HP Printers, regionalization issues

I've just arrived back in the UK from NZ, and brought most of my worldly goods with me, including my HP 3630 all-in-one printer. No problems until I ran out of colour ink. According to HP's own and Amazon's website, the compatible cartridge is 302XL, so bought 2 from Amazon.

They don't work.

After 36 hours of research, I find that HP has regionalized their printers and ink cartridges, similar to the con DVDs used to run.
The ink from the UK will not be recognized by the printer from NZ.

As many of our members traipse around the world on a regular basis, you should be aware of this con.

Theoretically, HP can issue a special code which will change the printer chip to recognise your current country, can change up to 3 times allegedly, but actually getting through to someone who will talk to you is almost impossible.

The answer seems to be don't buy HP.

I'm trying to get my ink cartridges refunded by Amazon, as they seem to be the warranty holders for the ink, and sold under "false pretenses"

I've just arrived back in the UK from NZ, and brought most of my worldly goods with me, including my HP 3630 all-in-one printer. No problems until I ran out of colour ink. According to HP's own and Amazon's website, the compatible cartridge is 302XL, so bought 2 from Amazon.

They don't work.

After 36 hours of research, I find that HP has regionalized their printers and ink cartridges, similar to the con DVDs used to run.

As many of our members traipse around the world on a regular basis, you should be aware of this con.

Theoretically, HP can issue a special code which will change the printer chip to recognise your current country, can change up to 3 times allegedly, but actually getting through to someone who will talk to you is almost impossible.

I'm trying to get my ink cartridges refunded by Amazon, as they seem to be the warranty holders for the ink, and sold under "false pretenses"
Looking at a site that I use to buy ink/toner from, it appears that the cartridge for your printer, HP 3630 should be #63XL both original inks or compatible.

1567977179730.png
1567977179730.png

Looking at a site that I use to buy ink/toner from, it appears that the cartridge for your printer, HP 3630 should be #63XL both original inks or compatible.

View attachment 415930View attachment 415930
It was the 63 cartridge I used when in NZ, but over in the UK, when you put in the printer (3630) it tells you the 302 is the one to use. 63s are available, but they ship them over from Oz, and it costs 3 times the local cartridge.

AArgh! F ing printer software! The work of the devil.
I have a Brother 34pipsqueak fortnightly that goes offline at no notice and takes 2 hours work to get the F er back to duty.
Hate printers!

Just bide your time and buy a brand new printer complete with inks for virtually the same price as the genuine hp ink would cost.
It's what I did recently. New ink was £22 or a new printer for £24. ;):boogie:

Just bide your time and buy a brand new printer complete with inks for virtually the same price as the genuine hp ink would cost.
Never a truer word was spoken.
Six months ago, I bought an HP Laser at a steal price of $329, normal retail $699. It came with a full set of toners and so far have not had to replace any.
I have priced a full set of HP Toner for this model and the price was about $750 for a full set.
Even if I paid the full retail for a new printer of the same designation, it would work out cheaper than buying a full set of HP Toners.

I agree, and was swithering about buying new cartridges or a new printer. Decided on cartridges, because the new and very cheap printers seem to be tied up to a subscription ink deal. So I now have two high capacity cartridges that I cannot use.

endure

GCM
I agree, and was swithering about buying new cartridges or a new printer. Decided on cartridges, because the new and very cheap printers seem to be tied up to a subscription ink deal. So I now have two high capacity cartridges that I cannot use.

If you're talking about HP Instant Ink you don't have to take the sub up and you can cancel any time.
I've got a Canon 5750. A full set of clone cartridges that work properly are a tenner from Amazon.

If you're talking about HP Instant Ink you don't have to take the sub up and you can cancel any time.
I've got a Canon 5750. A full set of clone cartridges that work properly are a tenner from Amazon.
Thanks for that. I'd read that you had to take out the HP Instant Ink to get the printer to work, and that it was difficult to cancel afterwards.

Finally got through to HP, phone number for reference is 0207 6600596

The tech tried for 45 minutes to reset my printer (once he finally realised what was going on) but couldn't, as he needed a set of the old working cartridges and a set of the new cartridges, and my old black cartridge had been binned.

Bugger.

New printer coming soon I suppose.

They don't work.

Unfortunately, not buying HP is not necessarily the solution - In Israel we had the same problem with Xerox printers purchased in the US. Not only the waste of money and not being able to use the printers but a shitload of time and aggravation until the cause of the problem was identified.

Latest Threads