How's Modernity Gents

Now the powers back great, but looking at putting in a redundancy power system as back up
Be careful. Bloke I knew in mid Wales bought an ex Mod diesel generator, one of those on a trailer types. Soon as there was a power cut he fired it up and half the valley turned up at his looking for hot food and drinks.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
It won't let you open the drawer to get it out :p
All praise the Goddess Anoia ! *

27c160d7cf086dff88df7fd85290a1b2.jpg

* Anoia is the Goddess of Things That Get Stuck in Drawers, a minor goddess on the Discworld. When someone rattles a drawer and cries "How can it close on the damned thing but not open with it? Who bought this? Do we ever use it?", even though the person might be genuinely irritated or even exasperated, it is as praise unto Anoia.

Be careful. Bloke I knew in mid Wales bought an ex Mod diesel generator, one of those on a trailer types. Soon as there was a power cut he fired it up and half the valley turned up at his looking for hot food and drinks.

11 KvA I seem to remember them being called.
All the comforts of home.

Don't get too excited. My Dad (near Fraserburgh) lost all power on Friday night. Restored at 23:00 Monday. Now it's gone off again, due to return at 18:00 tonight.
Don't bother with the official site giving updates Power Track. It is far from accurate. Luckily Scottish Power have set up camp in the village hall which is just across the road from my old Dad and are providing hot drinks and food, tapes of Vera Lynn, sandbags.
No sign of WRVS or Home Guard standing to as yet...
Anything he needs ? ,Peterhead area

Ding Dong!

Old-Salt
Have you had a good sh1t yet?

Asking on behalf of us concerned BAOR mob, as we were wondering how long a log you eventually laid. My personal best was 18 inches.
Reminds me of basic training when one morning I found myself heading to the traps to unload, only to find something brown and stinky the size of a draught excluder filling the bowl to the extent that 1/4 of the offending item was emerging from the water.
Upon returning to the 8 man room with a few comments, the Scotsman in the room said “aye that was me, I’ll get rid”
10 minutes later he walks back in and stated “that took a few chops with a coat hanger to chop it up a bit and a couple of flushes to get rid “

Yes, storm Arwen was being discussed https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/name-that-storm.246818/page-99 We knew there were power outages in the North East coast around Aberdeen and North East England but had no further detail beyond headlines. The point about modern technology is a good one though. Many of those houses have no heat without electricity. Combi boilers don't run without electricity. In terms of comms they are no better off, since modems and routers need power, just as much as computers.
Fossil fuels and wood burners have the advantage in a winter off the grid scenario,
No1 son and his girlfriend have just moved into their first proper home, a houseboat.
It does have diesel powered central heating but backup is a wood burning stove.
Best of both worlds and no council tax either!

No1 son and his girlfriend have just moved into their first proper home, a houseboat.
It does have diesel powered central heating but backup is a wood burning stove.
Best of both worlds and no council tax either!
..just mooring fees, licence and registration fees, and every few years, lifted out and inspected for worthiness. With the added attraction, when moored up at night, the chance some prats will try and set it adrift, break in, and on a few occasions set it alight. I live right by a black country canal, and some of the barges in the canal basin suffer the drunken fools and idiots that think its great fun to run along the roof, after a night on the pop. I do hope they have a robust sense of humour....and a gun licence! I wish them the very best of luck. :)

surfincivi

Old-Salt
10Kva Airlock Gennys. i had 4. Trailer mounted.

The smaller ones were 3.5 kVA onan generators. twin mounted in a trailer, or between the cab and box body of the radio trucks. ;) i had about 50 of them to look after.
Don’t forget the 27.5 KVA’s

Latest Threads