How's Modernity Gents

Apologies if this being discussed already, but this the first time I've had a signal in 4 days. Is up here in the land teuchters and sheep are still cut off from power and water, and the rest of the UK (but that's OK, we didn't like you much anyway).

Storm damage is immense, whole plantations 9f spruce and pine have been wiped out. But the buildings are OK, but as @Effendi will tell you, we build proper in this country.

It's not too bad though. We have an Aga, Fireplace, Oil Lamps and a well that I'm lowering buckets into.

Still I'm desperate for a shower, and a shit, I swear I'm going to lay a log that would traumatise a BAOR Veteran at Endex.

Hope you guys are all well. I'll be back here eventually.

Apologies if this is already being discussed, but can't search reliably due to appalling coverage, so Mods, please feel free to move it.
Yes, storm Arwen was being discussed https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/name-that-storm.246818/page-99 We knew there were power outages in the North East coast around Aberdeen and North East England but had no further detail beyond headlines. The point about modern technology is a good one though. Many of those houses have no heat without electricity. Combi boilers don't run without electricity. In terms of comms they are no better off, since modems and routers need power, just as much as computers.
Fossil fuels and wood burners have the advantage in a winter off the grid scenario,

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Do be carful with the chainsaw.
Hey look at the bright side, you will have plenty of firewood next winter!
How is the water situation?

Now the powers back great, but looking at putting in a redundancy power system as back up

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Yes, storm Arwen was being discussed https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/name-that-storm.246818/page-99 We knew there were power outages in the North East coast around Aberdeen and North East England but had no further detail beyond headlines. The point about modern technology is a good one though. Many of those houses have no heat without electricity. Combi boilers don't run without electricity. In terms of comms they are no better off, since modems and routers need power, just as much as computers.
Fossil fuels and wood burners have the advantage in a winter off the grid scenario,

Whilst full of sympathy for the puir wee hen, had to laugh at the lady our ever-vigilant state broadcaster had dug out of a snow bank in Aberfeldy :

' We had 2 weeks ago switched from an oil-fired system to a heat pump- which requires huge amounts of leccy to operate...so no heating just now , and ma Christmas shop is de-frosting in ma freezers.'

Throw another XR protester on the Rayburn hen - it'll be fine !

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer

One of my recommendations to the powers that be is to include a back up power system combo boilers, a micro CHP unit that would at least generate enough power to cover the electrical needs of the boiler, including a battery system.

And all new builds should have dual energy sources. Single source is liability. People can cope if they have heat and can cook. If your house is all electric, you're flecked.

One of my recommendations to the powers that be is to include a back up power system combo boilers, a micro CHP unit that would at least generate enough power to cover the electrical needs of the boiler, including a battery system.

And all new builds should have dual energy sources. Single source is liability. People can cope if they have heat and can cook. If your house is all electric, you're flecked.
I would have been in that position if we had lost power (we didn’t this time), as we have a combi-boiler and electric stove. Fortunately, I am a hopeless optimist and have two full cylinders of propane* for my barbecue grill for those long Scottish summer evenings…..

*Yes, propane, not butane. It’s a long story.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
I had to get the survival knife I use for Gardening to cut it up, it was blocked at the U bend and came up about 2 inches from the rim

Glad you weren't tempted to use the chainsaw to cut that log up...

even if it is RE SOP

You'd think that, I'd happily shit in the woods or a corner of a field if I was out working, or camping. But for some weird reason my bowels give up the ghost when the powers out. Fecking freak that I am.

Probably helps that my body is burning more calories atm, to compensate for the lack of heat
You have Power Assist fitted to your hoop?

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well that was an experience, I just said Grace to my Septic Tank

For what you are about to receive...

A dead Kenyan hooker?

Latest Threads