Howells puts foot in it again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by labrat, Jul 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oops!

Know your enemy is not just a sensible bit of military advice - it applies to politicians as well.

And it is something foreign minister Kim Howells should take to heart after an embarrassing clash with his Tory opposite number, Keith Simpson, during a debate on the Middle East crisis.

Mr Simpson had asked a detailed question about Israel's tactics in the current conflict when Mr Howells attempted a putdown.

"I am not a military strategist and I am not aware that he is...." he started to say before being swamped by a chorus of shouts of "yes he is" and, jokingly, "he's a general", from the Tory benches.

Much laughter at Mr Howell's blunder followed as the minister offered his apology, stating: "He's a general is he? I just thought he was a good bloke".

Just for the record, Mr Simpson is a military historian and has been director of Cranfield Security Studies Institute, Cranfield University, a senior lecturer in war studies and international affairs at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, and has written five books on military history

Or, put more simply, he knows what he is talking about.

:twisted: :twisted: