Howdens kitchens

I think this question might be a bit like, how longs a piece of string.
Are Howdens kitchens any good?
Got a friend who's an interior designer who said she gets a discount but as she doesn't do many kitchens Im thinking it won't be that good. I can buy the units at www.topclassjoinery.co.uk, it works out at almost 12k for 25 Tenby units but that doesn't include pelmets and end panels for the back of two 1000 base units. Does that sound about right? I don't want to go down the friend line if she's going to be more expensive and I have to back out.
Any help or insight is greatly appreciated.

pkf72

War Hero
Howdens were the main supplier of Kitchens for MFI along with schrieber who did the high end stuff for them.
I think that 12k sounds a lot for units (wall and base units I take it) does this include fitting ie plumbing and electrics?

Your matching wood coloured ends for your 1000 units as opposed the the white ones it comes with are approx £40-£50ish dependent on finish. Plinth or kick board are approx £30 a 3mtr length .

Have you had your design cad planned by a supplier or just a chippy with his measure?

Hope this helps

I designed it on the magnets planner, it's millimetre perfect. The howdens designer is coming on Friday to check the measurements. That is just 25 units no worktops, appliances or anything, 2 tall oven units, 2 larder units, 3x 500 wicker basket units, 1x 800 class unit and the rest are just basic base and wall units. Im thinking top class carpentry must be over priced as they're end panels were £160 and a 1000 base is £350.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
If I was spending £12K I'd ask a joiner to make solid wood units. Likely be cheaper.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Jarrod, thats what Im beginning to think. Im going to get Jans quote and see if her discount is any better cause Im not paying over 12K for units, pelmets and stuff and then it's got to be fitted.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Jarrod, thats what Im beginning to think. Im going to get Jans quote and see if her discount is any better cause Im not paying over 12K for units, pelmets and stuff and then it's got to be fitted.
Units in my motorhome are solid cherry, didn't cost anywhere near what you've been quoted for chipboard, course there's not as many but yours would lilkely be same size, most of mine are different.

Your probably right. If the units are 12K then the finished cost will be about 20K and for 20K I want more than chipboard and I want a proper solid back to the unit. The 12k came from me using an online kitchen planner and pricing it at top class carpentry. Solid Cherry sounds lovely, get a pic up to I see them please.

They spray the things with nasty acid lacquer, whatever the quality of the wood, which goes dull after 5 years, and peels after 10, stripping and re finishing is a major proccess, so personally I wouldn't touch the stuff. Its a bad investment unless you have a wax or oil finish that can be re polished ad infinitum.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Your probably right. If the units are 12K then the finished cost will be about 20K and for 20K I want more than chipboard and I want a proper solid back to the unit. The 12k came from me using an online kitchen planner and pricing it at top class carpentry. Solid Cherry sounds lovely, get a pic up to I see them please.
ImageUploadedByARRSE1406201206.180417.jpg
ImageUploadedByARRSE1406201235.285742.jpg
ImageUploadedByARRSE1406201274.369366.jpg

Maybe not what you'd want in a kitchen at home but you get the idea.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

You seem to have the tone of the place just right J.

It looks gay.

Lovely Jarrod but Im thinking not practical for my home. I seem to end up with everybody's kids on the school holidays, so much so that Im looking at people carriers.....

Was that 12k for a fitted kitchen or just for the units?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Guy about to do my kitchen (ex RN, husband of a work colleague) has a Howden account and swears by them. I am quite happy to go with them.

£12k is outrageous, shop around a bit.

John Lewis seem to be about the best for full project management of your new kitchen.

Alternatively look at ikea, it's a different way of doing things but at least you get a breakdown of costs. It's about £100 per unit for a tradesman to fit it.

£12k is outrageous, shop around a bit.

John Lewis seem to be about the best for full project management of your new kitchen.

Alternatively look at ikea, it's a different way of doing things but at least you get a breakdown of costs. It's about £100 per unit for a tradesman to fit it.
Your a star. Did Ikea in the old house and don't want to go there again it was a nightmare from start to finish. Thanks for the rough idea of fitting cost I had no idea how much would be involved with that. These units come already built so is that still roughly £100 a unit?

Not entirely sure, that's just what ikea had down.

Latest Threads