How Your US Navy Career Ends....On TV!

Sadly and clearly the CO was not familiar with the following verse from Rear Admiral Ronald Hopwood's "The Laws of the Navy":

"Dost think, in a moment of anger, 'Tis well with thy seniors to fight?
They prosper, who burn in the morning, The letters they wrote overnight;
For some there be, shelved and forgotten, With nothing to thank for their fate,
Save "That" (on a half-sheet of foolscap), Which a fool "had the honour to state......"

There, but for the grace of God....

Jack
Or, in modern parlance, don't hit the send button until you've slept on it.

endure

GCM
Or, in modern parlance, don't hit the send button until you've slept on it.
They prosper, who bin in the morning, The emails they wrote overnight;
For some there be, stored and forgotten, With nothing to thank for their fate,
Save "That" (on a screen of electrons), Which a fool "had the honour to state......"

They prosper, who bin in the morning, The emails they wrote overnight;
For some there be, stored and forgotten, With nothing to thank for their fate,
Save "That" (on a screen of electrons), Which a fool "had the honour to state......"
See post 21 ;)

Edited to add - oh FFS I didn't read it properly. I am off to paint the garden shed :)

Captain Crozier was sacked for making his CoC look like CoCks.

On a grimmer side, I hope none of those affected cross the bar, but if they do one heck of a shit-storm will descend on Washington. Obviously they are more concerned with PR than sailors' lives.
Our VSOs don't speak until retirement when they feel very, very safe. Though I do remember a commander telling Flag Officer Gib to keep his beak out. :cool:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
On a grimmer side, I hope none of those affected cross the bar, but if they do one heck of a shit-storm will descend on Washington. Obviously they are more concerned with PR than sailors' lives.
Our VSOs don't speak until retirement when they feel very, very safe. Though I do remember a commander telling Flag Officer Gib to keep his beak out. :cool:
Once upon a time, in a far distant Galaxy, an officer of my acquaint known to his admirers as 'The Prince of Darkness' spake thusly to the senior NATO commander in Europe at the time:

' I'm not starting World War III on your say so. '

Kosovo - 1999 - then Maj Gen Mike Jackson to Lt Gen Wesley Clark, SACEUR.

1585913750613.png

Last edited:
Popularity and effective military leadership; not necessarily the same thing.

'A cheering and applauding crowd of sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt wished farewell to their captain, who the Navy relieved of command after he raised concerns about the spreading coronavirus on his ship in a letter that was leaked to the media.

'Hundreds were pictured in the gathering in the ship’s hangar deck and many chanted Capt. Brett Crozier’s name in multiple videos posted to social media.'

Once upon a time, in a far distant Galaxy, an officer of my acquaint known to his admirers as 'The Prince of Darkness' spake thusly is to the senior NATO commander in Europe at the time:

View attachment 462210

Which neatly illustrates how toothless the NATO CoC is: national fallback channels, and the need to 'play nicely' with the other nations, will always trump it. Thankfully, Jacko had balls bigger than his eye sacks. Had the Corps level commander been US, the situation, and potential outcome, would have been very different.

The uploaded videos and memes are making it out that he certainly has the support of his crew..

Once upon a time, in a far distant Galaxy, an officer of my acquaint known to his admirers as 'The Prince of Darkness' spake thusly is to the senior NATO commander in Europe at the time:

View attachment 462210

Here you go, Goaty. A quote from one of the matelots. Made me think of you.
"“That’s how you send out one of the greatest captains you ever had,” someone says in the video, then using an acronym for greatest of all time, adds: “The GOAT, the man for the people.” " :cool:

Popularity and effective military leadership; not necessarily the same thing.

'A cheering and applauding crowd of sailors aboard the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt wished farewell to their captain, who the Navy relieved of command after he raised concerns about the spreading coronavirus on his ship in a letter that was leaked to the media.

'Hundreds were pictured in the gathering in the ship’s hangar deck and many chanted Capt. Brett Crozier’s name in multiple videos posted to social media.'

But it’s a pretty strong combat indicator if you have a crew the size of a NIMITZ Class CVN (which will be fairly diverse) on your side.

How many CO's do you know who were both toxic and popular with the blokes, shit leaders tend to be hated, no matter how nice they are.

endure

GCM

woger wabbit

War Hero
The issue was he told his CoC who told him to shut up and color.

The same CoC that told the COs of McCAIN and FITZGERALD to shut up and color.

He made a Command decision and put his people ahead of his career. I believe the previously held consensus around here was that is "A Good Thing".
"Shut up and color"???????

Latest Threads