How Your US Navy Career Ends....On TV!

Oh I suspect the army, navy, marines and CG will all be sniggering into their respective beers and trying to work out how to get a bit more budget for 2021...
And why not the USAF?

Oh Mr Mobley!
someone’s dug out the data and revealed to the media his trip to Guam to slag off the Captain cost US taxpayers $250,000

This is true. On the other hand, there are only 11 CVs in the fleet, and they are the top CO positions in the Navy. Out of the entire pool of officers (Granted, by law limited to aviators, but the USN still has more aircrew than most air forces), it's not unreasonable to think that they can expect to find 11 who are good at both.
Slightly digressing, it’s rare to find FAA be skipper of our aircraft carriers over the half century. I suppose

I wonder if we should,have the same format for an FAA chap to skipper likes of QE class.

cheers

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
@Sarastro has gone very quiet , strange that. Perhaps the Americans will sit up and notice how deadly Covid 19 is now.
I wish Capt Crozier well.
As far as I can tell, I am not dead.

Slightly digressing, it’s rare to find FAA be skipper of our aircraft carriers over the half century. I suppose

I wonder if we should,have the same format for an FAA chap to skipper likes of QE class.

cheers
it was a USN ‘lessons learned’ from their Fleet Problems during the 20’s into the 30’s, the carrier driver had to think aircraft, not big guns.
They developed the doctrine in the 30’s that carriers were offensive strategic weapons that could be used to strike an enemies homeland and actively challenge his air forces for air superiority.
Our carriers and doctrine stayed very much focused on Fleet defence.

cheers
He doesn't actually drive the boat. He's got a sort of 'sea captain' for that. Also Trump mentioned that Crozier had done some sort of nuclear power course, so it's obviously written in to the career path.

Opportunity knocks.

'As outbreaks debilitate the US navy, there are fears China may be using the coronavirus pandemic as cover for asserting control over the South China Sea.

'A Vietnamese fishing boat has been rammed and sunk. Military aircraft have landed at its artificial-island fortresses. And large-scale naval exercises has let everyone know China’s navy is still pushing the boundaries, hard.

'Meanwhile, the USS Theodore Roosevelt aircraft carrier strike group has retreated from the contested waterway in an unscheduled return to Guam – with hundreds of cases of COVID-19 on board. China’s Peoples Liberation Army knows this presents an opportunity. “The outbreak of COVID-19 has significantly lowered the US Navy’s warship deployment capability in the Asia-Pacific region,” an article on its official website declares.
The website insists not a single one of its soldiers, sailors or pilots had contracted COVID-19. Instead, the crisis had served to strengthen the combat readiness and resolve of the Chinese military.

'That has international affairs analysts worried that even a short-term withdrawal of US and international from the East and South China Seas could give Beijing the opportunity it has been waiting for. “I think China is exploiting the US Navy’s coronavirus challenges to improve its position in the South China Sea by giving the appearance it can and will operate there at will while the US is hamstrung,” former Pacific Command Joint Intelligence Centre director Carl Schuster told CNN.'

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
This is a hell of an article, but I'd disagree with the idea that it was Modly interpreting Trump's wishes, but rather carrying out Trump's request because Crozier's showed him up. Modly got hoofed when the whole thing backfired in the Whitehouse face.

The only surprise is that it took less than the week predicted.

'Donald Trump entered the dispute surrounding an ex-US Navy captain dismissed over coronavirus concerns by distancing himself from the former US Navy secretary who oversaw the firing.

“I don’t know him”, said Mr Trump on Tuesday as he accepted the resignation of the acting US Navy secretary Thomas Modly. On social media, an image circulated of the pair seated together during a sporting fixture between the US Navy and Army – contradicting the president’s comments.'

This is a hell of an article, but I'd disagree with the idea that it was Modly interpreting Trump's wishes, but rather carrying out Trump's request because Crozier's showed him up. Modly got hoofed when the whole thing backfired in the Whitehouse face.

In a similar vein, the conclusion to a longer article in the link below.

'Since Crozier was relieved of his command, three elements have arisen in his case that warrant a reevaluation of the civilian leadership of the Department of Defense. The first is the prescience of Crozier’s decision to sound the alarm, as coronavirus infections have quintupled among his crew since he penned his letter. The second is the obvious unfitness of men like Modly for high Pentagon responsibilities, and the doubt this affair casts on Esper.

'The third development, while the most predictable, should give pause to those believing they can serve honorably or apolitically in this administration: As the political winds have shifted around both the severity of the coronavirus epidemic and the public reaction to Crozier, so have the commander in chief’s statements. No one should feel pity for Modly, but it is ironic that after he bigfooted the Navy chain of command in a zealous attempt to please Trump, the mercurial commander in chief closed out Modly’s tenure by telling reporters: “I don’t know him.”

'All of this is disheartening, particularly for Americans who might normally look to the Department of Defense for stability and competence in turbulent times; the military remains one of the most trusted U.S. institutions, along with scientists. But the politics of this moment have disastrously infiltrated the armed forces. It’s small consolation that the blame cannot be laid entirely at the feet of military leadership. America is contending with its deadliest pandemic in a century—and with the consequences of abdicating its hard decisions to a craven class of political appointees who would rather be seen as trying to please the boss than take decisive actions to save lives.'

Meanwhile, in France.

'France on Sunday began an unprecedented operation to isolate 1,900 sailors after 50 naval personnel tested positive for COVID-19 aboard its nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Charles-de-Gaulle.

The flagship of the French navy docked in the southern port of Toulon, after cutting short its current mission in the Mediterranean and the Atlantic by 10 days because of the outbreak. Local authorities said a painstaking operation was now underway by land and sea to evacuate 1,900 sailors to ensure there was no risk of any further infection.

Three sailors had already been evacuated to hospital Toulon as a “precaution” before the ship docked. All the personnel will be tested and they will then be put into isolation for two weeks, with no physical contact allowed with their families, said the spokeswoman for the regional authorities, Christine Ribbe. “Our aim is to protect all our sailors and also their families with an unprecedented deployment,” she added. Only once the isolation period is over will the sailors be allowed home".

'From Tuesday, the ship itself will also be the subject of a major disinfection operation.'

The only surprise is that it took less than the week predicted.

'Donald Trump entered the dispute surrounding an ex-US Navy captain dismissed over coronavirus concerns by distancing himself from the former US Navy secretary who oversaw the firing.

“I don’t know him”, said Mr Trump on Tuesday as he accepted the resignation of the acting US Navy secretary Thomas Modly. On social media, an image circulated of the pair seated together during a sporting fixture between the US Navy and Army – contradicting the president’s comments.'

I think this has already happened.

Sure. Nobody is arguing with the principle of deterrence. They're arguing that the carrier being out of action for a few weeks doesn't really impact on its' role as a deterrent. I, also, said that the publicising of this spat has a very minor effect on any deterrence, because all it does is contribute an additional piece of evidence to an existing assessment about manpower and command among most NATO forces that has been obvious to all for a long time.

Unless China is literally planning to attack the US in the next month, the deterrent value of a carrier is that it does and will continue to exist with all of the capabilities it hosts, not what some Captain or crew did or thought some years ago (assuming that what they did or thought didn't sink it, of course).
And from a previous SACEUR.

'I have been a ship captain, a commodore in charge of a group of destroyers, and an admiral in command of a carrier strike group with a nuclear aircraft carrier, the USS Enterprise. In the course of my career, I made many hard choices at sea in both peace and combat — but I never faced the kind of hard choice that the captain of the carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt, Brett Crozier, just had to make.

'Faced with the coronavirus sweeping through his 5,000-sailor crew, he reached out to his chain of command and requested permission to abort his assigned mission patrolling the Pacific and South China Sea, and come to all stop at Guam to disinfect his ship and save his crew from unnecessary medical risks. The Navy has now relieved him of command of the carrier. How should we evaluate his actions in the face of an invisible but deadly foe?

<snip>

'Crozier certainly knows that the mission comes first. And in his heartfelt letter, he acknowledged that if we were in a war, he would simply do the best he could, hope most of the infected had only mild symptoms, and go to the fight weakened but hopefully operational. But the USS Theodore Roosevelt was not headed to war, a circumstance in which the health of the force has to come first. In this case, the extraordinary choice was to evacuate the crew (all but the 10% needed to run the reactor and disinfect the ship) and keep the ship parked in Guam for at least two weeks.'

The inevitable bad news.

'A sailor who tested positive for Covid-19 on the USS Theodore Roosevelt has died of the coronavirus, the US Navy said Monday.

'The Navy did not disclose the name of the sailor, who was admitted to the intensive care unit of a US Navy hospital on Thursday. Nearly 600 sailors on the Roosevelt have tested positive for Covid-19, the US Navy said in a statement, adding that 92% of the Roosevelt's crew members have been tested for the virus.'

Last edited: