How Your US Navy Career Ends....On TV!

Apologies if this is elsewhere but you may of heard about the US Navy Commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt Aircraft Carrier who took offence that his crew riddled with Covid19 were not allowed off the ship.
Well however well meaning he was, I think his sea-going career is no more than a pedalo on the local lake!

(Click through the rousing music!)
Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly and Adm. Michael Gilday, Chief of Naval Operations hold a news conference at the Pentagon, April 2, 2020.

The issue was that he bypassed his CoC who was literally in a cabin down the corridor.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
That took slightly longer than I thought......He will be rehabilitated the second the Orange One leaves office.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Apologies if this is elsewhere but you may of heard about the US Navy Commander of the USS Theodore Roosevelt Aircraft Carrier who took offence that his crew riddled with Covid19 were not allowed off the ship.
Well however well meaning he was, I think his sea-going career is no more than a pedalo on the local lake!

(Click through the rousing music!)
Acting Secretary of the Navy Thomas Modly and Adm. Michael Gilday, Chief of Naval Operations hold a news conference at the Pentagon, April 2, 2020.
He has probably been told he is on his last sea going appointment and the chance of advancement is nil. Time for retirement, although there are easier ways to go.

That took slightly longer than I thought......He will be rehabilitated the second the Orange One leaves office.
As will quite a few.

There's nothing there.
As said above, use the time bar and you can scroll past the music to the news conference part.

He has probably been told he is on his last sea going appointment and the chance of advancement is nil. Time for retirement, although there are easier ways to go.
Very wise observation.... Many an officer with one eye on a career after the military follow two paths:-
1. Insider who keeps his/her mouth shut and gets a job in the defence industry, business advisor.
2. Outsider, who sees opportunities by taking political sides.

A very few, follow a third way and actually speak the truth and call both sides of the political divide as equally responsible for failures.

The issue was that he bypassed his CoC who was literally in a cabin down the corridor.
The issue was he told his CoC who told him to shut up and color.

The same CoC that told the COs of McCAIN and FITZGERALD to shut up and color.

He made a Command decision and put his people ahead of his career. I believe the previously held consensus around here was that is "A Good Thing".

The promotion rate for CVN COs is relatively high - he was by all accounts nailed on for 1*.

A very few, follow a third way and actually speak the truth and call both sides of the political divide as equally responsible for failures.
....and yet you are a very big supporter of someone in power that does neither of those things.:)

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
The issue was he told his CoC who told him to shut up and color.

The same CoC that told the COs of McCAIN and FITZGERALD to shut up and color.
It does rather look like "my boss is a toxic asshole and cowardly weasel who's hurting my crew, I'm not going to let him get away with it, even if kills my career to damage his".

It will be interesting to see where his 1-up / 2-up head off to, once the dust settles.

It does rather look like "my boss is a toxic asshole and cowardly weasel who's hurting my crew, I'm not going to let him get away with it, even if kills my career to damage his".

It will be interesting to see where his 1-up / 2-up head off to, once the dust settles.
Promotion is the way it's done here.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
This thread wouldn't have something in common with one that is already going would it?
The number of threads is accelerating because Arrsers are in confined spaces.

Union Jack

Old-Salt
Sadly and clearly the CO was not familiar with the following verse from Rear Admiral Ronald Hopwood's "The Laws of the Navy":

"Dost think, in a moment of anger, 'Tis well with thy seniors to fight?
They prosper, who burn in the morning, The letters they wrote overnight;
For some there be, shelved and forgotten, With nothing to thank for their fate,
Save "That" (on a half-sheet of foolscap), Which a fool "had the honour to state......"

There, but for the grace of God....

Jack

Latest Threads