How would you redesign NATO - if at all?

Has NATO expanded too far?

• Yes

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • No

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Maybe, but it should stop where it is

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

edd1989

Old-Salt
On the back of articles like the one posted, is NATO past its used by date?
How would you redesign it if it were disbanded tomorrow? Or more likely, the USA decided to withdraw?

It Is Long Past Time to Stop Expanding NATO

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Dump the Frogs but keep the FFL under command; force the other countries to ensure that their 2% of GDP is spent on ensuring they have effective armed forces. Train all countries armed forces to a similar standard to UK/US/FFL troops. Ensure that the politicians have a spine, including UK & USA.

No need to expand but keep good relationships with neighbouring countries.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Invite the Russkis to join. Simples.

Bin Turkey, and probably Greece too; they were only there to keep the Soviets out of the Mediterranean and the Arab oilfields, both of which are now swarming with Russians.
US is likely to withdraw from Afghan soon, which will reduce the need for bases in Europe; as US withdraws to CONUS, watch the EU nations suddenly smell coffee and wske up.

Dump the Frogs but keep the FFL under command; force the other countries to ensure that their 2% of GDP is spent on ensuring they have effective armed forces. Train all countries armed forces to a similar standard to UK/US/FFL troops. Ensure that the politicians have a spine, including UK & USA.

That 2% target the Fatherland "apparently now aspires to contributing to" by 2030?
And still won't even then.
Things may have changed a tad by that time, to their (at that time) apparent and obvious surprise.
Keep all of the Frogs, sack their politicians and command structure.
Compulsory military service is coming back in Sweden and elsewhere, the reopening of former Cold War bunkers and other sites too.
Baltic states are re-arming with UK Forces also stationed there on a rotational basis.
It is big money being spent by some, but not by whom?
Ditch the Fatherland instead.

As post #3. this would negate tensions in Europe, and hopefully, give North Korea and china seconds thoughts.......very simplistic and naïve ......it will not, and cannot happen,.

Decimate the ranks of NATO civil servants.........then spend the money on stonking kit.

Open a humungous NATO base down in the warmer southern european with a multinational residency to allow for year round training. This was the subject of a feasibility study proposal for a NATO multi-national SF unit and training centre bak in the 80's.

The French are, and will continue to be, tied up doing internal security at home and swanning about in Africa.
The Nordics are as afraid of their new citizens as they are of Russian expansion.
The Baltics are doing their best under the circumstances, the Romanians, Bulgars and Hungarians little more than speed bumps, the Italians busy keeping a low profile and trying to stem the flow of MENA fifth columnists.
The Germans totally reliant on Russian winter fuel, and with their own established and more recent islamic citizens, having to keep an eye in both directions.
The Irish, who knows.
Perhaps an independent, post Brexit, UK should just ally with Russia as per historic precedents, and leave mainland Europe to sort out its internal problems first.

NATO has imo bitten off more than it can chew with taking in the Baltic States and ‘partnerships’ in the Balkans and with Ukraine etc. However, we are where we are and there is no mechanism to force a member to leave.

After Vlad’s excursions in to E Ukraine, Crimea, S Ossetia and keeping troops on Transnistria, the writing could be said to be in the wall. Whether the Western European nations actually believe that, take notice and spend 2% of GDP is doubtful. At least until Vlad’s next excursion for some more lebensraum.

I don’t agree entirely with the Russian viewpoint made in the article either. That’s part of their mantra. If you look at Russian activity in the arctic, Belarus and Libya etc it can be seen that Russia is encircling Europe. However, until it affects Pierre and his cafe au lait and pain au chocolat, nothing will be done.

NATO has reached its limit imo and should look to partners that can provide and assist rather than just say ‘they’re a part of’ for the future.

As post #3. this would negate tensions in Europe, and hopefully, give North Korea and china seconds thoughts.......very simplistic and naïve ......it will not, and cannot happen,.
On a previous thread about NATO a long time ago, Putin was asked that question:
My bold
DAVID FROST:
Tell me about your views on NATO if you would. Do you see NATO as a
potential partner, or a rival or an enemy?

PUTIN:
Russia is part of the European culture. And I cannot imagine my own country
in isolation from Europe and what we often call the civilised world. So it is
hard for me to visualise NATO as an enemy. I think even posing the question
this way will not do any good to Russia or the world. The very question is
capable of causing damage. Russia strives for equitable and candid relations
with its partners. The main problem here lies in attempts to discard previously
agreed common instruments - mainly in resolving issues of international
security. We are open to equitable co-operation, to partnership. We believe
we can talk about more profound integration with NATO but only if Russia is
regarded an equal partner. You are aware we have been constantly voicing
our opposition to NATO's eastward expansion.

DAVID FROST:
Is it possible Russia could join NATO?

PUTIN:
I don't see why not. I would not rule out such a possibility - but I repeat - if and
when Russia's views are taken into account as those of an equal partner.
I
want to stress this again and again. The situation that was laid down in the
founding principles of the United Nations - that was the situation that obtained
in the world at the end of World War Two. All right, the situation may have
changed. Let's assume there is a desire on the part of those who perceive the
change to install new mechanisms of ensuring international security. But
pretending - or proceeding from the assumption - that Russia has nothing to
do with it and trying to exclude it from this process is hardly feasible. And
when we talk about our opposition to NATO's expansion - mind you, we have
never ever declared any region of the world a zone of our special interests, I
prefer to talk about strategic partnership. Its attempts to exclude us from the
process is what causes opposition and concern on our part. But that does not
mean we are going to shut ourselves off from the rest of the world.
Isolationism is not an option.

Disagree because for all their baggage the Frogs are useful

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The French are, and will continue to be, tied up doing internal security at home and swanning about in Africa.
The Nordics are as afraid of their new citizens as they are of Russian expansion.
The Baltics are doing their best under the circumstances, the Romanians, Bulgars and Hungarians little more than speed bumps, the Italians busy keeping a low profile and trying to stem the flow of MENA fifth columnists.
The Germans totally reliant on Russian winter fuel, and with their own established and more recent islamic citizens, having to keep an eye in both directions.
The Irish, who knows.
Perhaps an independent, post Brexit, UK should just ally with Russia as per historic precedents, and leave mainland Europe to sort out its internal problems first.

Ooh, I missed that; just when did Ireland join NATO?

Latest Threads