How would Ukraine have coped if it had been our Armed Forces defending?

I'd be more interested to see how many people would heed the call if conscription was brought back in. I suspect there would be a lot of teddies getting thrown out the pram.
I still think there is a massive proportion of the country that would be loyal to the monarch and to their fellow countrymen/women..

Especially nowadays with 24/7 media and social media influence, you could set the narrative to sign those who are on the fence up.

I'd be more interested to see how many people would heed the call if conscription was brought back in. I suspect there would be a lot of teddies getting thrown out the pram.
Conscription will never be on the cards.

So you can forget that one.

If the shit hit the fan big style and it stayed conventional, it would have to be enacted.

I'm sure no-one though it would come back 18 years after WW1.

If the shit hit the fan big style and it stayed conventional, it would have to be enacted.

I'm sure no-one though it would come back 18 years after WW1.
You can fit the army into Wembley Stadium.

If it hit the fan, it wouldn't stay conventional.

964ST

LE
Couple of conditions:
  • The number of troops increased by a third to match the numbers in Ukraine's Armed Forces
  • No troops on overseas deployments, all in Ukraine
  • Kit, weapons, TTPs etc all per UK spec and UK numbers
  • No Article 5
While I have little doubt we have a substantial qualitative superiority in many areas (CR2, T45. QNLZ Astutes Typhoon for starters) the numbers are low.

I wonder if anyone has already given thought to this in the MoD...
It would have escalated to a „War“ of attrition! Which would have laid waste to the Ukrain (as a non essential asset for Russia). Very Unpleasant!

DarkBrig

War Hero
Isn't the point of conscription being that heeding the call isn't optional?
In todays modern world where your sex is optional and everyone is entitled to everything they want, I'd be surprised if Digby brown or Leigh Day, haven't got their legal arguments ready by now.

slick

LE

Hypothetically, if the shit hit the fan, the UK government stated that all males between the ages of 18 and 60 could not leave, had to pick up a rifle and defend the country. How many in that age demographic would be heading to the nearest channel port (especially those with a second passport) ?

Hypothetically, if the shit hit the fan, the UK government stated that all males between the ages of 18 and 60 could not leave, had to pick up a rifle and defend the country. How many in that age demographic would be heading to the nearest channel port (especially those with a second passport) ?
We hope?

You can fit the army into Wembley Stadium.

If it hit the fan, it wouldn't stay conventional.
I genuinely don't think nukes would be used by any Western power bar the homeland being under threat of collapse.

If it came to that I am of the belief that there would be a very large number of individuals of EEA nationality who would have to be physically restrained from going full Reinhardt - there are a lot of Eastern Europeans in the UK who have a rather negative view of Russia.

There are also ALOT of fairly recent ex-military who know exactly how to seed the ground with effective IEDs - there wouldn’t be an inch of ground on our border that an enemy would feel confident walking over without searching first.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
It would cause havoc for the QM's department, the old excuse of 'issued in theatre' would be a problem

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
... and the RAF would be furious as there wouldn't be 3 days of ****** people about to get into theatre

If it came to that I am of the belief that there would be a very large number of individuals of EEA nationality who would have to be physically restrained from going full Reinhardt - there are a lot of Eastern Europeans in the UK who have a rather negative view of Russia.

There are also ALOT of fairly recent ex-military who know exactly how to seed the ground with effective IEDs - there wouldn’t be an inch of ground on our border that an enemy would feel confident walking over without searching first.
To be fair to walk over the border on the mainland, they'd have to be Jesus and have the ability to walk on water lol.

Instead of sticking to fighting a defensive war that we were already winning by bleeding the enemy white, we would have diverted a huge proportion of our men, ammo and resources into vainglorious and pointless counter-attack, no doubt led by airborne forces as part of a desperate ploy to remain relevant and demonstrate the value of parachute trained forces.

The army would still be trying to impose peacetime mileage and wear conditions on armoured units in order to avoid running out of spare parts, the RAF would have only three planes left operational due to the same spare parts crisis alongside having crashed the rest into a hillside while trying to neutralise enemy AA systems prior to aforementioned para drop.

And nobody would have heard from the Royal Navy in two weeks as they sought to avoid detection by anyone.

depends if we are talking a rifle orTHAT rifle

706 mile from Odessa to Moscow.. Vlad would end up getting airmail first class.
Well, if some German PPL can land a C172 in Red Square with the only opposition from a Russian traffic warden who remarked “you cannot park that here” (in Russian of course).

Instead of sticking to fighting a defensive war that we were already winning by bleeding the enemy white, we would have diverted a huge proportion of our men, ammo and resources into vainglorious and pointless counter-attack, no doubt led by airborne forces as part of a desperate ploy to remain relevant and demonstrate the value of parachute trained forces.

The army would still be trying to impose peacetime mileage and wear conditions on armoured units in order to avoid running out of spare parts, the RAF would have only three planes left operational due to the same spare parts crisis alongside having crashed the rest into a hillside while trying to neutralise enemy AA systems prior to aforementioned para drop.

And nobody would have heard from the Royal Navy in two weeks as they sought to avoid detection by anyone.
That's really unfair, the RN would be off organizing a strategic cocktail party.

Latest Threads