How will those loveable rogues get by...?

B

Biscuits_AB

I'm waiting for the Mail's headline "Scrap Metal Industry Faces Meltdown."
More like "Thieving Romany/Irish/other Johnnie Foreigner unemployment figures to rise and benefits to be paid by you, the British taxpayer!"

Cope? Easily- It'll just go in containers to Eastern Europe.
Like all the rest of the stuff nicked off farms and building sites.

Tbf even if bae produced the scrap the Mod would ask for it to be diversity compliant and
Made of non magnetic or ferrous steel
Half way through te build
the treasury would decide to pay for it a 10 years etc

I'm waiting for, 'Of course, if BAE produced the scrap it'd be over-specced, not work, cost millions more than any other scrap, and be 10 years late.'
Oddly enough the BAe scrap is such high end quality the scrap value far outweighs the normal stuff. When I worked there we did a stock audit in the raw material stores and one off cut of titanium sheet had a scrap value of over £4k.

Oddly enough the BAe scrap is such high end quality the scrap value far outweighs the normal stuff. When I worked there we did a stock audit in the raw material stores and one off cut of titanium sheet had a scrap value of over £4k.
Ooh, then there's the Daily Hate headline: "Scandal as BAE Systems throws £4k of tax-payer's money in the bin in just one careless act".

... followed by weeks of doing to death a non-story. :-D

TBH because of the size of it and the fact it had passed it's use by date, yes there is a use by date on certain metals, it was no further use for production.

The reason I remember it so well was because someone was caught by security trying to smuggle it out of the factory. The excuse he gave was that he was going to use it to replace his coal fire-back. if he'd managed it it would have been the most expensive fire-back in history.

Then of course there was the case of the Harrier engine that walked......

Then of course there was the case of the Harrier engine that walked......[/QUOTE]

I'd rather one that flew.

My old man was a scrap metal merchant and I remember going to work with him as a kid in the 80s. It was great, rummaging through all the different boxes of medals, winners cups, old cut up weapon parts, brass shell casings and loads of old Naval scrap from Portsmouth Dockyard.

B

Biscuits_AB

My old man was a scrap metal merchant and I remember going to work with him as a kid in the 80s. It was great, rummaging through all the different boxes of medals, winners cups, old cut up weapon parts, brass shell casings and loads of old Naval scrap from Portsmouth Dockyard.
Pikey.

Scrappy Walt,,,,,

An acquaintance was one of coppers tasked with collecting up a lot of legally held guns when it was decided that only the law-abiding were no longer to have them.

Given that pattern rooms etc only need so many old Mausers and the like, there was a lot of history went into the smelter as high-grade 'scrap'.

A shocking waste, given that the tightening of gun laws has done the square root of **** all to arrest gun crime.

So the "Legitimate Scrap Metal Dealers" who have been buying brand new looking "Scrap" from 6 tracksuited fuckwits in a white ford transit for years are just going to say "Sorry Chaps, I'm a legitimate business owner and I don't deal with your type anymore."

Worry not. You'll still be able to get £20 for your bits and bobs of metal.