How will those loveable rogues get by...?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Cold_Collation, Jan 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

2. I'd climb on the bus but some pikey nicked the wheels and flogged them for scrap.
  3. I'm waiting for the Mail's headline "Scrap Metal Industry Faces Meltdown."
    • Like Like x 5
  4. More like "Thieving Romany/Irish/other Johnnie Foreigner unemployment figures to rise and benefits to be paid by you, the British taxpayer!"
  5. Cold_Collation

I'm waiting for, 'Of course, if BAE produced the scrap it'd be over-specced, not work, cost millions more than any other scrap, and be 10 years late.'
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Good news. Those memorial plaques don't get melted down by themselves.
  7. Cope? Easily- It'll just go in containers to Eastern Europe.
    Like all the rest of the stuff nicked off farms and building sites.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Cold_Collation

Sadly, only too ******* true...
  9. Tbf even if bae produced the scrap the Mod would ask for it to be diversity compliant and
    Made of non magnetic or ferrous steel
    Half way through te build
    the treasury would decide to pay for it a 10 years etc
  10. Oddly enough the BAe scrap is such high end quality the scrap value far outweighs the normal stuff. When I worked there we did a stock audit in the raw material stores and one off cut of titanium sheet had a scrap value of over £4k.
  11. Cold_Collation

Ooh, then there's the Daily Hate headline: "Scandal as BAE Systems throws £4k of tax-payer's money in the bin in just one careless act".

... followed by weeks of doing to death a non-story. :-D
  12. TBH because of the size of it and the fact it had passed it's use by date, yes there is a use by date on certain metals, it was no further use for production.

The reason I remember it so well was because someone was caught by security trying to smuggle it out of the factory. The excuse he gave was that he was going to use it to replace his coal fire-back. if he'd managed it it would have been the most expensive fire-back in history.

Then of course there was the case of the Harrier engine that walked......
  13. Cold_Collation

Shocking the things we come up with that we never put into production...
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Then of course there was the case of the Harrier engine that walked......[/QUOTE]

I'd rather one that flew.
  15. .
    My old man was a scrap metal merchant and I remember going to work with him as a kid in the 80s. It was great, rummaging through all the different boxes of medals, winners cups, old cut up weapon parts, brass shell casings and loads of old Naval scrap from Portsmouth Dockyard.