How will the switch to Capita affect my recruitment?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by TobySeb, Mar 27, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've had my interviews and am currently preparing for Briefing, but I applied before the NRC took over, so how will the switch affect my recruitment, if at all?

2. I thought that after April you had to attend a medical rather than have your GP submit the health questionairre info. You shouldnt worry though, they will tell you where you need to be and when.
  3. It sounds like you're in the same position as me. After having to cancel my Briefing in March, I was told by a now-redundant staff member at Westbury to get in touch with the Westbury medical board after March 26th if I want a medical examination done there. Alternatively, I could wait until April 5th and then contact a certain James Piffy to arrange a medical somewhere closer to home, provided that I haven't been contacted by the NRC by then. Either way, I will have to have a medical done before the Briefing, so the same is probably true for you too.

It's best to get in touch with Westbury directly and then inform your ACA of any changes if necessary. Then again, I think I recall being told that the ACA's role is being changed too, so I'm not sure whether your ACA will be still around anymore.

If someone who is in the know can correct me, please do!
  4. Thanks for the input, Count
    I'm currently working on fitness and my ACA "put me on pause" and told me to call him when I'm ready so he can get the ball rolling. I haven't heard anything about any changes to my point of contact or application process, but if I do I'll post on here

Looking at the Capita website for the "Army Recruitment Project" it does talk about job vacancies for 'Assessment and Selection Centres', though what role these centres play is not mentioned...
  5. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

These jobs are for people to work there as civilians, not for potential Army entrants.
  6. Sorry if I was unclear, I understand the website, my point was to speculate on what role the centres would play in recruitment
  7. Toby - you look like a proper raving bender.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. And that's relevant to this topic how exactly?
  9. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

10. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

Crossed wires there, the jobs are at what are currently the ADSC(s). The jobs vary but will still be doing the selection side of life. I know a couple of LSL recruiters who have taken jobs and they will be DS staff.
  11. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

Perhaps time will tell how Capita fare. It would be interesting to understand if they've been contracted in an incentivised manner to reduce wasteage in the training pipeline.

I wonder though how would people feel if we used a company to replace Career Management? Even as a Matelot I've had recourse to deal with MS div and tbh they seemed ok, particularly when compared with their Naval counterpart but generally I feel we'd be better served by a true, more permanent, HR staff be that a company, CS even some form of MSF/FTRS mix.
  12. A massively inefficient resource draining organisation full of little empires, no business acumen and a sense of entitlement and resentment about the fact that 'we've always done it this way, how dare you question us' is being taken over by Capita?

I wouldnt wax too lyrical about how amazing the careers empire was. It was home to shocking waste of public money. Its model seemed to ignore the reality that our recruit pool are internet savvy and want info now and not in 3 weeks time. No other public or private sector organisation sees the need to run an equivalent recruitment system, which should say something.
    Ultimately military recruitment is a very simple process of getting fit young intellugent people to demonstrate a relativly basic measure of potential prior to commencing training.
    Bluntly at a time of record youth unemployment if the army is struggling to recruit, then this doesnt act as a vote of confidence in the careers service.
    A good move and decades overdue in my book.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Probably. The quality of service given by different ACAs, AFCOs etc was shockingly variable but it remains to be seen whether that will be improved by putting the task in the hands of what amounts to close-to-minimum-wage call-centre staff rather than serving and recently ex soldiers and officers. If we just wanted to save money we might as well have located the NRC in Mumbai rather than Upavon.