How will the Lib Dem rank and file react?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, May 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mass defections to the Labour Party or will that No10 sauce prove to good to resist?

2. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I'd imagine a chunk to Labour, but that won't be a one way street at a guess. Then some more to the greens. Also dependent on how the coalition works and the contents of their next manifesto. They managed to get the policies they could with 50 odd seats, I'd guess they'll say 'Want us to do more? More of you need to vote for us!'

To be honest given the calibre of the people throwing hissy fits, the party may be better off without them. Liberals are naturally pragmatic.

3. ... the problem is that a lot of the rank-and-file of the Lib Dems are not liberals in the strictest sense of the word, but social Democrats who fell out with the Labour Party.

Witness the beardie wierdy with the sandwich board last night trying to get in the way of the cameras outside Limp HQ -- he perfectly epitomised the stereotype LibDem.

If the few remaining Gladstonians/Orange bookers manage to come to the fore, then the coalition should work just peachy.

4. you got to trim out the dead wood now and then............................

chaos in goverment. loving it.

arnt these great days??? :D

5. My thoughts too. Cameron may be forcing the Lib Dems to grow up and stop being the party of nut cutlet eating all things to all men and all things to none party.

6. I did like the comment on R4 last night when the Lib Dems were described as the party of wind turbines who now had the shocking situation of coming up with policies which might actually be implemented...

7. I reckon that at the next General Election the Lib-Dems might be returning to those long decades when they managed to win just a dozen seats or less. If that happens it'll be a situation to be regretted, by myself at least - unless, of course, a PR bandwagon develops and rescues them from that fate.

8. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

My guess is that the unions and rent a mob will also help over the next 5 years...

9. When the Real Liberals and the Continuity SDP have peeled off, you should find a pragmatic core who will (maybe) try and work with the Tories in the national interest (remember that old thing?)

There ain't going to be much point in joining Labour, as they are already fighting like cats in a sack for their own Party leadership. The last thing the Bruvvers need now is some well intentioned cardigan wearing mueslivores turning up on their doorstep with a hopeful look on their (bearded) faces.

10. I think a lot will go along with the leadership and there will be one or two who will say "I am not working with Satan, I am off" like Whet says he was going to do :)

11. Let us ask this question after the count at the next General Election.

12. It'll be interesting to see how they react once Cameron and Clegg start opening the previously closed records as to just how deep in the poo we really are!!

13. Hear Hear, they ain't found the shreddings yet, time for all polititions to grow up and do the job in hand, namely dragging our country out of this mess.

14. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

In many ways the Lib Dems aren't a party like Labour and the Tories, which are both 'tribal' groupings (and Labour are fcuking cheeky to suggest that they are in some way progressive where the Tories aren't) but a kind of coalition of the dispossessed, representing a massive range of views from quite right wing, to extreme leftism. The real weirdy beardies will wander off somewhere else (I'd guess the Greens rather than Labour), whilst I suspect that quite a few will eventually cotton on to the fact that they are finally going to get some party policy enacted at the national level and become increasingly enthusiastic about the whole thing.

It seems to me that if Cameron and Clegg play their cards right, they now have an opportunity to see off Labour as a threat for a good few years by establishing a socially liberal, fiscally conservative hegemony in UK politics which, I suspect, many will find attractive. I wait with 'bated breath... :)

15. As a classical liberal/libertarian, I hope you are correct. I just hope that the socially liberal portion is driven by the "right liberals" (do what you want provided it doesn't pick my pocket or break my leg-types) and not by the "left liberals" (do what you like provided we agree with it, minorities need preferential treatment, ban things we don't like, bad behaviour from certain groups is always excused because it's not their fault innit-types).

There are plenty of the former in the Conservative party, and there are still some around in the Lib Dems, as I said up the thread.

Hopefully the latter types will wander off to the Greens and oblivion.