How will my war pension , damaged hips, be affected if I have hip replacement.

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by Clegcam, Oct 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

first of all this is my first post so hi to all members.

My question, above, has been nagging me for some time. I'm in my early sixties and have retired. Would my war pension be reduced because my condition would have improved or not?

Also are war pensions for life?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Phone the RBL mate.
  3. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Why would he want to contact them, they're bloody Red Forces when it comes to war pensions and afcs.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The simple answer is if your condition changes you have to inform the Veteran's agency. You will be subject to another medical and if the % of disabilty has changed , so will your pension. The other side, which hopefully won't happen to you, is that the operation may make things worse. Either way it may affect your pension. Phone your already assigned Veteran's Welfare Officer for advice.
    If you don't know who your VWO is call the Veterans Welfare Centre's free helpline on 0800 169 2277
  5. Thanks all for the useful replies, was hoping someone might have experienced my kind of situation.
  6. What percentage are you on now and what does your own doctor say will be the improvement in your condition after the op?

Oh and war pensions are paid until you snuff it, nothing for dependents/widows etc after you're gone.
  7. Unless the death is attributable to the condition for which the War Pension is paid.
  8. Yep sorry, forgot about that bit. Extremely unlikely to happen in my case so I tend to forget that bit..
  9. No worries :)
  10. Thanks, I'm on 20% at the moment and if the op goes well then I should be a lot better.
    I've put the op off for as long as possible because in reality hip replacements only last for about 8 years if you are moderately active.
    Incidently there is a new hip replacement procedure which is light years ahead in advancement and long term lastability called 'hip resurfacing' which I hope to have.
  11. Hi we have a lad at work ex bootie he had a hip replacement and his war pension increased from 20% not sure what too but it was considerable
  12. Thanks Geordie,

I wonder was that because the outcome of the new hips was bad or the medical board class having artificial hips is grounds for greater disability.

I hope your friend was capable of having the new type of hip replacement called 'HIP RESURFACING' which are far better in most cases than the traditional hip replacement.

For the benefit of readers who may need hip replacement now or in the future please, please read up about hip resurfacing and get your self with a hip resurfacing consultant . There are some consultants who would have you believe that a conventional hip op is sufficient but the new hip surfacing is light years ahead in most cases although there are some people who will not be suitable for hip resurfacing but only a minor proportion. With hip resurfacing, the ball of the femur is retained and capped, not sawn off and then a metal spike driven down ones femur as with the traditional op. Resurfacing has been on the go for some 13 years and they are lasting very well with little failures so far and they feel natural and one can continue to do most sports with them including judo and rock climing although running is not advised.
  13. As far as I know it increased because he had to have the operation, I will have a word when I next run into him and try and get some facts cheers