How well regarded is the OUBS

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by parasigs, Feb 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guys

Im looking at starting a Diploma of Higher Education with the Open Uni Business School and then hopefully to a BA Business Studies.

My question is...

How well regarded is the Open Uni Business School by employers?

Any employers/recruiters want to give there opinions?

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I have a Diploma in Management Studies from them.

No employer or Recruitment Agent has ever expressed an interest in it, or asked what it meant, or whether it was useful for my job.

It's never been mentioned at Interviews, nor has the OU or OUBS.

Shame all my hard work and that high grade are perceived so lightly. I suspect that applies to a lot of degrees though, once you get past a certain level of experience. Might be different for a youngster (I did it in my thirties) or for someone changing into a new career.
  3. I kinda agree with Grownup_r... degrees are the domain of younglins'. Experience and proof of delivery counts. A degree props it up but generally in left at the door post 21 yrs old. Only **** people like government insist on it.
  4. Once you're past 30, employers are looking for a track record, not a degree (unless it's an MBA from one of the top business schools). The problem if you're serving is that the education centres only offer you OUBS, Leeds and Bournemouth, or Newcastle because they've got the contract for CLM accreditation.
  5. Spot on - the fact that you have delivered "something" to Time, cost and quality will gain you entry through the front door.

I have found that employers and myself - when looking at CV's always ask "what can this person do for the business" - a CV that is all about "I did this and that" will not stand.

Always go with what you can do - a CV is a sales pitch afterall
  6. I agree with the above, in general

However most CV's are electronically filtered these days and no matter how good you are if the correct key words are not there then no human eye will ever look at it.

So an OUBS qual may not be a job clincher it may be just enough to get a glance from a human eye, and as such an interview.

Degrees are considered entry level nowadays,
  7. An OU Degree can help, but it does depend on if it helps you within your trade/job.
    As most have said before after a certain age most jobs go on experience you have.
  8. Every single role I applied for on leaving stated in the educational requirements section: minimum standard degree or equivalent.

I still have no idea what they definitively call an equivalent but I'm pretty sure that without one I would never have made it to interview. Meeting the requirements of the job spec is the first stage in the sifting process. The rest is about you communicating what you have done in the past to demonstrate your ability and how you can apply your skills and abilities to the companies advantage.

Qualifications are only bits of paper and unless they are vocational they don't demonstrate competency, but they do illustrate that your level of education is on a par with other people in the company doing the job successfully.
  9. Guys, Im looking at a degree not just for career wise but also because I want one. Tick it off my list if you like.

I just dont want to do it with the OUBS for it to be looked down on but I have been assured by various recruiters that it is held in as higher reagrd as any other uni.

After my diploma is complete and I come back from the pit was thinking I might top up to a full degree fulltime for a year with a conventional uni anyway but time will tell.......
  10. OU degrees are well-regarded by employers/recruiters who are specifically looking for academic credibility. They are generally much better-regarded than those from 'new' universities. I have worked as a lecturer/external examiner for a number of unis and woudl definitely rate the calibre of work/tuition at the OU as amongst the best I've seen.
  11. may i ask

why is it held in regard? is it as you stated related to tuition?

Im assuming most OU lecturers are also full time lecturers elsewhere, so also assuming the OU can pick and choose?

How is the manner in which study was completed i.e. in cahoots with full time work - viewed?

not a loaded question its just good to hear from someone with your perspective
  12. There are a number of reasons. Partly it is the fact the way it is funded, so, unlike other HEIs since the expansion of the uni sector, you don't have to have high pass rates to guarantee your job/income/future of your course. You do to some extent, but nowhere near as much as in the badly-regarded unis. Partly it is the fact that when it was set up, it was ridiculed by some sectors of the academic community, and therefore set rigorous measures in place to ensure the standards were high. While they may have dropped since, they haven't dropped as much as most of therest of the sector.

Im assuming most OU lecturers are also full time lecturers elsewhere, so also assuming the OU can pick and choose?

Not always. I don't work for any other uni at the mo (though I have, in the past, for worked for both very good ones and atrocious ones alongside the OU) I teach in a small independent school, copywrite and copy edit and do a fair bit of private tuition. That nature of OU study now - with the use of the internet - means there is a much closer relationship between the student and tutor. It also means that both have to work in a much more timely and organised way to meet their targets - in some ways it is more pressured than a 'normal' uni environment because failure to meet undergraduate deadlines will incur the same sort of penalties that are only applied to postgrads in meatspace. I have never been 'encouraged' to bump grades up for my OU students in the way I have at other places.

If employers and recruiters know their stuff, they know that successful OU students, who combine study with work etc and are required to undertake much more independent study, demonstrate good time/project management skills. It suits certain courses better than others; science and languages are harder to manage on an OU course because they require consistent practical application and a rapid, cumulative approach to learning.

not a loaded question its just good to hear from someone with your perspective

That's fine. You can tell just what a dedicated tutor I am by the fact that I have stayed in tonight do my marking and feedback and am footling about on here instead :)
  13. An example:

Joined Army 1983 - with a Dental Diploma
    Had a fantastic 23 years - Fond memories
    Did "A" Levels and CGI for a few years - played around - not getting anyware ;-)
    Did an Hons degree with OU - really enjoyed it - started to network with people

Did the NVQ D32 course in Catterick - thanks lads - very well run

Result: left (would have stayed in - but another story) - it was the Degree and PRINCE2 that got me my role.

Since leaving - half way through an MBA with the OU and have done a few Post Grad courses - so

Everyday is a School day :)

Good luck and all the very best
  14. Hey, you're in good company. I'm doing B820 "Strategy" at the mo.
  15. imo, anyone who can do an OU degree AND hold down a job - esp in the Militaary will get full credit from an employer. I know I couldn't hack it so "respect" to those that do

same applies to the ones that give you credit for full CLM08 - but don't have the OU reputation