Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How was YOUR Previous Christmas and NEW Year experience ?

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
I'm sure we all have a lot of things under our belt, including overseas tours and unaccompanied ( no family ) forays overseas ( Doesnt include Wales ).....

To start it off, mine was in the Maldives in the 1970's , when most of the Lads on Gan, Hittadu et al, were pretty legless towards the end of December..............

Miine was to man (person) the Radio Comms office and to make sure all the HF, VHF and UHF tranmitters and Receivers wore still working...........

We were expecting a VC10 to arrive 27-28 DEcember, unless it had been TBN at Cyprus,.....

Wending my way through the corpses on the floor on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, Myself and mate (Duncan Martin , Radar Fitter ), made sure that if a ship/aircraft/sub etc. needed help, we were there for them....

Air Traffic somhow got the VC10 to land safely and the SAS flight (staging and service (, sent it on its way to Honkers , I think ??

Luckily nobody needed our assistance. We did not even get a call from the Yanks on Diego Garcia, a little to the south of us.....

( well, apart from some of the UK/USA scaliey's ( married chaps ) crying about their kids and missus back home )....
So , in summary ,

My Chrismas and New Year were spent SOBER, Working, and keeping the Island afloat..................Boy, when the New Year came , WE had a great time catching up.

Seasons greetings from Howard in the Midlands.............HOW WAS YOURS, ?????
(warts and all)...............

lert

LE
Thank you for your cervix.

TheManFromWem

Old-Salt
Re cerxix :Al green's "small fruit song" ....You hit the nail on the head...
If pleasure doesnt work for you , no worry, look it up yourself, Idle chap.............Searches for F252.................or the kettle............

p.s. apparently cant attach my .mp4 file, drat........

Millennium New Years Eve, in NI. All leave cancelled due to risk of Millennium Bug dropping all communication systems across the Province. Our Network Control Centre was on full Manning with every Senior NCO, Warrant Officer and Officer in attendance.
They milled about all night, doing feck all apart from getting in the way, fu cking things up and getting pissed, whereas us lowly juniors had to sit there staring at 3 screens each waiting for a system to shut down, we also had a 4th Screen each which was for tv, which we weren’t allowed to watch on this one night. My original plan had been to do New Years in New York, but nope, I sat in NI stone cold sober, not allowed a single dram, while all the management got cnuted, for nothing. We weren’t even allowed to eat any of the food from the buffet because we had night rations “that’s for the day workers who’ve had to come in”.
The Yeoman came in at five to three and says “You can put your tv’s on now guys, nothings going to happen now. We’re all off to bed”. By 3 o’clock on New Years morning, the news doesn’t even show the various fireworks displays around the world. So our Millenium New Years was a complete waste of fucking time.
Thanks Ross, thanks for fack all, you mug!

This was the same moron who bought an 8 grand auto-tracking satellite dish and turned down the free (it’s in the contract, if we don’t install it and set it up it voids your warranty) installation and set up from the company, because “it’s ok, we have telemechs who can install it.
Those spastic lineys short circuited the dish when they monged the very basic wiring and burnt it out. 8 grand in the bin an hour after getting the kit out of the box!
The same spastic lineys who had to rip out and replace 3 miles of fiber optic cable because they’d ragged it through a drilled hole in the wall just like a bog standard armoured coax and knackered it all. The first drilled hole, right at the very start of the install. In 1999, fiber optic cable was extremely expensive.
To see 3 miles worth in a massive birds nest outside, while the Yeoman cried into his coffee, was hysterical

This was the same moron who bought an 8 grand auto-tracking satellite dish and turned down the free (it’s in the contract, if we don’t install it and set it up it voids your warranty) installation and set up from the company, because “it’s ok, we have telemechs who can install it.
Those spastic lineys short circuited the dish when they monged the very basic wiring and burnt it out. 8 grand in the bin an hour after getting the kit out of the box!
The same spastic lineys who had to rip out and replace 3 miles of fiber optic cable because they’d ragged it through a drilled hole in the wall just like a bog standard armoured coax and knackered it all. The first drilled hole, right at the very start of the install. In 1999, fiber optic cable was extremely expensive.
To see 3 miles worth in a massive birds nest outside, while the Yeoman cried into his coffee, was hysterical
Being single, and being posted about an hour away from where i lived in east london, i spent 3 Christmases on guard, watching the lads and lasses rolling back from central london totally cabbaged, hooting and holloring ,as it was Christmas, blind eyes were turned, no booze, and no TV in the guard room, we did get the occasional visit from the pads with mince pies and sandwiches, our stags were in a guard box just inside the main gate, passing civvies thought it was great fun to take the piss. ..... 10 Sigs BLC Hounslow 1973-6.

BAOR On permanent staff at snow queen every Christmas & New year...bloody wonderful! 1976-1981.

I'm sure we all have a lot of things under our belt, including overseas tours and unaccompanied ( no family ) forays overseas ( Doesnt include Wales ).....

To start it off, mine was in the Maldives in the 1970's , when most of the Lads on Gan, Hittadu et al, were pretty legless towards the end of December..............

Miine was to man (person) the Radio Comms office and to make sure all the HF, VHF and UHF tranmitters and Receivers wore still working...........

We were expecting a VC10 to arrive 27-28 DEcember, unless it had been TBN at Cyprus,.....

Wending my way through the corpses on the floor on Christmas Day and Boxing Day, Myself and mate (Duncan Martin , Radar Fitter ), made sure that if a ship/aircraft/sub etc. needed help, we were there for them....

Air Traffic somhow got the VC10 to land safely and the SAS flight (staging and service (, sent it on its way to Honkers , I think ??

Luckily nobody needed our assistance. We did not even get a call from the Yanks on Diego Garcia, a little to the south of us.....

( well, apart from some of the UK/USA scaliey's ( married chaps ) crying about their kids and missus back home )....
So , in summary ,

My Chrismas and New Year were spent SOBER, Working, and keeping the Island afloat..................Boy, when the New Year came , WE had a great time catching up.

Seasons greetings from Howard in the Midlands.............HOW WAS YOURS, ?????
(warts and all)...............

That post is so dull that light actually bends around it.

lert

LE
Millennium New Years Eve, in NI. All leave cancelled due to risk of Millennium Bug dropping all communication systems across the Province. Our Network Control Centre was on full Manning with every Senior NCO, Warrant Officer and Officer in attendance.
They milled about all night, doing feck all apart from getting in the way, fu cking things up and getting pissed, whereas us lowly juniors had to sit there staring at 3 screens each waiting for a system to shut down, we also had a 4th Screen each which was for tv, which we weren’t allowed to watch on this one night. My original plan had been to do New Years in New York, but nope, I sat in NI stone cold sober, not allowed a single dram, while all the management got cnuted, for nothing. We weren’t even allowed to eat any of the food from the buffet because we had night rations “that’s for the day workers who’ve had to come in”.
The Yeoman came in at five to three and says “You can put your tv’s on now guys, nothings going to happen now. We’re all off to bed”. By 3 o’clock on New Years morning, the news doesn’t even show the various fireworks displays around the world. So our Millenium New Years was a complete waste of ******* time.
Thanks Ross, thanks for fack all, you mug!

FB_IMG_1589143837715.jpg

Christmas and New Year (2014). I was in the Ice fortress in Kiev during the Ukrainian Revolution. The protesters had built walls and fortifications to keep the security forces out. They also had an assembly line making weapons, including staves, shields and trebuchets.

New Years Eve saw a few scuffles but the main issue was drunken Ukrainians interfering with the satellite dish whilst we were live. I tried to explain that the gear was sending out dangerous radioactive death rays that would wither their testicles but my sign language wasn't up to it. It was about -20.

Merry Christmas

maidan.jpg

katapulta.jpg

Christmas and New Year (2014). I was in the Ice fortress in Kiev during the Ukrainian Revolution. The protesters had built walls and fortifications to keep the security forces out. They also had an assembly line making weapons, including staves, shields and trebuchets.

New Years Eve saw a few scuffles but the main issue was drunken Ukrainians interfering with the satellite dish whilst we were live. I tried to explain that the gear was sending out dangerous radioactive death rays that would wither their testicles but my sign language wasn't up to it. It was about -20.

Merry Christmas

View attachment 525577

View attachment 525579

Trebuchet? If yer gonna riot then that’s the way to do it! Impressed!

Trebuchet? If yer gonna riot then that’s the way to do it! Impressed!
I only saw one actually working but it lobbed a fairly big missile. I think it was supposed to be an incendiary but didn't seem to burn too well.

This is one of my favourite images (not mine) from the conflict. The orthodox priest, a former soldier, is instructing a young man in the techniques of Molotov Cocktail preparation.

Protesters-government-forces-Molotov-cocktail-Kiev-Maidan-August-7-2014.jpg

I only saw one actually working but it lobbed a fairly big missile. I think it was supposed to be an incendiary but didn't seem to burn too well.

This is one of my favourite images (not mine) from the conflict. The orthodox priest, a former soldier, is instructing a young man in the techniques of Molotov Cocktail preparation.

View attachment 534411

...the priests, they stood on both sides, the priests they stood behind, another fight in Jesus name, the blind against the blind...

load_fin

War Hero
...the priests, they stood on both sides, the priests they stood behind, another fight in Jesus name, the blind against the blind...
...he could not face the dole
So he took his country's shilling and
enlisted on the roll.

But there was no fear of fighting
The empire long was lost...

Latest Threads