Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How was this fair? Out of pocket for not being furloughed..

Yokel

LE
I recently spoke to my cousin. During the pandemic, most of the workforce was furloughed and supported by a caring Government. However, because of her role she was classed as a key worker and had to carry on working, however her hours were reduced significantly.

How can it be fair that she is out of pocket for being a key worker? Has her employer acted legally?

Teeblerone

War Hero
Certainly sounds like a sh1t sandwich.
I've no specific insight, but there might be something in here:
Hope she has better luck soon.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
So she still has a job?. She has been working and is complaining about her hours being reduced?. If she is working less than 18 hours a week she should also apply for universal credit.
This has been stated many times over the past 8 months.

We live in a capitalist society ( thankfully). She has enjoyed the privileges of a capitalist society. Fairness dosent come into it. If she dosnt like it tell her to change jobs.

Moaning about fairness equates to the same as the pepole who moan about Amazon not paying corporation tax in the UK. Forgetting they employ thousands of workers who they pay N.I contributions for. Those workers also pay N.I and income tax. If it wasn't for Amazon etc. Then thousands more pepole would be unemployed.

I own and run a LTD company. No furlough for me. No income support ( not that I was looking for it). If you want a stable income go work for UK Government in some capacity. If not then spin the wheel and hope that it comes up Rose's. If not wipe your mouth and spin again.

Sorry for the bit of a rant. Its been one of those days.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.

I've been quite lucky, everything has been situation normal for me. Full pay with the occasional standby day during which I got paid and saved a days fuel.

I work for Border Force, my SO disappeared on the very first morning of lock down. Literally seconds after the email authorising self isolation came out.
We had around a quarter of the workforce go off onto self isolation, which left the rest of us to police three sea ports, numerous inland ports and two airports. Extra shifts and longer hours, all on our standard rate of pay with our standard Annual Hours Worked supplement (which we get anyway for working shifts and public holidays).
It took the hierarchy 7 weeks to come up with the working from home routine, so for 7 weeks, all those self isolating were on full pay while they did zero work, while we got fragged with all the extra stuff to cover.
What did we get out of it? Our Acting Deputy Director, broke isolation rules and travelled down from Newcastle (which at the time had the highest infection rate in the country), just to issue us with a bollocking in person because we missed a drugs target, which no one told us about anyway. Put all of us at risk.
She couldn’t even be bothered to wear a fxxking face mask. You want to know why Border Force morale is so low? Just ask her

Last edited:

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I'm self employed, on fairly low pay. (Builders Labourer) I was off work for 4 months, with no pay, no furlough, not eligible for HMRC payment, not eligible for Universal Credit. I only got by, by selling my motorcycle.

Sorry. Zero sympathy here.

I'm self employed, on fairly low pay. (Builders Labourer) I was off work for 4 months, with no pay, no furlough, not eligible for HMRC payment, not eligible for Universal Credit. I only got by, by selling my motorcycle.

We all make choices

Why weren’t you entitled to anything?

Daz

LE

Daz

LE
I recently spoke to my cousin. During the pandemic, most of the workforce was furloughed and supported by a caring Government. However, because of her role she was classed as a key worker and had to carry on working, however her hours were reduced significantly.

How can it be fair that she is out of pocket for being a key worker? Has her employer acted legally?
The employer gets to chose who is going to be furloughed, there's no right to request it - as to cutting her hours down, that would depend on her contract and if she agreed to the reduction

I work for Border Force, my SO disappeared on the very first morning of lock down. Literally seconds after the email authorising self isolation came out.
We had around a quarter of the workforce go off onto self isolation, which left the rest of us to police three sea ports, numerous inland ports and two airports. Extra shifts and longer hours, all on our standard rate of pay with our standard Annual Hours Worked supplement (which we get anyway for working shifts and public holidays).
It took the hierarchy 7 weeks to come up with the working from home routine, so for 7 weeks, all those self isolating were on full pay while they did zero work, while we got fragged with all the extra stuff to cover.
What did we get out of it? Our Acting Deputy Director, broke isolation rules and travelled down from Newcastle (which at the time had the highest infection rate in the country), just to issue us with a bollocking in person because we missed a drugs target, which no one told us about anyway. Put all of us at risk.
She couldn’t even be bothered to wear a fxxking face mask. You want to know why Border Force morale is so low? Just ask Irene

It's a good job the press doesn't trawl Arrse for stories, or your Acting Deputy Director might find her name in lights in the press for breaking the rules...

Key worker=employed by guvmit. Directly, or as local guvmit.
Mrs R is local guvmit and has worked from home for nine months. And she has worked.
Friends of ours that work for private companies tossed it off for what was a nice, hot spring. No work, but no commuting costs. They bloody loved it.
Mrs R worked from home. Sunday night, Saturday morning.
All to buy us stuff.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Public sector society, shurely?

Nope Captialist last time I checked ( not that the Labour Party, the BBC and other seem to have noticed). The loonies haven't taken over the asylum yet. Id also like to thank Magic Grandpa for making the Labour Party unelectable for the foreseeable future.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.

MR_R_SOLE

Old-Salt
Mrs R is local guvmit and has worked from home for nine months. And she has worked.
Friends of ours that work for private companies tossed it off for what was a nice, hot spring. No work, but no commuting costs. They bloody loved it.
All to buy us stuff.

Some key workers are not employed by the Government. Think along the lines of critical infrastructure.

Kindest regards
MR_R_SOLE.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
All to buy us stuff.

The majority of key workers are not employed by Government. Agriculture, fishing, the food industry, carers, veterinary services (the sector by cousin works in), utilities, communications, transport, key defence or medical related manufacturing, essential retail....

Latest Threads