How to win friends and influence people

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jul 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Oh dear, the stress claims will be alarming, a pay cut is better than no job.........I recon you could cut council staff by 60% and run a good service!

3. Mr_Fingerz

Have you ever worked for a local authority? Do you know what they actually are responsible for?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Off the back of a 5.4% cut that equates to an annual salary of:
    £37,037 using £2,000
    £46,296 using £2,500
    £55,555 using £3,000

Even the lowest figure is well above the national average wage and I understand that Shropshire isn't the richest of counties. No wonder the public section is haemorrhaging cash.

Bet the Union will be popular with the 60% of the council staff who aren't members!

Q

5. Would love it if at least 50% of council workers on 3 October informed the Shropshire Chief Executive that they didn't want their job as they had found a suitable position elsewhere paying a commensurate salary equal to their old one. Whilst it is understandable councils are being squeezed in their finances this bright idea could backfire in severely reducing the capabilities of an effective, smooth running machine. Unfortunately there is a necessity to cut costs by reducing staff but I fear the staff that should be cut will probably be exempt from this drastic action.

6. It doesn't matter whether it's the private sector or the public sector, it's a disgraceful way to treat staff.

7. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. This is my local council. They were offered a choice take a pay cut or lose 500 jobs ! I guess the moaners were too loud and the chief ex thought fk you if you want to play hard ball I'll call yr bluff

8. I always found I was better at losing friends and alienating people.

Maybe I should write a book?

DC

9. No it isn't. Nobody is being fired. It's a simple 5% pay cut. The unions have simply seized upon the mechanics of it to create headlines.

10. Sorry, I must have read something different to you? I'm sure I read the words dismissal somewhere. Is that the mechanics you mention? What happens if they don't accept the pay cut?

11. You can't refuse to accept a pay cut. It's a ****ing pay cut. Your only options are to take it on the chin or quit. In this case, the employer is merely saving them the hassle of writing a resignation.

They're being dismissed and immediately re-employed in the same role. Therefore, the dismissal is a technicality and you're getting your grotty little knickers in a twist over nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mr_Fingerz

Actually it's not a mere technicality. It's a gross violation of TCOS.

If the staff members haven''t breached their disciplinary codes then any dismissal is liable to go to an industrial tribunal and cost the authority shedloads. The authority will not have grounds for dismissal. A tribunal would make short shrift of any argument that the staff had dismissed themselves because they had not accepted an inferior contract.

BTW the staff can't be made redundant (you don't make individuals redundant - you make their posts redundant) as the employer has said that the individuals would be immediately reinstated, albeit on inferior TCOS, so redundancy is not an issue.

Given that the authority is party to national agreements through the Whitley Council arrangements I suspect that the leader of SCC is going to receive a good kicking at the next LGA meeting.

• Like Like x 1
  13. I assume the executive are leading by example and taking a pay cut?

14. I would be very surprised if this was done without legal advice first. It may not be the nicest way to do things but they might not have any real alternative. In the private sector, I understand that many companies have asked staff to take a pay cut to avoid having to lose people, and it has been agreed. In this case they did not agree, surprise surprise.

Pubic sector employees appear to be less understanding, more selfish, or just don't care about anyone else, especially the taxpayer.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wow, what colours the sky in your ****ing world? I wish you were in HR in our place we could make a fortune suing your every move! :)