How to wile away three years?

Hi,

I've been applying to join the the Int Corps but, due to a motorcycle accident last year, I've been deferred until December 2012. Joining the army is all I've ever wanted and I don't know what I'm going to do now.

I did 13 months as a journalist and hated it, and I've done a few months as a painter and decorator, but other than that I've no real work experience.

Ideally I'd like something that allows me to be involved with the military - maybe a little number as a journo for one of the charities or something like that. Otherwise, though, I'm wondering if there are any jobs, courses that you could reccomend.

They don't have to have a tangible link to the Army, but something that's going to hold some relevance so I can convince myself I'm doing it as part of the process as opposed to just for the sake of it.

Quite a broad question but hopefully you get the jist - any ideas?

Cheers,

fcuk off the military totally and get yourself a job either offshore or offshore ............ just as much time away, less people shooting at you and more money :D

marco_poloroid said:
You could start by learning how to spell 'while'.....!
Actually, it is wile. As in 'trick'; how to 'get rid' of three years. These days I think both spellings are accepted*, but even so... why bother picking up on someone's spelling?

bootneck01 said:
What about the TA, just to get the feel of things ???
I can't join the TA as the medical requirements are the same, and I'm down on computer as being 'unfit for service'.

exdropshort said:
fcuk off the military totally and get yourself a job either offshore or offshore ............ just as much time away, less people shooting at you and more money :D
There are other aspects of which attract me but I want to join primarily to serve my country. I know it's a cliche, but the friends, the excitement and the opportunities all come as welcome by-products. I don't think I'm really suited for offshore work.

*Though 'while' can only be used in this phrase and not as a synonym for 'trick' in general.

Minimum6Characters said:
marco_poloroid said:
You could start by learning how to spell 'while'.....!
Actually, it is wile. As in 'trick'; how to 'get rid' of three years. These days I think both spellings are accepted*
Not quite, but almost. The top-two-ranked results on Google for "wile away the time" say different.

There's a neat explanation here...

Minimum6Characters said:
..., but even so... why bother picking up on someone's spelling?
Think of it as an early introduction to having to defend your reasoning... :)

You wouldn't want to give an impression of absolute certainty in a G2 briefing when it didn't exist, would you?

PS Don't worry - I may be pedantic, but I'm not Int Corps... it's just my incipient CDO (OCD, but in alphabetical order as it should be)

Minimum6Characters said:
Hi,

Ideally I'd like something that allows me to be involved with the military
Cheers,
NAAFI Manager? :twisted:

Seriously though why not volunteer for one of the service charities and donate a few hours a month for starters.

what about the spelling of "reccomend" ???? as an ex journo thought tou would have known better.

3 years is a long time to wait, is that because of the trade you want to do????

A_Knocker_Till_The_End said:
what about the spelling of "reccomend" ???? as an ex journo thought tou would have known better.

3 years is a long time to wait, is that because of the trade you want to do????
Do you know, so would have I. It's incredible (and embarrassing - bet that's wrong too) how quickly I've started spelling like a three-year-old... I guess it's true, if you don't use it you lose it.

The total deferrall time is four years. Last year I had a bike accident and my lung collapsed, and a couple of months later I got an infection and was prescribed an inhaler. Although it was linked to my lung still being weak, an inhaler is an inhaler is an inhaler... so I now have to through the four year incubation period.

December 2012 is 3 years 8 months, but for the sake of my own sanity I'm rounding it down not up.

Go on then, how many spilking mistakes in that wun?

Thanks for the other suggestions...

Education - no Uni would take me as I've only got (the Scottish equivalent of) GCSEs. I'm not sure I'd want to do that (or college) full-time anyway - I hated school because I didn't really want to be there and this would be the same. I have applied to do a law course on the Open University which should start next February.

Volunteering - that's something I'm definitely interested in. I've had a look at a couple of sites but they need people down south. However, that's not to say there aren't things I can do on the high street with a collecting tin and a couple of stickers, so I do plan to get in touch.

BFBS - possibly an 'in joke' I'm missing out on, but cheers... I'll have a look at that.

You could always do a college course in Public Services which seems to be the craze at the moment, it's meant for youngsters who want a career as say a Paramedic, in the police, HM armed forces etc, not sure if that interests you at all but it's worth a look into... It's worth 4 A levels as well or something, I heard. :)

[quote="Minimum6Characters"
BFBS - possibly an 'in joke' I'm missing out on, but cheers... I'll have a look at that.[/quote]

BFBS= British forces broadcasting service,

sticky said:
[quote="Minimum6Characters"
BFBS - possibly an 'in joke' I'm missing out on, but cheers... I'll have a look at that.
BFBS= British forces broadcasting service,[/quote]

Yes, of course. I meant them needing "some switched on people to help with their communications" being the in joke.

I've sent them an email though, so thanks for the suggestion.

Minimum6Characters said:
Thanks for the other suggestions...
Volunteering - that's something I'm definitely interested in. I've had a look at a couple of sites but they need people down south. However, that's not to say there aren't things I can do on the high street with a collecting tin and a couple of stickers, so I do plan to get in touch.................................
Look in your phone book or online for your local SSAFA office, they are always looking for volunteers. As a caseworker you would be doing a great deal of good for people who actually deserve it. Also think of getting involved with your local poppy appeal, contact them now as it's a year round thing behind the scenes and not just one day or one week in November.
I suppose if it appeals you could also become and Adult Instructor with your local cadets.

Just a thought but don't think in terms of "whiling away" three years. It's a long time and there are a lot of constructive things you can do in education / career / volunteering terms etc - as outlined above. This gives you plenty of time to work on your Plan B and get it well under way. What if it all goes wrong with the Army? Fail the medical again, recruiting cutbacks, get injured in training, don't enjoy it etc etc - don't just assume it will all work out fine for you in 2012 (though hopefully it will). If you don't have a REAL backup plan by then, you will be pretty exposed if things don't work out and you've lost a few years with no tangible benefit. Good luck with it all however.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Vaughany Weapons, Equipment & Rations 1
the_matelot Classified Ads 1
Civvy_Shot Weapons, Equipment & Rations 3