How to wile away three years?

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Minimum6Characters, Apr 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I've been applying to join the the Int Corps but, due to a motorcycle accident last year, I've been deferred until December 2012. Joining the army is all I've ever wanted and I don't know what I'm going to do now.

I did 13 months as a journalist and hated it, and I've done a few months as a painter and decorator, but other than that I've no real work experience.

Ideally I'd like something that allows me to be involved with the military - maybe a little number as a journo for one of the charities or something like that. Otherwise, though, I'm wondering if there are any jobs, courses that you could reccomend.

They don't have to have a tangible link to the Army, but something that's going to hold some relevance so I can convince myself I'm doing it as part of the process as opposed to just for the sake of it.

Quite a broad question but hopefully you get the jist - any ideas?

Cheers,

2. What about the TA, just to get the feel of things ???

3. You could start by learning how to spell 'while'.....!

4. fcuk off the military totally and get yourself a job either offshore or offshore ............ just as much time away, less people shooting at you and more money :D

5. Actually, it is wile. As in 'trick'; how to 'get rid' of three years. These days I think both spellings are accepted*, but even so... why bother picking up on someone's spelling?

I can't join the TA as the medical requirements are the same, and I'm down on computer as being 'unfit for service'.

There are other aspects of which attract me but I want to join primarily to serve my country. I know it's a cliche, but the friends, the excitement and the opportunities all come as welcome by-products. I don't think I'm really suited for offshore work.

*Though 'while' can only be used in this phrase and not as a synonym for 'trick' in general.

6. Not quite, but almost. The top-two-ranked results on Google for "wile away the time" say different.

There's a neat explanation here...

Think of it as an early introduction to having to defend your reasoning... :)

You wouldn't want to give an impression of absolute certainty in a G2 briefing when it didn't exist, would you?

PS Don't worry - I may be pedantic, but I'm not Int Corps... it's just my incipient CDO (OCD, but in alphabetical order as it should be)

7. NAAFI Manager? :twisted:

Seriously though why not volunteer for one of the service charities and donate a few hours a month for starters.

8. Try BFBS, I hear they need some switched on people to help with their communications.

9. get an education!

10. what about the spelling of "reccomend" ???? as an ex journo thought tou would have known better.

3 years is a long time to wait, is that because of the trade you want to do????

11. Why don't you just fake your death in a canoe accident, fcuk off to Marituis (sp?)or some nice sunny beach with your life insurance winnings then come back in 3 years saying you're Jesus, I'm pretty sure that'll work :)

12. Do you know, so would have I. It's incredible (and embarrassing - bet that's wrong too) how quickly I've started spelling like a three-year-old... I guess it's true, if you don't use it you lose it.

The total deferrall time is four years. Last year I had a bike accident and my lung collapsed, and a couple of months later I got an infection and was prescribed an inhaler. Although it was linked to my lung still being weak, an inhaler is an inhaler is an inhaler... so I now have to through the four year incubation period.

December 2012 is 3 years 8 months, but for the sake of my own sanity I'm rounding it down not up.

Go on then, how many spilking mistakes in that wun?

13. Thanks for the other suggestions...

Education - no Uni would take me as I've only got (the Scottish equivalent of) GCSEs. I'm not sure I'd want to do that (or college) full-time anyway - I hated school because I didn't really want to be there and this would be the same. I have applied to do a law course on the Open University which should start next February.

Volunteering - that's something I'm definitely interested in. I've had a look at a couple of sites but they need people down south. However, that's not to say there aren't things I can do on the high street with a collecting tin and a couple of stickers, so I do plan to get in touch.

BFBS - possibly an 'in joke' I'm missing out on, but cheers... I'll have a look at that.

14. You could always do a college course in Public Services which seems to be the craze at the moment, it's meant for youngsters who want a career as say a Paramedic, in the police, HM armed forces etc, not sure if that interests you at all but it's worth a look into... It's worth 4 A levels as well or something, I heard. :)

15. [quote="Minimum6Characters"
    BFBS - possibly an 'in joke' I'm missing out on, but cheers... I'll have a look at that.[/quote]

BFBS= British forces broadcasting service,