How to Waive the 5 Year Residency for Becoming an Officer

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Fanker7, Oct 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. speak to your AFCO.
    Depends on where you've been. Can be waived after 2 years in some circumstances (was on mine)
  2. Join as soldier, apply for commission once in.

Not 100% on this, but im on a pre-RMAS course now and one of the guys had to do this as hes from SA.

Hope this helps.
  3. I have a similar problem. I will have 4 years residency by the time I finish Uni (I'm Maltese), which the army has confirmed would be enough for officer selection.
    However, in the meantime, I would rather like to join my university OTC, but was told I cannot as they also have a 5 year residency rule. Would anyone in this fount of wisdom know a way to get around that?
    History would be on my side as I would be a fifth generation British Army officer.
  4. Really? For the UOTC? Is this a new thing?
  5. The South African will have had to renounce his SA citizenship to serve in a foreign army following a rule change circa 2007 [google it yourself]. I knew two blokes who were affected. On chose to drop the Saffa half of his dual nationality while the other left and went home, which to be fair he'd been planning to do anyway.
  6. They appear to have the same requirements as a normal reserve unit.

I even tried the navy, (where I meet the requirements listed online), but they seem a little confused on this matter, and wouldn't let me join.
  7. Unless things have changed since 2009.
    When my son went to university that year, he only had two years' continuous residency in the UK (6th form) having lived with us in Italy since the age of five.
    He had no problem joining the OTC.
    Of course, by the time he graduated, he had the five years.
  8. Things have changed Trackpen, and not always for the better. UOTCs have the same requirements as the reserve.

ZeGermanBoy - may be a plan to go to your local AFCO and see the newly appointed Officer SAC. They will be able to advise you better than the online recruiting as it goes to the NRC so someone can look up a flowchart and not apply common sense or logic.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Bone question I suppose: The 5 year thing, if for example, my lad wanted to join as a British citizen presently living in the US would he be subject to the 5 year rule?
  10. This thread might be useful
    Officer Residency Requirements | Army Rumour Service
    • Like Like x 1