How to turn a ( TA ) Mess against you with two words

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by HarrySmith95th, Aug 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. No reason to doubt this but at a recent TA Mess Dinner I hear the RSM said in his speech that the Mess members where "only civvies".

Twice.

Names will not be named but the lads have been on Ops in the last year, some of them have five tour medals.

2. F*cking STAB's. :WINK:

3. msr

msr LE

'semi professional'

This from a Regular CO.

4. Technically he's right though. They are 'only civvies'. Incidentally I wonder how many of them would've been in attendance if it had been a Mess CFT!

5. msr

msr LE

In fact, someone missed an opportunity to get up and walk out:

RSM: Where do you think you're going?

Leaver: Wherever I like, I'm just a civvy.

6. Loads. That way when all the Regs and NRPS failed with us STABs, we'd have got signed off for our bounties. Job jobbed for another year.

That's not funny. Exactly the sort of thing I'd have done.

7. Maybe thats why your not a member of the Mess.

8. Well sort of m8 but they have army numbers, most of them have been on operations and I for one stopped calling them stabs when ta started dying in theatre.

they are not "only civvies"

HS

9. Ok, not 'only civvies'.

Pretend soldiers?

Hobbiests?

Semi professional is correct though. They dont get paid full time do they?

Stabtiffy2b. I'm sure no one would notice if you got up and walked out.

10. Yes they would, his f ucking lug holes would of dragged all the mess silver off the table into someones lap.

11. Stabby may not be a mess member, but he is (IMHO) a 'member'

I stopped being rude about the TA when I started seeing professionalism from (most of) them. I now save my derision for indiviual rather than the TA as a whole.

If the Mess members were at an official function, surely they were there as members of the TA and not as civis?

12. Pretend dead?

13. Nah. They don't get paid full time nor do they get quarters, boarding school allowance, pensions etc etc.

Hang on!

What if Nu Labour realised that TA soldiers are much cheaper than regular soldiers? Gordon Brown might decide to cut the regular army to the quick and send loads of TA soldiers instead. That way, he saves a fortune but can still take political credit with the Americans (and The Sun) for sending troops to Iraq and Afghanistan but at half the price!

Of course, the only way that would be acceptable would be if you wanted desperately to cut the costs of the didn't give a sh1t about the regular and TA soldiers being put in harm's way.

I mean that would be really cynical wouldn't it?

Oh. Just a minute...

14. Surely "casual labour" is the correct phrase?

That's what the government labels them as so it must be right!

15. msr

msr LE

But not when we attend Mess functions.