How to turn a ( TA ) Mess against you with two words

#1
No reason to doubt this but at a recent TA Mess Dinner I hear the RSM said in his speech that the Mess members where "only civvies".

Twice.

Names will not be named but the lads have been on Ops in the last year, some of them have five tour medals.
 
#4
HarrySmith95th said:
No reason to doubt this but at a recent TA Mess Dinner I hear the RSM said in his speech that the Mess members where "only civvies".

Twice.
Technically he's right though. They are 'only civvies'. Incidentally I wonder how many of them would've been in attendance if it had been a Mess CFT!
 
#5
In fact, someone missed an opportunity to get up and walk out:

RSM: Where do you think you're going?

Leaver: Wherever I like, I'm just a civvy.
 
#6
FiveAlpha said:
Technically he's right though. They are 'only civvies'. Incidentally I wonder how many of them would've been in attendance if it had been a Mess CFT!
Loads. That way when all the Regs and NRPS failed with us STABs, we'd have got signed off for our bounties. Job jobbed for another year.

msr said:
In fact, someone missed an opportunity to get up and walk out:

RSM: Where do you think you're going?

Leaver: Wherever I like, I'm just a civvy.
That's not funny. Exactly the sort of thing I'd have done.
 
#8
FiveAlpha said:
Technically he's right though. They are 'only civvies'
Well sort of m8 but they have army numbers, most of them have been on operations and I for one stopped calling them stabs when ta started dying in theatre.

they are not "only civvies"

HS
 
#9
Ok, not 'only civvies'.

Pretend soldiers?

Hobbiests?


Semi professional is correct though. They dont get paid full time do they?

Stabtiffy2b. I'm sure no one would notice if you got up and walked out.
 
#10
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Ok, not 'only civvies'.

Pretend soldiers?

Hobbiests?


Semi professional is correct though. They dont get paid full time do they?

Stabtiffy2b. I'm sure no one would notice if you got up and walked out.
Yes they would, his f ucking lug holes would of dragged all the mess silver off the table into someones lap.
 
#11
Stabby may not be a mess member, but he is (IMHO) a 'member'

I stopped being rude about the TA when I started seeing professionalism from (most of) them. I now save my derision for indiviual rather than the TA as a whole.

If the Mess members were at an official function, surely they were there as members of the TA and not as civis?
 
#13
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Ok, not 'only civvies'.

Pretend soldiers?

Hobbiests?


Semi professional is correct though. They dont get paid full time do they?

Stabtiffy2b. I'm sure no one would notice if you got up and walked out.
Nah. They don't get paid full time nor do they get quarters, boarding school allowance, pensions etc etc.

Hang on!

What if Nu Labour realised that TA soldiers are much cheaper than regular soldiers? Gordon Brown might decide to cut the regular army to the quick and send loads of TA soldiers instead. That way, he saves a fortune but can still take political credit with the Americans (and The Sun) for sending troops to Iraq and Afghanistan but at half the price!

Of course, the only way that would be acceptable would be if you wanted desperately to cut the costs of the didn't give a sh1t about the regular and TA soldiers being put in harm's way.

I mean that would be really cynical wouldn't it?

Oh. Just a minute...
 
#17
What´s wrong with "Semi-professional"?

They are not full time soldiers, ie the Professionals, so Semi-Pro seems fair. You get paid for what you do, but you couldn´t make a living off it.

For the RSMs comment, we really need to hear the whole speech, or know the ins and outs of the state of the mess before condeming him.... or the stinking civvies he has to share his mess with :D
 
#18
"They dont get paid full time do they?"

we do when we are on operations. We are not "only civies" as the man said above we stopped when TA soldiers were being called up and were getting killed. We are doing exactly the same roles as our regular counterparts, can understand the banter, but not from an RSM or PSI/SPSI who have a chip on their shoulders and should know better.
 
#19
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Ok, not 'only civvies'.

Pretend soldiers?

Hobbiests?


Semi professional is correct though. They dont get paid full time do they?

Stabtiffy2b. I'm sure no one would notice if you got up and walked out.
My Bold...and without appearing to bite...I had this question posed to me as a 'Terrier' (his words not mine) in the mess not so long back. I had great pleasure in informing the nice chap that, yep, we do indeed get full time pay and if compulsorily mobilised, our salary has to be at least equal to our combined civvy plus TA pay. Points to note - if your a 22yr, Regular, overweight Staffy in the RLC...you have nothing to shout about.
 
#20
You_Fecking_Lizard! said:
"They dont get paid full time do they?"

we do when we are on operations. We are not "only civies" as the man said above we stopped when TA soldiers were being called up and were getting killed. We are doing exactly the same roles as our regular counterparts, can understand the banter, but not from an RSM or PSI/SPSI who have a chip on their shoulders and should know better.

But you dont make a living out of soldiering though do you?

Therefore; part-timers/semi professional.