How to train for the hills?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Gust.Avrakotos, Sep 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I am looking for some advice, if possible, on what sort of training I should be conducting for long tabs on the hills?

I have approached the PTIs back at my unit and whilst they have been fairly enthusiastic in some respects they admit they have little advice to give (not to knock him but he is RAF and fairly new in trade).

Simply put myself and a colleague are about to come off an Op tour and have been given he go ahead for a few courses, we are thinking a good 12-18 month ahead so whilst we are not looking for a day by day training, guide a few examples on how to build the sort of endurance we require would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers in advance
  2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Not trying to be funny, but why don't you give Dering Lines a call? They're surrounded by the fcuking things.
  3. Without trying to be funny either, the only training I have found that works for tabbing in hills is....tabbing in hills. Start with short distances then increase the load, then after a bit, increase the distances. This is the most enjoyable approach. I tried long distance running - half marathon's - but this exercise uses different muscle groups so was not nearly as helpful as I had hoped.

Good luck
  4. You could take an aspirin to 'thin' the blood before you start. It never seemed to do any harm when I did it, anyway.
  5. How to train for hills? By walking up hills, Trigger!
  6. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

7. In a nutshell, that! Best thing to do it either get out with a good mate who's not a fat cnut, or get some music playing.

Best way to train hills from my (non forces, gobby crow) experience, is to enjoy it, too! Take in the views but don't bimble the whole thing!
  8. I asked a PT Corps mate of mine a similar question a while back, though my question was more about getting back fitness I'd lost by being part of a unit that only does 1 tab a year.

He said a good way to build up the stamina in your legs was to do weighted squats/leg press and stuff like that. I found going out and tabbing around the area was/or at least seemed to work better.
  9. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Whereabouts are you? Any hills nearby or are you on an airfield in East Anglia?
    I'm a long distance fellrunner these days, 4 to 6 hour races. The obvious answer is to train on the hills, some do squats (eg 300 at a time) and leg presses in the gym, but I prefer the hills. So you could start by running for cardio-vascular endurance and time on your legs, then revert to tabbing with weight for more specific training..
    Look at the FRA website for ideas.
  10. The PT Corp would be last people i would ask on this subject
  11. Possibly, however I've known him for years before he went to the Corps, and as we were in the same Regiment I know what courses he's done and what experience he has on the subject so I trust his advice.
  12. Are you now.......Time to pick your brains then...have you done the Lakeland 50 as I've just entered it and wondered what the **** I've let myself in for (apart from the obvious answer of 50 miles over the Lake District!)
  13. I hope his initials aint T H
  14. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Good God, no I haven't. I said 4 to 6 hours, think of the usual classics like Duddon, Wasdale, Borrowdale. 50 miles is more like over 13 hours if it's a pukka fell race, if it's one of these trendy Inov-8 trail runs, then maybe 8 if you're very good. Which ones have you done?

Longest I've done was the Lyke Wake over the North York Moors, that's only 42 miles and not that hilly, took 5:56. Used to do the marathon for the Army and Combined Services, but I'm bored with road-running. Though I'm doing the Yorkshireman off-road marathon in the morning (and afternoon probably) on horribly low training, so it's going to be more of a bimble.

Edit. Bloody hell, just looked it up. Montane and £60! I'd say do some FRA races, £5 is the going rate, £8 if there's food involved, or look at the LDWA for training runs. Cheap as chips.
  15. This is my first one!!
    Like you I'm needing to do something other than marathons (11 so far) and I often go up the Lakes tabbing around and saw it advertised and thought 'why not'!
    Will be doing my hill work in Brecon though as it's nearer than going up and down to the Lakes but I'll be heading up there a few times for route recces.
    The winner this year did 7.45! Must have been a bloody goat or Joss Naylor on a comeback!