How to tie a Barley Twist Lanyard

ugly

LE
I'm looking for an easy to follow guide on the internet for tying whistle lanyards and all I get so far is shoite and blurry pics. Any ideas if there are any decent knot tying sites about?

ugly

LE
That apart from being disturbing also doesnt do it as a laanyard where the running ends are consumed in the twist of the knot!

ugly

LE
No its too vague although I believe it may be a form of sennet.

ugly

LE

ugly

LE
Nearly but not quite, I may use that and bodge it so it makes a double sennit with no loose running ends.

If you want a propper seamans lanyard I can post one to you.

Been having a go with advice from the link on the pigeon watch forum. Easy and quite impressive. don't forget to seal the ends over as they show you though.

Is this what you're after? Patriotic Key Ring

(missing off the beads, of course)

Don't know what a gimp has to do with it. When I've made similar things with the kids, I started it by folding one bit of string in half, forming a loose overhand knot in the centre of the other, and tightening the knot over the fold of the first bit of string.

ugly

LE
Thanks for the help folks, a mate has shown me, sadly I'm an edip kind of guy something in the programming I suppose.

Hi Ugly, (or anyone) I am looking for someone to tie me one of these each side of a 16th - 17th cent sword grip, I will make the blade and all furniture but I am stumped on doing the knots either side of the wire grip... little business prop could emerge if I have any takers.

How soon do you need it? I'm a bit tied up at moment (the puns the puns)!
I have done them in wire but not since I was a teenager.
Getting them neat is the trick. I.e. With the the wire not looking mangled.

BTW The best knot book for me anyway is the Admiralty manual of seamanship. Old copies can be found for a couple of quid.

How soon do you need it? I'm a bit tied up at moment (the puns the puns)!
I have done them in wire but not since I was a teenager.
Getting them neat is the trick. I.e. With the the wire not looking mangled.

BTW The best knot book for me anyway is the Admiralty manual of seamanship. Old copies can be found for a couple of quid.
Nice one Bonnacon ! I am in no great hurry, I have a couple of orders to do with them, but also would not mind doing some for stock items for my website... the grip always lets me down... I end up using silver ferrules made out of plate and soldered to finish the grips off.. which was sometimes done.. but turks heads are by far the typical way they did it. I concentrate on earlier swords which of course did not have them, but very much want to do rapiers and broadswords 1560 to 1640 ad..

please let me know when you think you can do and I can send you a grip to look at, let me know what you want in exchange. Do you think the wooden core should be flared up at either end to stop the knot from slipping off when you are tying it ? then it could be trimmed off once knot is complete ? up to you.

thanks very much for replying.

I will pm you with some details

Hi Ugly, (or anyone) I am looking for someone to tie me one of these each side of a 16th - 17th cent sword grip, I will make the blade and all furniture but I am stumped on doing the knots either side of the wire grip... little business prop could emerge if I have any takers.
It might be worth your while making contact with your local scout group - they seem to attract (or more likely retain) adult instructors with an interest in "knotty problems", if the leaders at my boys' group are in any way typical.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Oracle Army Pay, Claims & JPA 8
V Current Affairs, News and Analysis 0
W The Intelligence Cell 27