How to stop the police doing this?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by RobinHood, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Police set to step up hacking of home PCs

The Home Office has quietly adopted a new plan to allow police across Britain routinely to hack into people’s personal computers without a warrant.

The move, which follows a decision by the European Union’s council of ministers in Brussels, has angered civil liberties groups and opposition MPs. They described it as a sinister extension of the surveillance state which drives “a coach and horses” through privacy laws.

The hacking is known as “remote searching”. It allows police or MI5 officers who may be hundreds of miles away to examine covertly the hard drive of someone’s PC at his home, office or hotel room.

Material gathered in this way includes the content of all e-mails, web-browsing habits and instant messaging.

Under the Brussels edict, police across the EU have been given the green light to expand the implementation of a rarely used power involving warrantless intrusive surveillance of private property. The strategy will allow French, German and other EU forces to ask British officers to hack into someone’s UK computer and pass over any material gleaned. "

Read more here
  2. You can't. Haven't you ever seen how easy it is to hack in the movies?

Everyone's password is either:

1. swordfish

2. password

3. secret

Besides, they'll outsource it to injuns within 12 months.
  3. RF shielding for the room your computer is in. Boobytraps for doors and windows an optional extra.

The cost of these measures can be repaid by the saving you'll make by having no internet connection. Given sufficient time.
  4. msr

msr LE

Run an obscure Linux distribution, or do not get involved in any suspicious / illegal activity...
  5. So exactly how easy is it for the Old Bill to hack into a computer?

6. From the Times Article

If you are not one of these then what do you have to worry about?

In all seriousness I don’t see these powers being used speculatively, i.e. they are not going to randomly probe peoples computer looking for potential crimes that have been committed. The resources would be much better employed targeting individuals who have come to attention by conventional means.

This is just another avenue of investigation that as long as it is not abused and is monitored should not cause the everyday person any problems. As mentioned in the article, “You would never even know”.
  7. so expect a knock on the door whn you tell your mate you made a lot of money and have to go.

Made a bomb last week, have to shoot now.
  8. Well some of those pictures in your 'C:\Users\Bugsy\My Pictures' Folder should be deleted immediately!
  9. msr

msr LE

Not easy at all. There was a lot of noise generated by this:

but at the end of the day the police simply do not have the resources necessary to tackle computer crime, especially as it is frequently cross border and often well beyond the level of IT sophistication of your average copper.

10. msr

msr LE

Yeah right, because the police never abuse information or ever get the wrong person / house do they?
  11. With the cooperation of the ISP's not as difficult as you might think.

I wonder how many people:

disable the unused accounts that are enabled by default in windows?

Use a stateful inspection firewall?

Use IDS or IPS?

Change the default account and password settings for home routers?

Install security patches for all software installed on there PC's?

The list goes on and vulnerabilties can be exploited to deliver whatever the hacker wishes to deploy. As with all forms of security defence in depth is best, it will either p**s plod off and make him give up, or make him try harder because he thinks you've something to hide.
    Given plods budget for this sort of thing and the skill set required I wouldn't be that worried Dixon of Doc Green is actually inside your PC. They can get near enough the same info by sniffing packets your internet connection, from the warmth of an ISP's Network Control Centre :lol:
  12. I agree but as far as I am concerned ANY tool that helps stop serious crime is not a bad thing. I am sure that many secure convictions have been 'aided' by exploitation of personal comuters in the past, this just gives them the ability to do it remotely, probably a lot quicker, hence making the information all the more valuable. In todays world of High Tech Crime and Terrorist Activity speed is a key factor.

As for the ability to plant evidence (not you who said it but was mentioned on the link you posted), is this a real possibility? The action has to be authorised in the first place and will no doubt me monitored. The days of the Mids Serious Crime Squad are well behind us (hopefully).

Also if similar procedures are used as those employed to exploit current hard drives (of which I am no expert, but am aware) then an exact copy of the drive would be made and sealed, as a Mirror Image, before any snooping around.

Edited to add - After doing some research to confirm my suspicions the remote hacking of computers is still covered under RIPA except for provisions whereby police do not have to inform the surveillance commision when targeting business premises. To me that says that if they want to look at your home computer they still need to fully comply with RIPA.

Link to another article
  13. Vic

You are correct on the procedure for a seized hard disk, however gaining evidence across a network can be quite a different matter and can be a nightmare in court especially maintaining the chain of evidence and continual arguments over the definitions of an 'expert witness' etc. No doubt there would always be the continual attempt at defence using the excuse of 'Well the Police hacked Mr Y's PC without his knowledge, so what if someone else hacked Mr Y's PC first?'
  14. If the police think they have grounds to arrest for an indictable offence they can always enter your home without a warrant, arrest you and search or seize your computer under existing law; this also means that the prosecution in any subsequent trial doesn't have the headaches Baldrick mentioned.

Rather than installing some ridiculously complicated Blowfish encryption I think msr's solution of keeping on the right side of the law would be best.
  15. Shit! :x