How to shape a beret correctly

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by benjiboy, Feb 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone, first post so bear with me. Nice site by the way.

Im in the 202bty RA(V) based in Norfolk.

I have been in the TA for a while now and some guys have the beret shaped really well, but others seem to look like they have a flying saucer on their head.

I was wandering whether their is a proper way to do it and it not looking like a fluff ball or worse? Is it different from unit to unit?

2. The best thing is to make your beret soaking wet in a bucket of water or similar. Leave it there for a few hours (the water can make it shrink a little too). Take it out of the water and wringe the water out. Than put it on your head until it dried up. In the mean time pull and stroke the flap to your right ear.(i'm not sure if that's proper English,but what the heck).
    after that rol it up like a newspaper with the flap inwards and leave it to dry totally on the room heater.
    The rest will have to form by wearing it a lot.

3. Hot water then cold water. Do about 3-4 times, wring it out and then apply to the heed, shape and leave to dry. this should suffice. If not get some tippex and inscribe a capital H on the top and standby :lol:

4. LOL Works best with Chinooks! :twisted:
  5. As long as the angle of the beret is correct it will withstand all light aircraft.
    There are probably about 50,000 troops who are in that this could apply to........... dirty great wigwam beret freaks :twisted:

Edited cos errrr a spakker
  6. You'll get a better shape if you cut the lining out first.
    Then as above.
  7. Edited cos errrr a spakker[/quote]

Say what?
  8. thanks for the info.

Is there a set way to mould it into a particular shape? I knew about taking the liner out and soaking it in hot/cold water. I have also heard about people taking a razor to their beret's to get rid of the fluff. Is this right?
  9. Don't take the lining out - it makes it look tatty. Besides, the lining helps take up some of the space inside the thing, so it looks neater. Don't pull down too hard on the right hand side - the process is more one of moulding to shape.

The best possible way of shaping your beret is to wear it on some dismal heather covered upland training area for a day in the mist and drizzle and keep pressing it close to your head. Continue wearing until it dries out.
  10. spray it with water, place on head and shape, leave to dry x
  11. Take 1 issue beret.

walk to bin

lift lid

throw away

buy a decent one (victors were always good)

• Like Like x 2
  12. IMHO, beret shaping is like bulling boots, some can do it, some can't.

An alternative is find the person with the 'coolest' lid and ask them if they wouldn't mind awfully helping you out. This buddy buddy system has worked for many years and encourages teamwork. A couple of beers or a jar of coffee should help, soon you will strutting around the area with a beret as dapper as roger moores in the wild geese!

Good luck!
  13. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

When soaking the beret try not to get the edging wet or it may shrink too, resulting in humerous red line around your head from when you do wear your beret!
  14. shortfuse is right. Best thing to do is buy one. Ive always bought mine, i use the officer berets with the blue lining in it. The material on top is alot smaller and it makes a much better shape.
    Its a pain in the arse getting the cap badges in but its worth it in the end.
  15. Also worth bearing in mind that the next time you wear it in the rain it will stretch and regain its helo pad tendencys