How to Separate the Boys from the Girls

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Rocketeer, May 30, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seems its all in the job..

The Sunday Times of London reported that a study done by the London School of Economics published in the Journal of Theoretical Biology claims that the sex of your kid may depend on what you do for a living. [ and I don't mean working in a uranium mine makes for kids with ' extra 'bits ]..
    Lead researcher, Satoshi Kanawaza reports statistical findings thusly:

Those who have careers in ' caring ' such as nursing or teaching are more likely to have girls, people who go in for ' professions ' such as accountancy or engineering have a greater chance of boys.

They surveyed 3000 people from various employment areas.. In general it is a given that there are 105 boys produced for every 100 girls but if broken down by jobs engineers and other 'systemizers ' [ which is linked to ' male ' characteristics - based on how jobs are ' traditionally ' viewed ] the ratio is 140 boys for every 100 girls.. among ' empathizers' groups [ i.e. nurses, teachers, etc. ] the ratio is 135 girls for every 100 guys ...

No statistics on ratio of male/female among the military [ that would be interesting as a archetype ' male' employment ] or what they classify the whelps produced by the likes of MDN, Corp and Ctauch [ probably too small a ' sample' and therefore insignificant even counting the illegitimate messes they've left behind in far flung ports and oases ]

2. Sounds rather like the "birth month fallacy" to me.

Got a link to the figures?

3. Stoat:

just quoting ' press release' from Sunday Times put out over the wireservice..
    no doubt there is a full aricle on their pages somewhere and the London School of Economics must have a copy of the ' learned paper' available for detailed perusal..

' looking to change jobs and increase your chances are you? '

4. [ and I don't mean working in a uranium mine makes for kids with ' extra 'bits ]..

hey, my dad worked in said mine and I'm alright...............look at me>>>>>>>>>>>

5. point one. who cares???

point two.It is only luck, if you ask me there is no link what so ever between the gender of a child and anything else, as it is just the luck of the draw for both the male and female.

6. oh yes just remembered

Point three. If it did have a link do you think there would be any famles in Saudi?