How to screw up the Olympics

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by smallbrownprivates, Jul 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well, maybe a little OTT as a title, but what I've seen recently promises something like that for the military.

The Military will be supporting the Olympics doing all those things that can't be contracted out to Mongs R Us (sorry, G4S) - or are beyond the scope of the Plod (standard MACA stuff).

Olympics - big deal? opportunity for national pride/shame etc etc? - well in certain areas of the MOD, (namely AVANTI, DM(A) etc) the period next year from May to September when the UK nearly grinds to a halt might as well not exist.

As the flaming tampon/torch goes all over the country, MACP requests will go through the roof. Just the time to put all the AVANTI cuts in. This is just one instance.

This isn't politics, this feels more like people within the system at reasonably grown up levels being bloody minded and jobsworthy. Maybe they have do have a grievance with the cuts - but potential throwing pitfalls in front of the biggest national event for a long while doesn't seem logical?

Funding and preparation for the Olympics has been a debacle in some areas, and the military (though not asked/requested early on) were considered to be a "deus ex machina" that could keep the whole shaky structure afloat - not so sure now.

Edit to add: can the powers that be delay the cuts programmes until after the world has come to visit?

2. I've read your post twice.....and still fail to get the gist of what you're saying.

3. that better Smudge?

4. Much......thank you :)

5. Wait until you hear about the Force 200 concept. 200 TA mobilised to do something in each RF Bde area; nobody knows what, where, or when but car parking has been mentioned. I jest not.

6. Pob02

Pob02 War Hero Book Reviewer

Do they get a medal ?

7. I've heard that my regiment is deploying a company strength unit as part of our 2012 camp, although I don't know how true this is