How to "save" the NHS

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Now that Boris has been "Saved" by the NHS and in particular 2 non british workers, we can expect the continued waste and mismanagement that is the NHS.

This Government will certainly not carry out the radical reform that is required now, it's even more of a sacred cow, the Chancellor needs to raise taxes to a level to show people what they are paying for, its not free you know.

Archie
Now is a good time to start publicising other ways to save the NHS. Like taking personal responsibility for our health, using pharmacies for minor ailments, turning up for booked appointments, learning that sunburn is neither an accident nor an emergency.

I could go on, but you get the point.

offog

LE
Boris and his Cabinet aspired to hold the ground (seats) gained at labours expense, the dismantling of the Red Wall, by pushing the Northern Power House and the North to the top of the agenda, there will not be the money for that, I would think HS2 must be in doubt now.

The next 4 years will be an interesting time in politics

Archie
HS2 went the moment the Chancellor open his mouth to fund the works and business along with lots of other projects in the pipeline. Prior to this BJ had already started on a policy of keeping those gains with money going up north.

As to the NHS at the end of this CV19 outbreak it will be the perfect time to attack the money wasting as they can point to areas that didn't work very well and need to have those resources redirected to those that work very well.

As to the NHS at the end of this CV19 outbreak it will be the perfect time to attack the money wasting as they can point to areas that didn't work very well and need to have those resources redirected to those that work very well.
Could we start with cosmetic surgery, gastric bands and such like?

Last edited:
It’s definitely not free. I like many others have been paying for it out of my taxes all my working life. In fact, I’m semi retired and I’m still paying taxes.

I’m also an occasional user of the NHS and I see an organisation offering complex health services on a basis pretty much unparalleled anywhere else in the world.

It’s a lifesaver and it doesn’t need amateurs messing it up!
Actually the likelihood of you making a net contribution to you lifetime health, pension and social security costs are small. Like most of us, you will almost certainly be a net taker. There’s nothing critical about that; it’s reality.

Which is why there needs to be serious debate about how health is delivered. The NHS doesn’t deliver anything that is unparalleled; British health outcomes lag behind many peer nations with similar healthcare expenditure as a percentage of GDP.

Which is why there needs to be serious debate about how health is delivered.

Agreed

The NHS doesn’t deliver anything that is unparalleled;

Can you name another Country that has exact same setup as the NHS ?

British health outcomes lag behind many peer nations with similar healthcare expenditure as a percentage of GDP.

Can you name a single Country that the UK lags, where that Country does not have compulsory other Medical Insurance Schemes, either individual or occupational ?

I take it Mr Hedley has cancelled the bouncy castle
Could we start with cosmetic surgery, gastric bands and such like?
Elective cosmetic surgery fine but I would be wary of cutting gastric band surgery on the grounds of 'self inflicted injury, piss off fatty'. I suspect if you look at the lifetime costs associated with an obese patient then a gastric band fitted early might well save money in the long-term.

Elective cosmetic surgery fine but I would be wary of cutting gastric band surgery on the grounds of 'self inflicted injury, piss off fatty'. I suspect if you look at the lifetime costs associated with an obese patient then a gastric band fitted early might well save money in the long-term.

We are looking at the problem from the wrong end.

A teenager who used to weigh 18 stone (115kg) and wear a dress size 26 has become the UK's youngest patient to be fitted with a gastric band.

Katie Hill, 14, travelled to a private clinic in Belgium for the operation with the support of her mother, Juliet, who has also had the procedure.

How the F*** does a 14 year old get to 18 stone ?

Intervention should have happened when she was about 8 and only 8 stone.

Increase the sugar content of their staple foods by 200%: sees them off quicker and you get a power return when they're in the furnace :)

Agreed. There is an issue that while not feeding a child is neglect and therefore abuse, letting them become ******* spherical is not considered abuse (legally speaking).

However, that doesn't do anything about the numbers of morbidly obese people that already exist.

It's like smoking, also a self-inflicted injury. The NHS funds nicotine gum / patches / other interventions because that's cheaper than dealing with the emphysema / lung cancer later on. In an ideal world people wouldn't smoke at all but a cheap intervention early is better than waiting for them to develop expensive life-threatening conditions.

Edit - that kid is 14 and the gastric band procedure probably cost around £8000 (figures from 2014 were about 5 grand per patient). If she lives to 60 then the cost of the op would be roughly £120 per year. That's got to have cost less than the operating table she would have needed in later life, never mind all the medication, healthcare workers etc.

Last edited:

Any funds saved should be ploughed back in to counselling services. Eating a few pounds of sugar and chemicals weekly does not improve a negative self image / opinion that a person has of themselves.
ETA Long term counselling would save the service millions in reduced obesity cases, dealing with attempted suicides, dealing with alcoholics and drug addicts.

Last edited:
Elective cosmetic surgery fine but I would be wary of cutting gastric band surgery on the grounds of 'self inflicted injury, piss off fatty'.

Hey, you can't say that!!

It's "Piss off bariatric".

And therein lies the problem, when a condition almost certainly caused by over eating is medicalised. :-(

Any funds saved should be ploughed back in to counselling services. Eating a few pounds of sugar and chemicals weekly does not improve a negative self image / opinion that a person has of themselves.
ETA Long term counselling would save the service millions in reduced obesity cases, dealing with attempted suicides, dealing with alcoholics and drug addicts.

There is a very small % of obesity cases that are caused by medical reasons. These unfortunate individuals should receive the best help & counselling that is available.

The large % of lardarrse's, that stuff pounds & pounds of sugar and chemicals into there faces on a weekly basis do not deserve a penny spent on them.

If they can afford to stuff pounds & pounds of sugar and chemicals down their throats, they can afford to pay for their own treatment.

Agreed. There is an issue that while not feeding a child is neglect and therefore abuse, letting them become ******* spherical is not considered abuse (legally speaking).

Agreed - Probably because we do not have / cannot afford the resources to deal with it.

However, that doesn't do anything about the numbers of morbidly obese people that already exist.

Perhaps if it was jumped on at a very early age, we wouldn't have large numbers morbidly obese existing.

You'd still end up having to try to manage it throughout their lifetime. Gastric band won't stop them, might just slow them down slightly.

That is child neglect/abuse, end of story. The so-called mother should be ashamed of herself, but I expect she is the type that blames everyone but herself and expects the system (taxpayer) to pay for it all.

There is a very small % of obesity cases that are caused by medical reasons. These unfortunate individuals should receive the best help & counselling that is available.

The large % of lardarrse's, that stuff pounds & pounds of sugar and chemicals into there faces on a weekly basis do not deserve a penny spent on them.

If they can afford to stuff pounds & pounds of sugar and chemicals down their throats, they can afford to pay for their own treatment.

Imagine if the obese types had a higher opinion of themselves and saw the value in being physically healthy ? That money wasted on junk would go to gym fees and sports clothing. Healthy minds and bodies are assets to society

Tool

LE
That is child neglect/abuse, end of story. The so-called mother should be ashamed of herself, but I expect she is the type that blames everyone but herself and expects the system (taxpayer) to pay for it all.
If it's good enough for her, it's good enough for her daughter...
I'm presuming that we (UK) taxpayers are responsible for the Belgian medical costs?

Imagine if the obese types had a higher opinion of themselves and saw the value in being physically healthy ?

There are also plenty of those kicking about

Dianne Abbot + a whole raft of past and present UK Politicians

Camila Batmanghelidjh

And on the topic of this very thread - Boris Johnson was pretty fat ( although not obese ) before he teamed up with his current girlfriend.

So that argument doesn't really stack up.

Latest Threads