How to raise a private militia(Tatham-Warter style)?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
All you really need is a cause, and a banner to rally-behind.

and the support vehicles
1618841104907.png

1618841168736.png

1618841219801.png

A certain Baron Castleshort will be able to answer all your questions.

For a small consideration he'll do it in a Major Dennis Bloodnok voice.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I heard that during the Mau Mau uprising, Major Digby Tatham-Warter, then living in Kenya, raised his own militia(at his own expense) and led them to battle against the Mau Mau. Since most of you folks here served in the military, and have an understanding of the gears of the armed forces, I'd like to know how you can establish an effective militia. Equipment does not really matter in the context given here, I'm looking for how to establish things like discipline, build up and keep morale, and build efficiency. Thanks in advance.
Am I the only one to wonder how many little red lights have started to flash in Gloucestershire?

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Am I the only one to wonder how many little red lights have started to flash in Gloucestershire?
I was wondering who on earth comes on a military forum and asks how to form a militia, but thought I'd just roll with it. Lockdown has been boring.

VLTR

Swinger
I understand your concerns sir, but I can reassure you that I am NOT from/in England, and certainly NOT Gloucestershire. I was just trying to understand how someone like Digby Tatham-Warter can form a private militia with such ease.

. I was just trying to understand how someone like Digby Tatham-Warter can form a private militia with such ease.
Probably because local black fellers (Mau Mau) were killing white settlers and their families. Until reinforcements of British Infantry battalions from UK local KAR and police were stretched. The same thing happened in Malaya in the fifties and Rhodesia in the seventies.

syrup

LE
I understand your concerns sir, but I can reassure you that I am NOT from/in England, and certainly NOT Gloucestershire. I was just trying to understand how someone like Digby Tatham-Warter can form a private militia with such ease.

I would imagine it's never been easier you wouldn't even need the contacts these guys had
A quick bit on social media and you'll get every numpty with dreams of freefalling into some shithole on your doorstep in minutes.

Didn't the Duke of Westminster fund some of the vehicles for the Yeomanry when he was their boss
I believe he suggested it but was firmly put back in his box due to it being illegal. He did, however, fund ammunition during times of financial hardship at the MOD.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Probably because local black fellers (Mau Mau) were killing white settlers and their families. Until reinforcements of British Infantry battalions from UK local KAR and police were stretched. The same thing happened in Malaya in the fifties and Rhodesia in the seventies.
they killed and mutilated lots of black farm workers and infants as well

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Far, far more than whites apparently.
back in the 80s, I worked for a chap, big fella in his 50s with a pronounced Kenyan accent, working outside one day ,he took of his shirt, and his back and arms were covered in scars
told me he was staying in a Hotel while en route to an army base, woke up feeling groggy , and found the room had been turned over, his revolver stolen and personal papers, only just just the Kenyan Army, so panicked
he missed breakfast, and got in the landrover to meet his new boss, few miles down a track he spots a small child laying in the road bleeding, stops to help, and 6 guys attacked him with pangas , he had to fight his way out of the the landy to survive, killed one with his bare hands and took his weapon and waded in to the others
the rest panicked and ran
he collapsed through loss of blood trying to drive away, luckily because he was late the barracks had rung the hotel, found out about the break in and sent an armed crew out to look for him, he was in the was in hospital for 3 months recovering
the kid was already dead, crippled by the Mau Mau to cause him to stop
turned out he should have gone to the local nick and they would have loaned him a weapon, the bad boys used to set fire to a root of a plant and blow through the keyhole with it, it knocks you out and leaves you disorientated for some time

then he told me that he visited a farm run by relatives, only noise was off animals screaming, he found every one dead, slashed to bits, women and children, nurses teachers

and all the animals were slashed through the legs, not killing them but crippling them, he used 2 boxes of ammo in his pistol to euthanize all of them
then had the job of arranging identification and burial of every one,
they had also burnt farm and school buildings and houses
he said that after that his attitude when dealing with suspected Mau Mau, was to kill them without question, and his Black troops did the same
he said they were evil, and needed to be slaughtered on the spot,

I heard that during the Mau Mau uprising, Major Digby Tatham-Warter, then living in Kenya, raised his own militia(at his own expense) and led them to battle against the Mau Mau.
Most of the outlying and isolated farmers in the White Highlands got together and were inducted into the Kenya Police Reserve. My grandfather and three of his brothers, Uncles and cousins up around GilGil, Bahati, Sabukia, Thomson's Falls, the Abadares and Nanyuki where Digby lived.

They formed groups and would go out on patrol at night and farm during the day. My father an airline pilot in Nairobi was also in the reserve and along with neighbors would assist the regular Police, the various Guard units, British Army, Kenya Regiment and KAR who tried to keep the Mau Mau under control.

I was a boy at the time and remember my mother being taught how to use a 32 Baretta, my father still had his Webley .45 from his RAF days in WWII. One night when he was away on a trip she was locking up the house in the evening she discovered the Kikuyu house servant hiding in the spare bedroom. The police were called and he was taken away. Never did find out what he had intended to do.

An unfortunate time and there was violence used by both sides, more Africans were killed by the insurgents than Europeans. It has to be remembered that there are around 42 different tribes many of whom weren’t very keen on some of the others.

Last edited:
Most of the outlying and isolated farmers in the White Highlands got together and were inducted into the Kenya Police Reserve. My grandfather and three of his brothers, Uncles and cousins up around GilGil, Bahati, Sabukia, Thomson's Falls, the Abadares and Nanyuki where Digby lived.

They formed groups and would go out on patrol at night and farm during the day. My father an airline pilot in Nairobi was also in the reserve and along with neighbors would assist the regular Police, the various Guard units, British Army, Kenya Regiment and KAR who tried to keep the Mau Mau under control.

I was a boy at the time and remember my mother being taught how to use a 32 Baretta, my father still had his Webley .45 from his RAF days in WWII. One night when he was away on a trip she was locking up the house in the evening she discovered the Kikuyu house servant hiding in the spare bedroom. The police were called and he was taken away. Never did find out what he had intended to do.
Sounds a bit like Rhodesia in the seventies with the local farmers forming Police anti-terrorist units (PATU) as part of the BSAP Reserve.

One night when he was away on a trip she was locking up the house in the evening she discovered the Kikuyu house servant hiding in the spare bedroom. The police were called and he was taken away. Never did find out what he had intended to do.
Why didn’t she shoot him ?