How to raise a private militia(Tatham-Warter style)?

VLTR

Swinger
I heard that during the Mau Mau uprising, Major Digby Tatham-Warter, then living in Kenya, raised his own militia(at his own expense) and led them to battle against the Mau Mau. Since most of you folks here served in the military, and have an understanding of the gears of the armed forces, I'd like to know how you can establish an effective militia. Equipment does not really matter in the context given here, I'm looking for how to establish things like discipline, build up and keep morale, and build efficiency. Thanks in advance.

VLTR

Swinger
P.S note for mods, should I put this in the wrong thread, feel free to move it into an effective one. Thanks.

I would have thought that reading about leadership theories would have informed you how that all works. Not something you can waffle about on a forum briefly, though a quick read on Maslows Hierarchy of Needs would give a good introduction to the subject.

Alternatively, Field Punishment Number One was used for a good few years................if used nowadays it might, in a PC, liberal, manner, be called motivational flogging. Might be worth keeping your options open.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Obviously some form of selective process is the best way to achieve what you want: getting good input quality is a large part of maintaining good overall quality. Since you don't appear to have much experience, you want something simple but efficient that demonstrates dedication, bravery and so on. You could really do much worse than a simple test of Russian roulette. Six chamber revolver, one round, I'm sure you can work out the details. Put all your potential recruits through that, and you'll weed out the unsuitable pretty quickly.

Of course, leadership by example and fairness are vital, so ensure you are always the one playing the other side of the table.

Militias have rather gone out of fashion haven't they?
file-20200605-176575-1l9oaev.jpg

The first step to me would seem to be to establish some sort of legitimacy because with our that, all you are doing is forming a body of mercenaries.

Put all your potential recruits through that, and you'll weed out the unsuitable pretty quickly.
I recall a dit from a former KGB type about his visit to one of their spetsnaz selection cadres. He was observing an event which was kind of like a solo Cambrian Patrol - long distance load carrying navigating their own way and interspersed with stands at which they had tasks to complete.

One of them was to negotiate a railway bridge which was designated as partially destroyed by following a marked route. Midway, the route veered right and over the side, indicating the candidate had to swim the rest of the way.

The KGB gadgie asked the officer leading his tour what the score was.

"If they don't jump, they're not suitable for spetsnaz. If they hesitate too long, they're not suitable for spetsnaz."

"What if they start to drown?"

Shrug. "They're not suitable for spetsnaz."

syrup

LE
I recall a dit from a former KGB type about his visit to one of their spetsnaz selection cadres. He was observing an event which was kind of like a solo Cambrian Patrol - long distance load carrying navigating their own way and interspersed with stands at which they had tasks to complete.

One of them was to negotiate a railway bridge which was designated as partially destroyed by following a marked route. Midway, the route veered right and over the side, indicating the candidate had to swim the rest of the way.

The KGB gadgie asked the officer leading his tour what the score was.

"If they don't jump, they're not suitable for spetsnaz. If they hesitate too long, they're not suitable for spetsnaz."

"What if they start to drown?"

Shrug. "They're not suitable for spetsnaz."

Similar to a few years ago when some blokes died on SAS selection

"It's Gods way of saying you've failed the course"

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The first step to me would seem to be to establish some sort of legitimacy because with our that, all you are doing is forming a body of mercenaries.
Mercenaries get paid. And there's a vague norm that they are professionals.

This would be more accurately described as forming a mob.

Easiest route would be to seek the services of a credible PSC. The vast majority of Western PSCs will avoid "private armies/militias" like the plague, however, there are some that will engage in this type of activity.

Probably best avoid these punters though:

Last edited:

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You don't find them they find you....
Does L.A. even have an underground? I thought they were pretty big on cars due to a lack of public transport. Anyway surely they would call it a metro? I'm starting to wonder if this information is entirely trustworthy.

It's an interesting thread, as I was catching some old documentaries on the start of the Anglo-Irish war over the weekend.

The idea of drilling and chaps in slouch hats is very much of its time.

Cracking good look at the intelligence war in Dublin, which was a brutal and closely run thing.

Latest Threads