How to properly form beret for royal welsh?

Gizzer

Clanker
If you look at certain regiments, *cough cough*paras and rm*cough cough*, there are certain ways the berets look, is there one for the royal welsh and if yes what is it? The paras dont have the sides pulled down too far and above each cap badge wing, they pinch it to make diagonal lines joining at the top.
Rm have theirs pulled as far down as possible and form a "dome" over the cap badge similar to the badge shape.
paras.jpg
rm.jpg

Last edited:
I formed my beret the same way as the one on my cousin's Action Man when I got a new one at 15 (cos the previous one was too small).

Still got the same beret and must have had a dozen different cap badges on it. Only one that caused a problem was the RRF, because the plume got pushed forward at a jaunty angle. Extra spike, shoved up behind the badge, formed from a milk bottle, did the trick.

Looks well ally, and 'ard. Even with an RLC badge on it. After my Uncle died, I ended up with his beret (with a proper old brass RAOC badge on it) and realised that he'd shaped his exactly the same way.

There's a lot to be said for inbreeding...

llech

LE
Mine was ******* awesome, I shaped it with the power of positive thought and death stared it into shape. The hackle was also magnificent.

Purple_Flash

ADC
The trick is to shove a small leek into the beret, held between the badge and its retaing pins. This will stiffen the forward part of the beret until wilting occurs, in which case, replace the leek.

Alternatively, shape as your corporal shows you.

Seriously though, there is no 'accepted' way. As long as it sits tidily on your head and has the badge over your left eye and the rest pulled to the right with the excess tucked under the formed flap, you will be fine. As it ages and loses fibre, it will become more malleable and conform more to your head. You just can't fake time served, so don't worry. We were all crows once upon a time.

Here you go - pics for posterity of how a well 'ard beret should look (though for the full effect, you'll doubtless need fewer grey hairs - or just more of them... ):
my beret.jpg

And my Uncle's, just to show the inbreeding (or collective consciousness, as I prefer to call it):
uncle grahams beret.jpg

And before anybody asks, no, I have no idea how he ended up with a maroon one. I only met him twice - one of 40+ uncles on my Mum's side (and that's Uncles, not "uncles" - she was a good girl and so was her Mum (her Mum, on the other hand...)) and he was a good bloke from what I remember - I got sent his beret through the post about a month after the funeral. I hope there wasn't any walting involved, but no matter if there was, he was still a good bloke.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
Here you go - pics for posterity of how a well 'ard beret should look (though for the full effect, you'll doubtless need fewer grey hairs - or just more of them... ):
View attachment 222149

And my Uncle's, just to show the inbreeding (or collective consciousness, as I prefer to call it):
View attachment 222151

And before anybody asks, no, I have no idea how he ended up with a maroon one. I only met him twice - one of 40+ uncles on my Mum's side (and that's Uncles, not "uncles" - she was a good girl and so was her Mum (her Mum, on the other hand...)) and he was a good bloke from what I remember - I got sent his beret through the post about a month after the funeral. I hope there wasn't any walting involved, but no matter if there was, he was still a good bloke.

I didn't know you were RLC.

I feel dirty now.

At least your uncle was in a decent Corps (missiles to the thunderer), any idea of trade?

I didn't know you were RLC.

I feel dirty now.

At least your uncle was in a decent Corps (missiles to the thunderer), any idea of trade?
I didn't really know him - he was a Great Uncle (possibly Great Great - they spanned several generations and we still haven't really got into Mum's side of the family tree) although only about fifteen years older than my Mum, born during WW1. He was a surgical tool maker in civvy street (talk to surgeon, take billet of stainless, start carving) and well respected in his trade, but I have no idea of his military trade. Mum knew he was in the army, but nothing more and there are precious few of his generation left to ask. Given his age, he could well have served in WW2, but again, I have no info.

I did POC with RAOC prior to going to University, but life threw a brickbat at me (not quite as big as yours, but enough) and I stayed in the TA and later ACF rather than taking up a regular career. But I still think of myself as RAOC, hence when I went to Company level in the ACF and could pick any badge I wanted, I stayed with RLC.

PS, sorry to make you feel durty - I'll send you some four-by-two and a bottle of Youngs :)

I formed my beret the same way as the one on my cousin's Action Man when I got a new one at 15 (cos the previous one was too small).
I think we had the same Action Man beret, smooth, black, moulded, stiff plastic one.
It had a profound affect on me as a child because it looked the business and subliminally influenced how my beret got to be shaped.

Last edited:

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Except nobody does.
You may well be right about the present generation of squaddies, who seem to have taken their inspiration from the French Foreign Legion, who wear their cap-badges on the other side anyway and around about the left ear.

On the other hand, if you look at the piccies of all the ex-Booties who attended the demo yesterday, you'll see that most of them still adhere to the "one inch over the left eye" rule.

MsG

Latest Threads