How to practice literacy?

Find a book about a subject you find interesting, one you want to learn more about. Doesn't matter if it's a kids book or Dostoyevsky. Doesn't matter if you take ages to read one page. Doesn't matter if you have to google words to find out their meaning. Just stick at it, books are knowledge, and knowledge is power.

Good luck

Now I am keeping wake up 5:00AM to do reading, during my work, i can use my phone but cannot focus on so i am doing listening practice. BTW i just worry that IDK what exercise i can do, if i direct do gcses exam that is very difficult to do. My mean i got lost, i just learn english but don't direct practice army literacy. You can imagine that you need germans literacy test but you don't know what exactly the test range, only one thing you can do is learning every about Germanny.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Now I am keeping wake up 5:00AM to do reading, during my work, i can use my phone but cannot focus on so i am doing listening practice. BTW i just worry that IDK what exercise i can do, if i direct do gcses exam that is very difficult to do. My mean i got lost, i just learn english but don't direct practice army literacy. You can imagine that you need germans literacy test but you don't know what exactly the test range, only one thing you can do is learning every about Germanny.

Even in the days when we had a sizeable number of troops in Germany, there was no requirement to learn German or any thing about the place.

Dwarf

LE
English teacher here.
First mistake is relying on your phone.
What aspects of literacy do you find difficult?
Can someone tell me the current form of the test?
If you prefer, you can pm me I could maybe help out.

English teacher here.
First mistake is relying on your phone.
What aspects of literacy do you find difficult?
Can someone tell me the current form of the test?
If you prefer, you can pm me I could maybe help out.
No idea what exactly army literacy, they just required people do it if who don't have A - C/9 - 4 grade GCSEs.

Actually, i want practice my reading skill, i don't know why if watch to long sentence, i'll lost my focus. Also to remember the words for me is difficult.

By the way, any writing in post for my mind, but spelling for google.

No idea what exactly army literacy, they just required people do it if who don't have A - C/9 - 4 grade GCSEs.

Actually, i want practice my reading skill, i don't know why if watch to long sentence, i'll lost my focus. Also to remember the words for me is difficult.

By the way, any writing in post from my mind, but spelling for google.

Not sure if you're in the UK, but local Education Departments (County Council) did run a lot of Adult Literacy classes. Covid might have stopped these. You might have to wait for the beginning of a course.

In some areas there are other schemes that offer help. I can't remember any details, but Education Department or Local Library might be able to tell you.

This sort of book might be helpful. It is a children's story, in English, but a good one, and (as well as being a good story) helps people to learn English, explaining what some words mean, and being written in a clear way, so you can learn and revise the basics.
The book is sold in Germany as a way of helping people to learn English.

Amazon product

Well done for finding a way.

1) You definitely need to find out what the actual test is. Can anyone here shed any light? You are against the clock for that and can improve your general literacy later.

2) Is there a possibility you might be dyslexic?

Dwarf

LE

Googled.
www.testprep.co.uk
www.practice4me.co.uk
Type in British Army Literacy Test.

Now are you British or not? I teach English to non-natives, but even if you are native I can help.

For reading put aside your mobile as it develops a short-attention span.
Pick up a book and read, if you lose track or get tired, put it down get a drink or a piece of chocolate or something and return to the book. You will find you can read for longer periods as you progress.
Buy a serious newspaper everyday and read a couple of articles. One (or more) that you like and one you don't.
If you want you can make a note of any vocabulary or expressions and look them up later.

Last edited:
Are you German?

Maybe you can write a short post in German explaining your situation and exactly what you need. There are plenty of people on this site who can read German.

Latest Threads