How to open a champagne bottle with a sword. You Tube

Discussion in 'Officers' started by BuggerAll, Jan 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I just opened You Tube and this was on the opening page;

Obviously its tongue in cheek - rather reminds me of the Sloan Rangers Handbook, but is this the way to do it?
  2. Don't know, never tried it.

But who is the gently corpulent Rupert Campbell Jones? Is he actually of the Highlanders as stated? Serving, retired or sacked?

Who is the "pretty young lady" mentioned in the video? That description does not seem to correspond with the woman depicted (I await confirmation of her status as "pretty", "young" and "lady").
  3. Fcukin sword, det-cord is much more fun!
  4. It's easy to do. It was shown on the F word. You don't actually take the cork out, but the whole top of the bottle.
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I also noticed that Rupert, a Higlander, was using a Cav sword, presumably he lacked the 'bottle' to use his own Broadsword.

Det Cord might be fun, but I doubt if there would be much bubbly left to drink - which is the object of the exercise.
  6. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

7. B0llocks. A sword would be much better.

But even if you thought a champagne glass would be the ultimately brilliant, babe-pulling thing, how "rugged" would the champagne glass have to be? Not your average tescos value job, and certainly not your quality crystal. Champagne bottles are effing thick. I suggest your "rugged glass" would have to be more akin to a horses drinking trough than a Waterford Crystal.
  8. Coming up next - how to open a dictionary with a potato peeler and look up the correct way to spell "champagne"...
  9. Does the technique work with bottles of Dortmunder Pils and a bayonet?
  10. This method is also much favoured by French aircrew at squadron p1ss ups and even formal mess functionns. Penalty for failure to properly behead the bottle is to yam sing a whole bottle of champagne!
  11. Remember seeing Kings troop officer doing it from horseback, at Earl's court...
  12. I watched the CO of the Belgian Regiment des Guides smash umpteen very expensive glasses trying to do that at a dinner night in Brussels a few years ago. One of the Belgian squadron leaders told me that the CO was the Belgian equivalent of the Duke of Westminster. The cost of replacing the expensive broken glasses would be added to the COs mess bill, and that he probably wouldn't even notice as his mess bill was usually paid by the CO's private secretary...

all right for some eh?

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh yes, I managed to open my bottle with a sabre (just like in the video) - I've still got the cork with the glass around it somewhere...

13. Don't see why it shouldn't, as long as the bottle is chilled or cold enough.

Of course you might need to practice a few times so I'd get a couple of crates in if I were you....

:D :D :D

14. Thats so cool! Now all I need is a case of vintage champagne and an antique sword!
  15. It'd be far more ally when done with a bottle of Lambrini, a chav sl*g on a park bench and the bottle opened with an erect penis.