How to make friends and influence - Guantanamo Bay style

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by kes1, Mar 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7940958.stm

US dropped all charges, there was no evidence he was involved with al-Queda...after 7 years locked away and (alledgedly) tortured I doubt he's feeling to kindly towards Britain anymore.

Apologies if this has been covered already Mods - did a search (albeit quick one) and couldn't find anything about it.

2. Then he can go back home......... He is not British FFS :x

3. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Anyone else thinking ' if that were me I'd just go back to the coutnry that gave me asylum and be quiet' or 'methinks he doth protest too much' or ' who is paying the lawyers to make the bullets for him to fire?'

Oh, that'll just be cynical old me, then.

4. Heard his interview on Radio 5 this morning. When asked why he was in Afghanistan in 2003, he said it was a trip of adventure to see what real Islam is like (of course, why bother with Mecca and Saudi).

He was asked about his involvement in the Taleban and why he admited attending training camps in Afghanistan. His lawer advised him not to answer.

But its all our fault, and his immigration review board is sitting very soon. Will the Gov have the balls to deport him as he was an illegal immegrant? I think we all know the answer to that one.

5. Little harsh considering there is no evidence of any anti-British feeling from him prior to his arrest.

And I'd like to point out that any ill feeling he may have towards the UK now is merely my own supposition...

6. He may not be British but he's in the best possible place . . . for achieving celebrity status, suing for damages, getting accommodation, benefits, tea, sympathy etc. I have no doubt that he will become a celebrity in the British Muslim community and that we will hear a lot more of him in the future. He will be a living accusation that we condone torture, imprisonment without trial etc. and I also have no doubt that his case will be linked with those Muslims currently held in British prisons on terrorism related charges.

Yawn . . . . where's Shami Chacrabati? Oh well, perhaps she'll be on the next outrage bus.

7. This story - whether he was or wasn't innocent - did make me wonder how many true guilt free inmates of Guatanamo may, on release, feel so bitter towards the US that they will go over to al-Queda.

8. Possibly a ruse to force the UK's into giving him citizenship maybe?

9. His story is that he went to Afghanistan to get away from the London drugs culture. Yeh right !!

10. That going to fly isn't it no drugs and no guns either then, did not mention the fale passport he was alegedly using when arrested.

11. I would imagine that even after his release the intelligence services will be keeping a fairly close eye on his actions for a few years to come.. just in case he decided to 'get away' again and discover his 'muslim roots' in afghanistan and pakistan 'holiday camps'... Any dissident groups with real terror aspirations would probably do well to keep away from him!

12. Just an unfortunate sequence of events really.

Oh look - Flying Saucers and Winged Pigs flying in formation :roll:

13. There was reference on Radio 4 to certain "Passport irregularities", ie. it was forged.

Adventuring to a war ravaged country like the 'stan allegedly to learn more about Islam, on forged documents?! Sounds like the product of Finsbury Mosque to me!

14. BBC today reports that an individual freed from Gitmo is now a senior Taleban commander.

BBC Linky

15. Would love to see the system grow a set and deport him before EU law makes us pay him a fortune......
    on top of NHS, welfare, housing, .....................................................