How to make a knife storage/presentation box, advice needed.

Apologies if this isn't the most appropriate forum, but it's the closest match for my question I could find,

I plan to make some storage boxes to keep various knives in, but would like the insides to look like how kitchen cutlery boxes often are, the ones with a plastic moulded insert tray with flock effect finish.

Initially I though about felt or velvet linings but then realised I wouldnt be able to shape the cloth to fit into the recesses of the cut out area the knife would sit in.

Do any of your ARRSErs make something similar already that you could share some tips or have pics of finished items?

Probably similar to making a shadow board for tools with pick n pluck/foam and then flock it. Hope this helps and keep us posted dude

Outdoory knives or kitchen knives?

I can't remember who the knife maker was but, I saw one where basically the top and bottom were each a peice of nice oak connected with a brass piano hinge and a locking catch widget.

The maker had then routed out the knife shape 50 - 50 into the pieces of wood so the knife just sat in there, no velvet, cloth or padding. Functional and clean.

I did some routing last summer and admit it is fecking difficult to get 'just so'. When I visited Germany recently a mate showed off a CNC router which he had built for himself and that was mega, if you know someone who has one of those it is a piece of absolute widdle to knock out any shape, any depth in minutes. I spent a couple of fceking days with templates to get my things made, we went through the same thing with his CNC to see how long and including the design drawings and cutting we were done in under an hour while drinking coffee.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Apologies if this isn't the most appropriate forum, but it's the closest match for my question I could find,

I plan to make some storage boxes to keep various knives in, but would like the insides to look like how kitchen cutlery boxes often are, the ones with a plastic moulded insert tray with flock effect finish.

Initially I though about felt or velvet linings but then realised I wouldnt be able to shape the cloth to fit into the recesses of the cut out area the knife would sit in.

Do any of your ARRSErs make something similar already that you could share some tips or have pics of finished items?
I have Colt pistol cases made in teak and lined with green velvet, with brass hinges and lock. It takes about 3 months to the arrival after order. I will image an example tonight in case you may be interested, if so PM me drawings for quote after inspection of my boxes..

I wonder if Sugru might work? If you had a slab of the stuff and pressed a knife into it you’d end up with a bespoke silicone rubber “mould”.

I have Colt pistol cases made in teak and lined with green velvet, with brass hinges and lock. It takes about 3 months to the arrival after order. I will image an example tonight in case you may be interested, if so PM me drawings for quote after inspection of my boxes..
I will make the boxes myself, but my problem is that I'm more used to making furniture and so haven't needed to line complex recessees with attractive coverings. Lining a drawer with velvet is a fairly simple operation even if the velvet is padded, the recess for a commando knife for example is a whole different ball game :)

@overopensights

Re reading my post I have to add a caveat :)
When I say I'll make the boxes I should have added 'eventually' :)
Over a month ago a sorted out some offcuts of black walnut to make a stand for a pair of grape shears...............and haven't done a thing with them yet!

Outdoory knives or kitchen knives?

I can't remember who the knife maker was but, I saw one where basically the top and bottom were each a peice of nice oak connected with a brass piano hinge and a locking catch widget.

The maker had then routed out the knife shape 50 - 50 into the pieces of wood so the knife just sat in there, no velvet, cloth or padding. Functional and clean.

I did some routing last summer and admit it is fecking difficult to get 'just so'. When I visited Germany recently a mate showed off a CNC router which he had built for himself and that was mega, if you know someone who has one of those it is a piece of absolute widdle to knock out any shape, any depth in minutes. I spent a couple of fceking days with templates to get my things made, we went through the same thing with his CNC to see how long and including the design drawings and cutting we were done in under an hour while drinking coffee.
Outdoor/military knives.

The CNC routers are getting cheaper and cheaper all the time, but I just don't do anywhere near enough of that kind of routing to justify buying one. Most of the routing I do is for profiling or edging so use a router table for those jobs.

To be fair how good are your wood working skills?
There are loads of really decent guides to this sort of thing on YouTube. Well worth checking them out bud.

Leather covered memory foam pillow in both halves of the box. Put knife on bottom one and use a bit of pressure to close lid. Should hold the knives securely and they'll display nicely on the pad once opened.

Some decent buffalo or kudu hide should look the business once waxed and buffed up.

I’ve made what you are striving for I believe. I used a Kydex sheet as a base material, heated it up using a heat gun, the pressed the knife into it to take its form. After it was cool and stabilized, I used a flocking gun with red flock to cover up the Kydex, then mounted it in a nice cherry box. It was pretty easy and straight forward to do.

Outdoor/military knives.

The CNC routers are getting cheaper and cheaper all the time, but I just don't do anywhere near enough of that kind of routing to justify buying one. Most of the routing I do is for profiling or edging so use a router table for those jobs.
Me too. I needed to make something which required lots of shapes and depths last year and ended up with loadsa templates and just over two days of time - not really economical but, a challenge.

Never seen the CNC router up close till I went to my mates workshop for the first time in a few years. All I can say is; I want one. He uses Coreldraw, knocks out a drawing and the subsequent file in a couple of minutes and sends it off to the router. He makes targets for the German SF snipers and they were taking him around 30 - 40 minutes each by hand, now with the CNC they are done in 2 minutes and he still charges them the same. He has a selection of cutting bits for anything from polystyrene to metals - my own thing I made manually last year was made from Kydex and HDPE sheet at .5" and .25".

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Outdoor/military knives.

For shaped holes, create male and female moulds. Heat felt under hot water, place over male mould, press female down over it voila.

You can add glue to the femake mould of that if it is going to be the fitted bed.

To be fair how good are your wood working skills?
There are loads of really decent guides to this sort of thing on YouTube. Well worth checking them out bud.
My woodworking skills are fair, not brilliant but fair :)
I did have a look on youtube, but mostly saw videos showing how to make the box itself

I’ve made what you are striving for I believe. I used a Kydex sheet as a base material, heated it up using a heat gun, the pressed the knife into it to take its form. After it was cool and stabilized, I used a flocking gun with red flock to cover up the Kydex, then mounted it in a nice cherry box. It was pretty easy and straight forward to do.
I haven't used a flocking gun, or even done any flocking apart from grass for scale model dioramas.
I've been looking on youtube and have seen a lot of vids of people just using 'two part' tubes the size of a tube of vim, or simple containers with holes in the top.
Are the simple applicators any good or does it require a proper flocking gun to achieve good results?

Have an experiment with builders expanding foam. Get something like a shoebox, a tube of foam and two strong plastic bags. Squirt not a lot of foam into each bag, seal tightly and put your well wrapped object between both bags, clap the lid on and tape down hard. When it's gone off, you will have the perfect outline of your object in between the two bags. Delicate electronics are shockproofed like this for transit, as was the crockery in my camper van. Pretty it up how you will after.

For shaped holes, create male and female moulds. Heat felt under hot water, place over male mould, press female down over it voila.

You can add glue to the femake mould of that if it is going to be the fitted bed.
Will the felt strech enough for narrow recesses such as the cross guard on a commando knife?

This is still something I'm working on in my head, The cross guard on the commando knife is likely to be by far the most awkward recess, most would be more of a general depression for pocket knives like the current or old style british army pocket knives.