How to kill 300,000 Americans - Review

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
you forgot....' and the rolling carnival that is the American Presidential Election game has just begun, all over again...'

endure

GCM
you forgot....' and the rolling carnival that is the American Presidential Election game has just begun, all over again...'

I gave you a like but Agent Orange seems to be one of the few who doesn't actually want to go to war with Iran.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
I gave you a like but Agent Orange seems to be one of the few who doesn't actually want to go to war with Iran.
I think he would prefer to just pull out of the ME, and most foreign countries in general to be frank and return to Fortress America and let the heathens kill each other off in droves.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Agent Orange will do as he's told...eventually. Who knows, maybe he's wising up in in his old age.

endure

GCM
Agent Orange will do as he's told...eventually. Who knows, maybe he's wising up in in his old age.
You've got to admit it would be quite entertaining if he told the warmongers to do one. Even better if he made them be up front and centre in the first strike.

Review: Dopesick by Beth Macy — how to kill 300,000 Americans

Does not surprise me in the slightest. I work in NYC and there is a Methadone clinic literally on the corner and the shit you see lined up there are no words for

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Does it make you angry? Or are you and every other everyday working American just fatalistic about the whole gig?

I read all this stuff and I think ' what the hot holy hell is going ON over there?'

I'm not one of those half-assed Brits who have a down on all things American ( and have not only never been there but say things like 'Why would I want to?' )

I have visited a few times(DC , Philadelphia, Bragg, Texas) and worked with your lot in Iraq and later in AFG to some extent.

The contrast between the majority of 'ordinary' Joes and Josettas and the street people is hard to measure.

We have plenty of problems on this side too...but I really get the impression this issue is a major problem for you?

So WHO is addressing it at a Federal level?

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Does it make you angry? Or are you and every other everyday working American just fatalistic about the whole gig?

I read all this stuff and I think ' what the hot holy hell is going ON over there?'

I'm not one of those half-assed Brits who have a down on all things American ( and have not only never been there but say things like 'Why would I want to?' )

I have visited a few times(DC , Philadelphia, Bragg, Texas) and worked with your lot in Iraq and later in AFG to some extent.

The contrast between the majority of 'ordinary' Joes and Josettas and the street people is hard to measure.

We have plenty of problems on this side too...but I really get the impression this issue is a major problem for you?

Wyoming Opioid Summary

Opioid abuse is here but not as bad as the rest of the nation either. Drink driving and meth are bigger problems. But we have a decent economy at the moment and rather tight knit communities.

But who has not been on any sort of opioid based painkiller?

Happily gave an Informative, because it is although I'm more concerned (far from obsessively) about what goes on locally. I doubt your Mr Average Uncle Samster gives a monkey's pink backside about UK drug issues...which seem epidemic. Rather insular view I admit.
A close friend was the 2IC of an international drugs unit, lot's of sneaking around, undercover stuff and trying to find the source's and stem the flow - twat used to borrow my Rolex to look like a monied dealer. Anyway, he used to attend international conferences on the subject and spend a fair amount of time in the US looking at the problem from the DEA perspective to see what was in store for the UK. He used to comment to me that whilst the US lags behind in many social care matters it is 10 years ahead of the UK in it's misuse of narcotics.

So give it 10 years and the same Hillbilly Heroin* problem will be in the UK's inner city's.

Note: * Except they will call it Chav Heroin, or Pikey Heroin.

I see you mention Philadelphia; there was an article published in a local publication in Philly around the time we were living in West Chester, just outside Philly, around 2012-13. It was about the fact that since the war on terror had started more people had died of drug related deaths and killings in Philly than had died in combat in the war on terror.

At a Federal level the Food and Drug Administration is responsible for allowing drugs to be sold and the DEA is responsible for the enforcement of of drug related legislation. Consider, the industry's related to health employ minimally two lobbyist's for every congressman sitting in the house in Washington, DC. Further consider, it was once said to me, "if you want to become a millionaire in two years just go and get yourself elected to Congress".......wonder why?

Moving on we have the disjointed nature of American law enforcement compared to the more joined up nature of the UK and European policing model I worked within. I, for example, live in what is called a city (what we would call a small town), around 7,000 to 8,000 'ish inhabitants, we have our own city police a magnificently sized force of some 65 officers. The city's surrounding us have similarly sized forces and to be honest all of them are more or less disinterested in crime, and from my professional observation would find it easier to catch a cold than a real criminal. The emphasis from the city mayor on most forces is for them to perform functions which show a presence to maintain law and order but also generate revenue for their respective city (small town), ie issuing tickets for vehicle offences and other small crimes which are contrary to city ordinances (what in the UK are called by laws).

Then we have the insurance driven healthcare system which is fine if you have a job and income. Which basically means that if you are in a low SEG, the group who seem to take Oxy, you are gently fucked.

Look at the root cause of why people take drugs in the first place: Lack of parental supervision. The main reason I followed a career fixing up houses rather than going into clever IT where my PhD was is that we, as a husband and wife, decided that one of us needed to be available for the kids at all times. She was earning mega-wonga so it fell to me. My lad comes home and tells me of his mates where both parents leave the house at 6.30hrs to 7.00hrs and do not get home until 18.00hrs - 19.00hrs at night. The kids finish school at 15.30hrs so they are traipsing around, messing around, and inevitably some get sucked into soft drugs - my lad tell's me this. When we are out and about in the town shopping he will see someone and say, "thats a druggy", or "he's a dealer at school". My cycnical plod attitude has rubbed off on him and he knows where they all hang out to get stoned, knows which school bogs (no security cameras allowed in the bog's) are used for dealing on which day of the week. We live in an affluent area so we have lot's of mum's who visit therapists, and the kids nick mum's happy pill's and sell them at school along with the wacky baccy. So multiply this as a problem across the US and you can see where the foundations for drug abuse are laid. Oh, and it is not just the affluent areas where it is a problem, I can go and see my ex-MARSOC mate across town where he lives in a more downmarket area and he has already pinged all the local problem idiots to make sure they stay away from his two.

Money, disorganisation disinterest.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks for that....the grass is not always cheaper GREENER on the other side it seems.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Wyoming Opioid Summary

Opioid abuse is here but not as bad as the rest of the nation either. Drink driving and meth are bigger problems. But we have a decent economy at the moment and rather tight knit communities.

Apart from general anaesthetic twice, mainlining Heperin for a month (once) and the occasional Cocodamol ?

Uh...me?

And yes, I've been very lucky.

Appreciated your dit about how easy it is to love the morphine holiday ...and how it takes an act of willpower to wean yourself off.

Reading the stories around Oxycoffin I get the impression that the US public are more accustomed to taking medicinal drugs ( Tylenol,Vicodin,Xanax) whenever it feels right than we are here in cash-strapped Britain ? maybe wrong.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
Apart from general anaesthetic twice, mainlining Heperin for a month (once) and the occasional Cocodamol ?

Uh...me?

And yes, I've been very lucky.

Appreciated your dit about how easy it is to love the morphine holiday ...and how it takes an act of willpower to wean yourself off.

Reading the stories around Oxycoffin I get the impression that the US public are more accustomed to taking medicinal drugs ( Tylenol,Vicodin,Xanax) whenever it feels right than we are here in cash-strapped Britain ? maybe wrong.
Yes we are a nation of pill poppers and addicts in form or another, and they are not hard to acquire. One of the perks from your national system is that it seems these kinds of pills are rationed based on need. As long as you have the $$ here, you can find some doc to sign off on anything.

A close friend was the 2IC of an international drugs unit, lot's of sneaking around, undercover stuff and trying to find the source's and stem the flow - twat used to borrow my Rolex to look like a monied dealer. Anyway, he used to attend international conferences on the subject and spend a fair amount of time in the US looking at the problem from the DEA perspective to see what was in store for the UK. He used to comment to me that whilst the US lags behind in many social care matters it is 10 years ahead of the UK in it's misuse of narcotics.

So give it 10 years and the same Hillbilly Heroin* problem will be in the UK's inner city's.

Note: * Except they will call it Chav Heroin, or Pikey Heroin.
IDEC - International Drug Enforcement Conference. I went to one in Rio 8 or so years ago, promoting some technology that might be of use to the Feds. The place was crawling with v senior Plod/Int/Spook types from all over the world. There were two adjacent hotels for the gig and we took over both. Brazilian Federal Police in their hundreds providing security.

Amusingly, for an ex-squaddie, the couple thousand coppers and spooks did absolutely nothing to deter the local whores, who would just sit there with skirt round their waist showing their cloppers to all who walked, cycled or drove past. Brazilian Feds just weren't interested.

So, if you want to cause a big scene in Rio without drawing attention to yourselves, have your foot soldiers dressed as whores :)

IDEC - International Drug Enforcement Conference. I went to one in Rio 8 or so years ago, promoting some technology that might be of use to the Feds. The place was crawling with v senior Plod/Int/Spook types from all over the world. There were two adjacent hotels for the gig and we took over both. Brazilian Federal Police in their hundreds providing security.

Amusingly, for an ex-squaddie, the couple thousand coppers and spooks did absolutely nothing to deter the local whores, who would just sit there with skirt round their waist showing their cloppers to all who walked, cycled or drove past. Brazilian Feds just weren't interested.

So, if you want to cause a big scene in Rio without drawing attention to yourselves, have your foot soldiers dressed as whores :)
I went to one last year and from some of the conversations I was overhearing airsoft club ID cards are good enough to get in nowadays.

As fer yer hookers; as long as they have paid their 'street tax' to the right person they won't get bothered. How do you expense account a hooker,.......asking for a friend?

I'm one of the lucky ones as well Jonesy, never been on or had to use them. Even now I don't have to pop any pills for ailments. Saying that, I know folks on both side of the Canada/US border who positively rattle when they walk due to the number of pills prescribed to them for daily use.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
I'm one of the lucky ones as well Jonesy, never been on or had to use them. Even now I don't have to pop any pills for ailments. Saying that, I know folks on both side of the Canada/US border who positively rattle when they walk due to the number of pills prescribed to them for daily use.
Well I did watch my aunt OD (not on purpose) my grandmother when she was in Hospice. I was saying my final goodbyes and she was gone in less than ten minutes... It was rather sobering watching how quickly that shit will kill you if given to much.

Well I did watch my aunt OD (not on purpose) my grandmother when she was in Hospice. I was saying my final goodbyes and she was gone in less than ten minutes... It was rather sobering watching how quickly that shit will kill you if given to much.
In the past before she retired I've heard my missus go up the one side and down the other of GP's because they prescribed a drug for patients after they've had open heart surgery without consulting her. Drugs that the patient didn't need and shouldn't have been put on.

LJONESY

On ROPS
On ROPs
In the past before she retired I've heard my missus go up the one side and down the other of GP's because they prescribed a drug for patients after they've had open heart surgery without consulting her. Drugs that the patient didn't need and shouldn't have been put on.
I would not be surprised, like many industries here it is a money making scheme. Everybody wants a slice of the pie. Hell even my wife is prone to pill pop whatever the docs prescribe her, without thinking about if she really needs it.

Latest Threads