Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to join the RAF Mountain Rescue Service?

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You will have to buy and train one of these

1597098985295.png

My late uncle was part of the Lossiemouth MRT in the 60s. He always claimed he got his third tape for finding some secret kit that had been lost from a plane that creamed in somewhere in the highlands.
Lot harder then, he'll have known my old boss, Davie W - cut his rope whilst hanging and survived the fall. Might find a mention of your uncle in John Hinde's blog

Lost a couple of Shack's and this one could have been the crash he found the bits in.

Alamo

LE
Not to sure but back a few years ago I was an avid climber. With luck I was posted to Donnington, Shropshire , Behind the wire as they used to say , so we had MOD Plod with MP 5s to look after after us and better not a lot of work to do.

As was we had not much work to do , I took time to take in as many Army courses and AT courses I could, becoming a Mountain Leader, you can take people to walk up hills, also a JSRL. Joint Service Rock Leader. , you can take people rock climbing.

One day with nothing to do , I asked Pat , the other bloke in the workshop if he fancied a climb.

OK.

Blagged a minibus , fuel and time off to do AT.

Drove to Snowdonia, Idwal slabs, Faith , Hope and Charity are well known climbs.

Not hard climbs at all.
We arrived at about 10. Met the RAF Mountain Rescue team doing training. They had all the gear.

We had a couple of the original willans harnesses , an 11 mil rope and wearing BCH.
did Hope as they were doing prep work, walked back down , started Faith and it started to rain, we got out our , remember the chip packet water proofs? Started Faith. RAF Mountain rescue? Walked away as it was raining. They had bloody gortex .
This sounds about as credible as your claim that a 9x9 fits on a LR roof.

Alamo

LE
I also thought there was a least a core of full timers. That explains all the weekends out in the hills.
Once well established you can do tours as a full timer, but it’s not a trade. A lot of people used to go into it and not come back out, a bit like AT instructors in the Army.

Last edited:
Lot harder then, he'll have known my old boss, Davie W - cut his rope whilst hanging and survived the fall. Might find a mention of your uncle in John Hinde's blog

Lost a couple of Shack's and this one could have been the crash he found the bits in.

I think it was, and he's one of the five mentioned in the Saturday 6 January entry. I read this a while ago. It's an amazing site.

I think it was, and he's one of the five mentioned in the Saturday 6 January entry. I read this a while ago. It's an amazing site.
Some legends, the kit they had was less than stellar.

This sounds about as credible as your claim that a 9x9 fits on a LR roof.
It's entirely believable, guys do the courses and think that's it. My point about preserving the dynamic integrity of the ropes is relevant if you're serious about your kit, a wet rope back then would lose about 70% and be feck all use for anything again. If you're just training you sack it.

Latest Threads