How to join the RAF Mountain Rescue Service?

Going in as a supplier and I’ve heard there is opportunities to join the MRS as a reservist at first but what would be the process to do this?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thought mountain rescue teams were all volunteer run by charities and that the big yellow taxis had gone private.

Navigate yourself over to e-goat and ask there.....or even Pprune where I'm sure they'll welcome your question.

Going in as a supplier and I’ve heard there is opportunities to join the MRS as a reservist at first but what would be the process to do this?
Pitch up and ask them if you're local. You'll go out on a few weekends and if they like you, as in your effort and ability to fit in as team member then you're in...sort of. If not local not much chance, they expect a lot of commitment, not the odd weekend.

As above, there are only three teams left now, Leeming, Lossie and Valley. You'd need to be very close to one of them. Know some whose career was basically full time MR once they got senior enough but no idea what it's like now.

mad_collie

Old-Salt
Pitch up and ask them if you're local. You'll go out on a few weekends and if they like you, as in your effort and ability to fit in as team member then you're in...sort of. If not local not much chance, they expect a lot of commitment, not the odd weekend.

As above, there are only three teams left now, Leeming, Lossie and Valley. You'd need to be very close to one of them. Know some whose career was basically full time MR once they got senior enough but no idea what it's like now.
What? They've disbanded the RAF Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue? ;-)

AP3392, Vol 2, leaflet 1552 is what you need. Accessible on MODNET.

Full time membership for regular RAF personnel; part time membership for holders of a MOD90 (irrespective of service at discretion of the Team Leader).

Chef

LE
What? They've disbanded the RAF Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue? ;-)
Wrong.

Amalgamated with Essex and Norfolk. More cost cutting and another cap badge lost:(

What's wrong with being a CFAV or other volunteering in any form such as a Special Constable or St Johns Ambulance?

Much more allyer than being associated with the RAF in any form and you'll be more respectable socially and also feel less ashamed in life.

You could try the Dutch mountain rescue, always on the look out for Volunteers.

Thought mountain rescue teams were all volunteer run by charities and that the big yellow taxis had gone private.
No, RAF still in the game, with nice new Japanese pickups.

Yellow (and grey!) taxis replaced by Coastguard white and red.

What's wrong with being a CFAV or other volunteering in any form such as a Special Constable or St Johns Ambulance?

Much more allyer than being associated with the RAF in any form and you'll be more respectable socially and also feel less ashamed in life.
Being an avowed member of the Gary Glitter fan club is more socially respectable and less shaming than being associated with the RAF.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I live in Cumbria and see the RAF MRT in town quite a bit.

Usually in the supermarket buying beer.

Not entirely sure what they’re for, we already have about 8 volunteer mountain rescue teams in the Lakes.

Someone told me their main job is to secure crash sites and gather up anything dangerous or sensitive. They leave the actual rescuing stuff to the civvy MRTs and emergency services.

Probably a good gig if you like hill walking and hanging around in the lakes.

Latest Threads