How to invade the falklands

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by gunnerfalkey, Jul 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This gives serious food for thought, although all of the compiled information appears to be drawn from the public domain it is no less chilling

Grand Logistics: How To Invade The Falkland Islands

What strikes me is the meticulous analysis shown on this website, no doubt written by someone with a Military Intelligence background?

Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place, MODs if so, please move.

2. If it was someone from an Int background, I hope they were sacked for being utterly shit a long time ago.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

It's been written by someone who plays too much Harpoon and has no military experience at any level.
  4. They just need to pitch up on a certain night of the week when most of MPA are so shiters they couldn't even tie their own shoelaces.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

You forgot to add the following:

The Andrew have no more than a rowing boat to put to sea in (on the surface); and

Royal is "a bit busy in a sandy place"; and

The Army is busy in a sandy place and has very little left up it sleeve; and

The Crabs don't have a long range bomber force any more.

/[sarcasm on]/ "Come as you are wars, We piss em" /[sarcasm off]/
  6. AKA a complete numpty.

Disregards air and sea insertion, and settles for land... to invade an island.

Witters on about arty neutralising the airfield, but forgets to mention how they got there... without being blown out of the sky.

I love this quote from 'GrandLogistics'
    "With a single infantry company to protect it from ground attack round the clock,even a small commando force would meet little resistance."

Hm, with all that is down there now, v what was there in 1982.
    Naval Party 8901 (60 Marines) plus 10 navy types and the FIDF were no more than the Marines in number, but didn't really do much during the invasion. I suppose you could throw in HMS Endurance and her naval party.

How long did it take the Argies to secure? Who had the most dead and wounded?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. They fail to mention that this time the Argentine mainland comes into play,all their military,strategic, infrastruture will be fair game.
  8. Stunningly amateur analysis there! Done to death here bit to invade and hold islands requires a complex range of capabilities and training in order to solve some very challenging tactical problems. Do some searching and you'll find that the answer to this seems to be 'use tom Clancy bad guy powers' to invade as I've never seen a credible option!
  9. jrwlynch

jrwlynch LE Book Reviewer

Makes the classic mistake of counting "ships that haven't obviously sunk at their moorings yet" and assuming they're all seaworthy, combat ready, loaded up with working weapons, and manned by crews who are trained and skilled for a proper fight. Similarly for aircraft: most of the Argentine ORBAT is broken with no trained pilots to fly them, no trained groundcrew to fix them, no spare parts for mending them, and no fuel even if they were working. Sorting that mess out is going to take more than a wave of the hand...
  10. I second this.
  11. It's complete and utter shite.

ETA: The Penguins!

It forgot to mention the suicide penguins with frikkin lasers on their heads that would take out MPA.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

ETA: The Penguins?

They fuggin live there. ETA=No Time At All.
  13. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

I third it. Plus the build-up of forces required couldn't be hidden. It took UK gov off guard last time cos they had their fingers in their ears while singing "La la la" as loudly as they could. nearly 30 years on any government that tried the same would be out of office for a decade...
  14. But, (and this may tip the balance), do the Argentinians still have the SLR in service?
  15. No; they kindly donated most of their FALs to the MoD.
    • Like Like x 9