How to invade the falklands

This gives serious food for thought, although all of the compiled information appears to be drawn from the public domain it is no less chilling

Grand Logistics: How To Invade The Falkland Islands

What strikes me is the meticulous analysis shown on this website, no doubt written by someone with a Military Intelligence background?

Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place, MODs if so, please move.

GF

D

Deleted 20555

It's been written by someone who plays too much Harpoon and has no military experience at any level.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
They just need to pitch up on a certain night of the week when most of MPA are so shiters they couldn't even tie their own shoelaces.

HF
You forgot to add the following:

The Andrew have no more than a rowing boat to put to sea in (on the surface); and

Royal is "a bit busy in a sandy place"; and

The Army is busy in a sandy place and has very little left up it sleeve; and

The Crabs don't have a long range bomber force any more.

/[sarcasm on]/ "Come as you are wars, We piss em" /[sarcasm off]/

It's been written by someone who plays too much Harpoon and has no military experience at any level.
AKA a complete numpty.

Disregards air and sea insertion, and settles for land... to invade an island.

Witters on about arty neutralising the airfield, but forgets to mention how they got there... without being blown out of the sky.

I love this quote from 'GrandLogistics'
"With a single infantry company to protect it from ground attack round the clock,even a small commando force would meet little resistance."

Hm, with all that is down there now, v what was there in 1982.
Naval Party 8901 (60 Marines) plus 10 navy types and the FIDF were no more than the Marines in number, but didn't really do much during the invasion. I suppose you could throw in HMS Endurance and her naval party.

How long did it take the Argies to secure? Who had the most dead and wounded?

They fail to mention that this time the Argentine mainland comes into play,all their military,strategic, infrastruture will be fair game.

Stunningly amateur analysis there! Done to death here bit to invade and hold islands requires a complex range of capabilities and training in order to solve some very challenging tactical problems. Do some searching and you'll find that the answer to this seems to be 'use tom Clancy bad guy powers' to invade as I've never seen a credible option!

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Makes the classic mistake of counting "ships that haven't obviously sunk at their moorings yet" and assuming they're all seaworthy, combat ready, loaded up with working weapons, and manned by crews who are trained and skilled for a proper fight. Similarly for aircraft: most of the Argentine ORBAT is broken with no trained pilots to fly them, no trained groundcrew to fix them, no spare parts for mending them, and no fuel even if they were working. Sorting that mess out is going to take more than a wave of the hand...

Makes the classic mistake of counting "ships that haven't obviously sunk at their moorings yet" and assuming they're all seaworthy, combat ready, loaded up with working weapons, and manned by crews who are trained and skilled for a proper fight. Similarly for aircraft: most of the Argentine ORBAT is broken with no trained pilots to fly them, no trained groundcrew to fix them, no spare parts for mending them, and no fuel even if they were working. Sorting that mess out is going to take more than a wave of the hand...
I second this.

This gives serious food for thought, although all of the compiled information appears to be drawn from the public domain it is no less chilling

Grand Logistics: How To Invade The Falkland Islands

What strikes me is the meticulous analysis shown on this website, no doubt written by someone with a Military Intelligence background?

Apologies if this has been posted in the wrong place, MODs if so, please move.

GF
It's complete and utter shite.

ETA: The Penguins!

It forgot to mention the suicide penguins with frikkin lasers on their heads that would take out MPA.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
ETA: The Penguins?

They fuggin live there. ETA=No Time At All.

Trans-sane

LE
Book Reviewer
I third it. Plus the build-up of forces required couldn't be hidden. It took UK gov off guard last time cos they had their fingers in their ears while singing "La la la" as loudly as they could. nearly 30 years on any government that tried the same would be out of office for a decade...

But, (and this may tip the balance), do the Argentinians still have the SLR in service?
No; they kindly donated most of their FALs to the MoD.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
not very imaginative considering what can be done and how easily.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
No; they kindly donated most of their FALs to the MoD.
<hillbilly accent>Want to buy some Argentine rifles? Hardly been fired and only dropped once!<\hillbilly accent>

(With all respect to the poor bloody infantry who had to fight damn hard, to push the Argentines to the point of mass surrender.)

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I think we should build aircraft carriers to stop this terrible thing from happening. ;-)

While the Argentine military is moribund, could it be at all possible for Brazil to take its place? Brazil likes to consider itself an "emerging power" nowadays and its military is entering a modernisation programme (just as we're cutting back on all fronts); it's conceivable that it might try to flex its muscles to establish itself as continental hegemon.