How to get rid of a cold?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Louie85, Nov 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've got a pretty basic cold (bunged up, slightly coughy and headaches)

I'm not being a pussy but usually it takes me a while to shift this sort of thing and I was wondering if anyone had any good advice.

Some say, ignore it and fight through. Others recommend R and R!?

Personally I usually take a few days easy (no running etc) and then force myself back into it?

any ideas?

2. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Take it easy for a couple of days, then eat a really hot curry. Clears everything!

3. Man up and get a good hot toddy down your neck before going to bed. You'll sweat it out in a night :D

generous measure of whisky (very)
    rounded teaspoon of honey
    good squeeze or two of lemon juice and top off with boiling water - mix and neck it down in one go!

4. So you have man flu?

Drink lemon sips like they are your lifeline, take 2 ibuprofen every 4 hours.

Have a nice hot soak in the bath every night, top up the water when it cools down a bit.

Take a hot water bottle to bed with you and put it on your chest (take it off once it cools down).

Gargle with TCP morning and night (DO NOT RINSE MOUTH AFTERWARD ELSE IT DOES NOT WORK)!!

Take the duvet downstairs curle up on the sofa with it, watch a few chick flicks (or good movies to your taste "what a woman wants" is a good one) with a couple of bars of chocolate and a good supply of hot chocolate!!

Jobs a gooden, you will feel better in about 2/3 days! x

Edited becuase someone threw a tantrum! :D

5. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Please don't even think about taking paracetomol if you are also taking lemsip. Lemsip contains paracetomol, and your liver may suffer serious damage!

6. Never hurt me and i have been doing it for years?

It works so stop complaining :D x

7. It may have worked for you but it can and does kill and it is a very slow, painful and irreversible death. DON't DO IT!

8. Olbus Oil, It's brilliant stuff, put on a paper hanky or kitchen roll, a good few drops will do then sniff every so often, it will clear your head and stop the runny nose too, bit of advice though, dont put it your pocket next to the the b*ll*cks as it numbs them. I use it every year.

9. And dont go overboard with it, just because you cant smell it doesnt mean everyone else cant!!!

10. Problem solved :D

11. Put plenty of Vicks Vapor Rub (or similar) on the soles of your feet, then put some socks on. Do this before you go to bed, you'll see a result after a day or so. It'll deffo stop any night-time annoying cough.

12. Sorry, forgot that bit, but then everyone getting a whiff isn't a bad thing. 8)

13. Best cure for a cold.

Hot Toddy

Get Half Pint Glass and fill it 2/3rds with Boiling water, 2 teaspoons of sugar, 5 cloves, 2 thin slices of lemon. Top up the last third with Whiskey and stir with a teaspoon. Drink it as hot as you can.

Repeat dosage every hour whilst ensuring you have loads of decent stuff on Sky + and can order in a mega hot Ruby Murray or get your other half to make you a dish that would bring tears to the eyes of Ghandi.

Whiskey & Curry is the only scientifically proven way to end Man Flu or Wimmin Flu :wink:

14. Theres no such thing!

15. Masturbate furiously like a rabid monkey on School visit day at the Zoo. Works for me.

Incidentally it also works for me when I don't have a cold :)