How to float the barrel of a Mosin Nagant 91/30

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Jubbles, Jun 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

does anyone know how to float the barrel of a mosin nagant? I am told that sliding a piece of cork under the barrel does the job and vastly improves accuracy

anyone got any ideas?

im getting the rifle from thames valley guns so it should be in good condition etc

2. Just hold the whole rifle above your head while you're crossing the river. :D

Easy!

MsG

3. I would spend some time shooting it before you try tinkering with anything. Mosins are designed to be fully bedded in their forends, and generally speaking they are perfectly acceptable in accuracy as they are. The PU snipers I have owned (repros built on standard rifles) have been quite capable of 1 moa even with cheapo milsurp ammo, and the infantry rifle I have here appears to be capable of the same but within the limitations of the iron sights (ie you the shooter).

4. point taken, iv got a couple hundred privy partisan, any idea what i could achieve accuracy wise at 100 with that?

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Anything less than 50mm consider providence :wink:

6. Good decision, going with TVG. I got my P14 from him a few years ago. There was an issue with the rifle as it was supplied from the importing dealer, Paul got it sorted "toot sweet". I'll not mention the source dealer as they rectified the matter quickly when Paul pointed out the mistake.
    That P14 is my most accurate 303. That rifle has crossed the Atlantic more times than the QE2. It was made by Remington in the US, obviously came to UK for it's service life. Then was returned as surplus to the US, as evidenced by the CAI import marks. It was then re-exported to UK where I've ended up with it.

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Full length bedding is all along the barrel channel with good contact. Fully floated is exactly that, not touching at any point along its barrel.

8. So Thames Valley Guns are well known for their good service are they?

They have been very helpful with me, ordering a brand new magazine for me without any complaints when the one they sent dodged up

9. Finnish M39 Nagants are worth the extra $. With a pristine barrel,one of the most accurate rifles. 91/30 can't compare.