Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To Fix 'The North'?

Nope - it's an Arctic (or Great) Skua - feckin' great big, aggressive bird that nests on the hills in the Islands.

They're twice the size of sea gulls and fly at you at chest height in order to scare you away from their nests. They also peck and scratch your head if you don't duck.

Favourite tactic of the locals (I discovered later) is to put your hat on a walking stick and hold it a metre above your head. That way the birds don't go for your face with their talons.

Surely it would be better to take a swing at the thing with the walking stick, show it who is boss.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
I think within 20 years, the entire building industry will have been transformed by automation. There will, of course, still be manual work on the legacy building stock, but quite a lot of that can be semi-automated. It’s perfectly possible today to measure up a job with laser etc, input the cuts etc into a machone

On the other hand, we’ll see jobs created feeding machines.

So design a plug that can be wired by machine. I fully expect to see new buildings wired with factory manufactured wiring looms.
That was being done in the 1950s, making pre fab wiring looms for new houses was the first job my Dad took after national service. Apparently the dullest, most repetitive job he ever did, he lasted two months whilst looking for another gig.

Teeblerone

War Hero
Disclaimer: I was born & bred in That There London. Everywhere else just seems so...small! For both good & bad.
I love the fact that it's a ramshackle collection of streets & districts (Stoke on Trent, on the other hand, is also 5 towns...but they're all sh1te. Worst accent outside Zafrica. Beer's OK).
Apart from the very first & last, no bugger bothers with a bus or tube timetable (trains moreso, a bit)
There are many, many foul pits still, though.
At the risk of being an arrse (anyone that says that is already too late), there's always something different. You might not be able to afford it, mind. I'm not central, but there (are/were) about 120 restaurants I can walk to in about 30 mins at a trot.

I liked Sheffield & Glasgow for a few weeks, Leeds OK, lived in Manchester for a bit, but it & Liverpool hyped, Chester, ... Cardiff had potential (apart from the locals, obviously), Coventry? Visiting Bradford & Blackpool was interesting. Cambridge & Oxford - daytrip only. Cambridgeshire? Urgh.
Newcastle I liked, even Sunderland & Middlesborough were interesting.
Cornwall? Not a great bunch of lads, frankly. I felt very conscious of my wallet. Lovely countryside. Similarly Yorkshire (gawd knows where..Bingley? Skipton? and some other places).
Peak District nice, Lake District full of knobs & tourists.
If I live in a city, it might as well be the nastiest shitty one about. If I had a choice, I'd either live nearer to the folks north of London or in a large shack with a tractor & chainsaw 1/2 a mile from anyone - either of which would take some serious cash.

Having said all that: mates moved to the countryside, got involved, life is good. I am more sympathetic to gardening vegetables & whittling & decent walks for dogs. Going for a swift half is still a 15 min drive and that ain't rock & roll.

How things will change is interesting - a good part of the compensation for business meetings is the location - face to face is still a good thing, every now & again. The spectacle of a feed overlooking the Thames, Seine, Rhine, Po, Bosphorous, Auckland Harbour, Manley, even Times Sq (and some place in Chicago)...terribly wasteful of course.

Teeblerone

War Hero
Disclaimer: I was born & bred in That There London. Everywhere else just seems so...small! For both good & bad.
I love the fact that it's a ramshackle collection of streets & districts (Stoke on Trent, on the other hand, is also 5 towns...but they're all sh1te. Worst accent outside Zafrica. Beer's OK).
Apart from the very first & last, no bugger bothers with a bus or tube timetable (trains moreso, a bit)
There are many, many foul pits still, though.
At the risk of being an arrse (anyone that says that is already too late), there's always something different. You might not be able to afford it, mind. I'm not central, but there (are/were) about 120 restaurants I can walk to in about 30 mins at a trot.

I liked Sheffield & Glasgow for a few weeks, Leeds OK, lived in Manchester for a bit, but it & Liverpool hyped, Chester, ... Cardiff had potential (apart from the locals, obviously), Coventry? Visiting Bradford & Blackpool was interesting. Cambridge & Oxford - daytrip only. Cambridgeshire? Urgh.
Newcastle I liked, even Sunderland & Middlesborough were interesting.
Cornwall? Not a great bunch of lads, frankly. I felt very conscious of my wallet. Lovely countryside. Similarly Yorkshire (gawd knows where..Bingley? Skipton? and some other places).
Peak District nice, Lake District full of knobs & tourists.
If I live in a city, it might as well be the nastiest shitty one about. If I had a choice, I'd either live nearer to the folks north of London or in a large shack with a tractor & chainsaw 1/2 a mile from anyone - either of which would take some serious cash.

Having said all that: mates moved to the countryside, got involved, life is good. I am more sympathetic to gardening vegetables & whittling & decent walks for dogs. Going for a swift half is still a 15 min drive and that ain't rock & roll.

How things will change is interesting - a good part of the compensation for business meetings is the location - face to face is still a good thing, every now & again. The spectacle of a feed overlooking the Thames, Seine, Rhine, Po, Bosphorous, Auckland Harbour, Manley, even Times Sq (and some place in Chicago)...terribly wasteful of course.
EDIT: apologies for showoff arsiness

Latest Threads