How To Fix 'The North'?

Sorry to focus on one part of your post.

The issue is that for over a generation now all kids have been told they need to go on to University, more education. There are a significant part of pupils that neither have the desire nor aptitude to do so, but do have the aptitude to be brickies, chippies etc. etc. but in a school (not college) environment this is not fostered or even given a look at as the schools are only interested in churning out University clones.

if you don't make the grade you are considered worthless and are basically dumped out of the system, no guidance or other options are given to you. This should be picked up earlier by schools to prepare these kids for other avenues and to be shown that 5 years studying Media as opposed to an apprenticeship where you earn money while getting a trade is just as worthwhile.
This is a massive challenge to solve; we’re in the early stages of the fourth industrial revolution.

A lot of traditional trade jobs are going to disappear as automation becomes the norm. There are already robot bricklayers in the UK and robots that decorate. Manufacturing even a very small scale is near automated. Within my lifetime, I expect to see driving jobs disappear. Retail is only go ever more more online and more automated.

Much of this provides opportunities, but it’s got the potential to leave a lot of people behind too. I think there needs to be a very serious debate about what we want from education.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
This is a massive challenge to solve; we’re in the early stages of the fourth industrial revolution.

A lot of traditional trade jobs are going to disappear as automation becomes the norm. There are already robot bricklayers in the UK and robots that decorate. Manufacturing even a very small scale is near automated. Within my lifetime, I expect to see driving jobs disappear. Retail is only go ever more more online and more automated.

Much of this provides opportunities, but it’s got the potential to leave a lot of people behind too. I think there needs to be a very serious debate about what we want from education.
Whilst I agree with everything you say, there has to be consideration for the non-academic students (you know, the thick ones) who can never master the high Tech skills to succeed in the way you are indicating. Plumbers, carpenters, builders, are all traditional ways for these people to succeed as adults (I'm not saying all bog mechanics, chippies and brick slappers are thick, just a fair proportion of them)

Whilst I agree with everything you say, there has to be consideration for the non-academic students (you know, the thick ones) who can never master the high Tech skills to succeed in the way you are indicating. Plumbers, carpenters, builders, are all traditional ways for these people to succeed as adults (I'm not saying all bog mechanics, chippies and brick slappers are thick, just a fair proportion of them)
How much of this stuff can realistically be automated?

Not so much that the actual work can't be done by a robot, but given the limitations of access and inconsistency of design, are we not significantly further from the point where it can be handed over to a robot?

Not so much that the actual work can't be done by a robot, but given the limitations of access and inconsistency of design, are we not significantly further from the point where it can be handed over to a robot?
Try wiring a plug top, fiddly, intricate, or connecting up a 2 gang socket outlet, even a domestic consumer unit, not something that a robot can do. there will always be work for skilled tradesmen!

I think within 20 years, the entire building industry will have been transformed by automation. There will, of course, still be manual work on the legacy building stock, but quite a lot of that can be semi-automated. It’s perfectly possible today to measure up a job with laser etc, input the cuts etc into a machone

On the other hand, we’ll see jobs created feeding machines.

Try wiring a plug top, fiddly, intricate, or connecting up a 2 gang socket outlet, even a domestic consumer unit, not something that a robot can do. there will always be work for skilled tradesmen!
So design a plug that can be wired by machine. I fully expect to see new buildings wired with factory manufactured wiring looms.

I think within 20 years, the entire building industry will have been transformed by automation. There will, of course, still be manual work on the legacy building stock, but quite a lot of that can be semi-automated. It’s perfectly possible today to measure up a job with laser etc, input the cuts etc into a machone

On the other hand, we’ll see jobs created feeding machines.

So design a plug that can be wired by machine. I fully expect to see new buildings wired with factory manufactured wiring looms.
Its already in house. Back in 2007, i worked on the Willis building in the City of london, all the feeds from the 3 phase CU to the under floor socket outlets, and ceiling lights were pre wired in flexible conduit, to the exact length required on the schematic drawing, pre wired, on cable drums, marked up with circuit numbers, all i had to do was roll then out, install, and connect.

You hav'nt been to Thurso then? Two 'n a half hours drive norf of Inverness.........subject to avoiding the crazyest drivers in the country.

ETA in about 12 hours time @filthycontract is gonna tell me I spelt haven't wrongly :cool:
Okay then (cracks knuckles) - I'll see your Thurso and raise you a Sullom Voe in mainland Shetland (and yes I have taken the minibus to north of Unst just to see what the end of the world looked like - it's full of feckin' Bonxies).

endure

GCM
Okay then (cracks knuckles) - I'll see your Thurso and raise you a Sullom Voe in mainland Shetland (and yes I have taken the minibus to north of Unst just to see what the end of the world looked like - it's full of feckin' Bonxies).
This Sullom Voe? I've been there. I even bought a fancy jumper from the gift shop :mrgreen:

sullum.jpg

I once laughed my head off during a joke telling session amongst Saudis all speaking quickly in various regional variations of Arabic. Along with two colleagues, one American and a Canadian, we had tears of laughter running down our face......and we didn't understand a word. So, it is with a similar sense of enjoyment I have to ask, what the feck is a Bonxie!

I once laughed my head off during a joke telling session amongst Saudis all speaking quickly in various regional variations of Arabic. Along with two colleagues, one American and a Canadian, we had tears of laughter running down our face......and we didn't understand a word. So, it is with a similar sense of enjoyment I have to ask, what the feck is a Bonxie!
Bit like a Benny

Bit like a Benny
Nope - it's an Arctic (or Great) Skua - feckin' great big, aggressive bird that nests on the hills in the Islands.

They're twice the size of sea gulls and fly at you at chest height in order to scare you away from their nests. They also peck and scratch your head if you don't duck.

Favourite tactic of the locals (I discovered later) is to put your hat on a walking stick and hold it a metre above your head. That way the birds don't go for your face with their talons.

maxresdefault.jpg

Nope - it's an Arctic (or Great) Skua - feckin' great big, aggressive bird that nests on the hills in the Islands.

They're twice the size of sea gulls and fly at you at chest height in order to scare you away from their nests. They also peck and scratch your head if you don't duck.

Favourite tactic of the locals (I discovered later) is to put your hat on a walking stick and hold it a metre above your head. That way the birds don't go for your face with their talons.

maxresdefault.jpg
I stand corrected....still in disbelief someone on this site has no idea what a Benny or a Still are.

I stand corrected....still in disbelief someone on this site has no idea what a Benny or a Still are.
At the age of 73 I am almost happy to have missed it. There again I found out recently that there are less than 2% of the current army who served in Op Banner prior to the 1994 IRA ceasefire. Each to his own. Having seen the actual definition earlier, I am kind of glad I missed it.................a bit to busy with real stuff. But thanks.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
At the age of 73 I am almost happy to have missed it. There again I found out recently that there are less than 2% of the current army who served in Op Banner prior to the 1994 IRA ceasefire. Each to his own. Having seen the actual definition earlier, I am kind of glad I missed it.................a bit to busy with real stuff. But thanks.
Did you ever go to the Falklands?