Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How To Fix 'The North'?

Move a few government departments up there and actually build and deliver the green projects there rather than awarding contracts to Danish/German companies.

A lot of that went on in the 1960's, I think Bootle still has a lot of Government offices, not sure about anywhere else. More recently there were the Regional Development agencies which did some good work. Abolished a few years ago.

Preceded by napalm and lots of it.

Absolutely agree, and to be fair the land mass south of that line is nowhere near as big as real England to the north, so it’d be reasonably economical too :)

To be a little more serious for a second, the issue raised in the OP, and the failure to recognize it by the government of the day, is possibly why the UK as a whole voted to leave the EU. Not necessarily because the EU was “bad”, but because the region in question was getting a raw deal from govt at large.

Either way, it doesn’t really matter, that train is in motion.

Teeblerone

War Hero
Think there's a suggestion to move Civil Service (HMRC) offices northwards. Entirely sensible, there's no need for office work to be based south these days.
I reckon Parliament would be better if punted upwards as well. Leave the pretty buildings for tourists, get the biz down somewhere central 9and bin all the second home bollocks).
Birmingham would be obvious as easy to get to and so on.
Scunthorpe would be ace, if only for the graffiti opportunities (seriously, a chance to big up somewhere, like Canberra - why not?)

Think there's a suggestion to move Civil Service (HMRC) offices northwards. Entirely sensible, there's no need for office work to be based south these days.
I reckon Parliament would be better if punted upwards as well. Leave the pretty buildings for tourists, get the biz down somewhere central 9and bin all the second home bollocks).
Scunthorpe would be ace, if only for the graffiti opportunities (seriously, a chance to big up somewhere, like Canberra - why not?)

Parliament sitting in Scunthorpe would be appropriate for a bunch of cúnts

is it functioning now?
No, it's capped currently, but the reason given IIRC was that there wasn't the expected amounts of gas down there, which is a bit strange as they had spent the previous years saying that there was a gold mine of gas there.
We suspect it was more to do with pausing for a bit whilst the protesters were moved out.
Rather amusingly, a local farmer who decided to do his bit to help the enviroment and allowed the eco-loons to use one of his fields had to get the bailiffs in as they wouldn't leave once the site closed.

Yup, Boris has mentioned that 20k+ CS jobs will be transferred to the north. It makse sense these would be HMRC as we already have many HMRC sites in the NW.

Absolutely agree, and to be fair the land mass south of that line is nowhere near as big as real England to the north, so it’d be reasonably economical too :)

To be a little more serious for a second, the issue raised in the OP, and the failure to recognize it by the government of the day, is possibly why the UK as a whole voted to leave the EU. Not necessarily because the EU was “bad”, but because the region in question was getting a raw deal from govt at large.

Either way, it doesn’t really matter, that train is in motion.
I wouldn't say that was the main reason people voted to Leave the EU, but it was certainly a factor.

I don’t think there’s much of HMRC left in London; just the corporate HQ? There was a big push for rustication in the early 90s (Major government IIRC). I remember a big fuss in Nottingham about a load of HMRC jobs moving there.

A lot of service HQs were rusticated then, but of course they could only go as far as Salisbury Plain and certainly nowhere north of Watford gap.

A lot of that went on in the 1960's, I think Bootle still has a lot of Government offices, not sure about anywhere else. More recently there were the Regional Development agencies which did some good work. Abolished a few years ago.

Yes, the Home Office have a place in Bootle, plus the Capital Building and HMPO in Liverpool.

I am a dyed in the wool southern b*****d but levelling up England is long over due. It is totally unfair that young Bleddyn in Wales, Hamish in Scotland and Padraig in NI get a bunch of additional subsidies, local language radio and TV stations, and a free university education while young Bob in Scunny or Manny gets none of this.

I do think some much bolder moves in relocating government departments or whole agencies are needed. Even parliament.

Apart from the up front costs (and why not pay them, borrowing costs are dirt cheap) it offers a few financial boons. Not least flogging off the real estate in the capital to a Chinese/Middle Eastern sovereign wealth fund. I sense the departments that might be moved are reluctant to go too far from the seat of power hence the need for some radical moves.

No, it's capped currently, but the reason given IIRC was that there wasn't the expected amounts of gas down there, which is a bit strange as they had spent the previous years saying that there was a gold mine of gas there.
We suspect it was more to do with pausing for a bit whilst the protesters were moved out.
Rather amusingly, a local farmer who decided to do his bit to help the enviroment and allowed the eco-loons to use one of his fields had to get the bailiffs in as they wouldn't leave once the site closed.
There could be a gold mine of gas down there, and it could still fail to meet expected levels of production for reasons of geology. The only way to find out is to frack and test pressures and flow rates. Only a very limited number of tests were run until it was all stopped because the induced seismicity levels exceeded the (very low) safety threshold that had been set. The fact that there are hundreds of natural seismic events exceeding these thresholds every year doesn't seem to interest anyone.

Much of the issue is down to both Parties when they were in power. Both saw the meaning of capital spending is that it should be done in or around the Capital - London! :)
But but.., Rally Keys, Newcastle, Cardiff etc when HMCE moved it's main offices north back in the noughties....

Move a few government departments up there and actually build and deliver the green projects there rather than awarding contracts to Danish/German companies.
Media City, Salford.

That went well. Locals priced out of housing by the influx of luvvies with the purchasing power to drive prices off the scale, essentially recreating Islington. Most of the jobs were relocated, very few created.

Much of the issue is down to both Parties when they were in power. Both saw the meaning of capital spending is that it should be done in or around the Capital - London! :)
I don’t think it was even that nuanced. Labour want to keep London red and Torys want to break the stranglehold.

It’s called bribery.

How to fix "The North"? Move the capital to York. Then all the money will be spent in the north and not on soft, shandy-swilling, shirt-lifting southern jessies.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
how to fix it?

may I suggest starting with a couple of tactical nukes on liverpool?

Latest Threads