How to Deal with an NCO

It’s been a while for me and things may have changed but I’m another to advise that this isn’t one for the PSI, it’s really not his job.

Is it one or two stripes. If it’s one he may be someone who is experiencing some level of command for the first time, and he may be trying to live up to an image created in his own head.

Your CoC may well be watching hoping he is going to learn soon. For sure if he is a cock to everyone the SNCOs and Platoon Commander will have noticed and a clock is ticking.

Six pages and not a single mention of a throat punch.

I'm not angry, Arrse.

I'm disappointed.

In practical terms, I would raise concerns that his bullying is based on homophobia because you're bisexual.

Playing the LGBT card is always a winner.

It’s been a while for me and things may have changed but I’m another to advise that this isn’t one for the PSI, it’s really not his job.

Is it one or two stripes. If it’s one he may be someone who is experiencing some level of command for the first time, and he may be trying to live up to an image created in his own head.

Your CoC may well be watching hoping he is going to learn soon. For sure if he is a cock to everyone the SNCOs and Platoon Commander will have noticed and a clock is ticking.
Definitely a job for the reserve CoC not the PSIs, although I’d be surprised if they haven’t already made their opinions known. Ours don’t usually hold back, which is how it should be.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reading some of the replies on here I’m genuinely wondering if I serve in the same military as you lot.

No matter how much of a prick your seniors are, it’s absolutely futile gobbing off about it. Unless it’s a genuine case of bullying or abuse with a clear evidence trail (which there doesn’t seem to be in this case), the grown ups will not give a **** if you think the guy above you is a cock.

We all have to work with people we don’t like.

At best, you’ll be told to suck it up, at worst you’ll be marked as a trouble maker who has a problem with authority.

Neither outcome is worth the hassle.

Most of the time the people you’ll be complaining to are the people who put him there in the first place. Not only are you questioning this guy’s suitability as an NCO, you’re questioning their decision to promote him.

Just my experience in 20 years of regular and reserve service in both green and dark blue.

Reading some of the replies on here I’m genuinely wondering if I serve in the same military as you lot.

No matter how much of a prick your seniors are, it’s absolutely futile gobbing off about it. Unless it’s a genuine case of bullying or abuse with a clear evidence trail (which there doesn’t seem to be in this case), the grown ups will not give a **** if you think the guy above you is a cock.

At best, you’ll be told to suck it up, at worst you’ll be marked as a trouble maker who has a problem with authority.

Most of the time the people you’ll be complaining to are the people who put him there in the first place. Not only are you questioning this guy’s suitability as an NCO, you’re questioning their decision to promote him.

Just my experience in 20 years of regular and reserve service in both green and dark blue.
I tend to agree, hence the advice to log it and build evidence BEFORE speaking up.

It may be that those in the chain know something is wrong but can't prove it, but with evidence might be able to fix it.

Or that when the OP tries to write it down realises that the issue isn't the NCO....

JAD

LE
I may be plagiarising someone else here in the Naafi bar but have you thought of errr.... Burning him, burn him with fire? Other opinions are available but not from me.

Yes. I know what you're going to say, but does seniority give you licience to be a cock end? Especially in the reserves where people can chin it off at a moments notice?
Do you not have a Platoon Commander / Sergeant?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I may be plagiarising someone else here in the Naafi bar but have you thought of errr.... Burning him, burn him with fire? Other opinions are available but not from me.

The NAAFI solution is to put a dead fish in the air vents of his car.

When he fires up the heater / air con he’ll get a lovely aroma of rotting fish.

I also recommend a putting crickets (available from most pet shops as reptile food) through his letterbox.

They’ll scatter into the dark corners of his house and every night he’ll wonder why the **** the place sounds like the Amazon rainforest.

I also recommend a putting crickets (available from most pet shops as reptile food) through his letterbox.

They’ll scatter into the dark corners of his house and every night he’ll wonder why the **** the place sounds like the Amazon rainforest.

If he mentions this, sell him some cane toads

Winnet

War Hero
Be sure to always make him a brew , each one being a little win . That may make life a little more bearable for you .
Don't use a white mug .

JAD

LE

Me thinks you may have, errr observed this practice done in a previous life eh Ravers? Definitely no pouring of OX8 brake fluid on the roof and bonnet of the offending knob heads car either. Other caustic or corrosive products are available, from must good QM's stores.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Me thinks you may have, errr observed this practice done in a previous life eh Ravers? Definitely no pouring of OX8 brake fluid on the roof and bonnet of the offending knob heads car either. Other caustic or corrosive products are available, from must good QM's stores.

I discovered the cricket thing by accident.

We used to have a pet bearded dragon (lizard thing) that ate live crickets.

One of the ******* got out of its box and scurried off under some furniture.

It lived for about 6 weeks making that “zzzzt zzzzzt” noise all ******* night, every night.

I later used this knowledge to great effect by emptying an entire box of them through my neighbour’s letterbox.

JAD

LE
I discovered the cricket thing by accident.

We used to have a pet bearded dragon (lizard thing) that ate live crickets.

One of the ******* got out of its box and scurried off under some furniture.

It lived for about 6 weeks making that “zzzzt zzzzzt” noise all ******* night, every night.

I later used this knowledge to great effect by emptying an entire box of them through my neighbour’s letterbox.
I had a beardie too, Nellie. Ate locusts, mori and mealie worms, and lots of greenies too. Fascinating creatures are dragons.

The_Duke

LE

I'll counter that - as an OC I wanted to hear about people like the problem JNCO. Even allowing for getting in 2 hours early for a training night, I still spent most of my evening catching up on paperwork and emails so it was all too easy to get distanced from the shop floor.

I noticed an increasing rate of withdrawals from recruit training, so started conducting exit interviews. It turns out that one utter bellend of a LCpl decided that he alone could tell who would pass or fail, and started streaming them into two groups. Those he thought would pass, and those he thought would fail.

Those he thought would pass got trained and those he thought would fail just got block jobs and dicking about until they left. Given the already significant wastage rate from initial expression of interest to trained soldier, this ******** was costing me valuable potential manpower. That is without the second order effects of rejects I could have directed towards The Rifles or The London Regiment for the greater good, or subsequent loss of interest from mates after he told everyone how shit it was.

Believe it or not, when you "own" the recruiting piece as well as trained soldier, the loss of manpower really matters, and a quick intervention to stop wastage pays dividends.

Latest Threads