Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Deal with an NCO

Sometimes you’ve just gotta take it on the chin and play the game.

I frequently meet absolute bell ends in the reserves. It’s especially frustrating for me as I’m ex regular, but I’m in a branch where you can’t be promoted.

So there are a myriad of ********** out there who’ve done a 10th of the days in rig as me, but are senior to me.

Just gotta suck it up and go home happy in the knowledge that your life is better than theirs and you know more than them.
My concern is when does 'taking it on the chin' turn into 'thin end of the wedge'?

1 gripe I have is before he bollocks people he points out his rank, then the rank of who he's having a word with. So throwing around his rank to allow justify his behaviour.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My concern is when does 'taking it on the chin' turn into 'thin end of the wedge'?

1 gripe I have is before he bollocks people he points out his rank, then the rank of who he's having a word with. So throwing around his rank to allow justify his behaviour.

That’s kind of his job.

cymraeg

War Hero
If you are certain you can back it up then catch up with the **** in civvy Street and put the fear of God into him and what will follow if he doesn't pull his shite together and stops being a bully. If it continues then follow through on your promise.

My money would be on him deflating like a balloon when he isn't in uniform and can't hide behind his tape / tapes

That’s kind of his job.
True, but there are rank slides on front of peoples chests for all to see, to point at it and say the rank, then point out the lower rank seems a bit like the saying 'He who has to say I am King is no true King at all'.

I understand that if I turn up late for parade night, or turn up looking like a bag of shit, or have a rusty rifle, or ND, or lose a piece of kit in the field I would take a bollocking no problem, but when they turn up in a bad mood looking for a dog to kick every Tuesday it aint going to be me.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
True, but there are rank slides on front of peoples chests for all to see, to point at it and say the rank, then point out the lower rank seems a bit like the saying 'He who has to say I am King is no true King at all'.

I understand that if I turn up late for parade night, or turn up looking like a bag of shit, or have a rusty rifle, or ND, or lose a piece of kit in the field I would take a bollocking no problem, but when they turn up in a bad mood looking for a dog to kick every Tuesday it aint going to be me.
Aye, for sure he sounds like a prick.

If it bothers you that much though, pull your finger out, get promoted and tell him what a bell end he is to his face.

If it bothers you that much though, pull your finger out, get promoted and tell him what a bell end he is to his face.

How about going down the Officer route? Was thinking of doing it anyway.

I'm one of those who will point out bad behaviour, even as a sprog but if I was commissioned then surely I could hold a bit more sway with ensuring the NCOs abide by CDRILS etc.

If you are certain you can back it up then catch up with the **** in civvy Street and put the fear of God into him and what will follow if he doesn't pull his shite together and stops being a bully. If it continues then follow through on your promise.

My money would be on him deflating like a balloon when he isn't in uniform and can't hide behind his tape / tapes
Putting the fear of god into someone sounds like threatening behaviour to me.

This isn't great advice either. Admittedly I've found most of my stripes in Cornflakes packets but I've never managed to get one to avoid being picked about by someone more senior than me. There's a process in place to handle issues like this, and once constraints are handled (Reserve CoC) it's the best way.

I'm one of those who will point out bad behaviour, even as a sprog but if I was commissioned then surely I could hold a bit more sway with ensuring the NCOs abide by CDRILS etc.
Bit of a drastic solution, but hey, go for it!

No one has suggested to bum his dog?

Disappointing.
Deliberately omitted for your own good. You couldn’t really justify travelling to his ARC for a spot of bestial pleasure during lockdown.

After lock down though, you can bum his dog if you wish.

Remember - Stay at home, save lives and protect our JNCOs dogs.

5cc84e01b24a0947d59040f8cabad500.jpg

Go for it If you have the qualifications. Not having a dig here, but give it a couple of months and make sure in that couple of months you are performing at 110%. You will need the backing of your boss so working at 110% in your appearance, bearing, attitude and tasks will help the process no end.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Hmmm....

Bloke sounds like a right cock and the advice is to 'work hard' and eventually outrank him? That may be an option if @Mrsheeny is the awesome soldier we all hope he is but 'keep your head down and hope it'll go away' is not exactly going to solve things quickly.

If the OP thinks folks are being bullied and he has proof then he needs to engage the chain of command, that's what it's there for, make them earn their money.

If it's just handbags of course....

Hmmm....

Bloke sounds like a right cock and the advice is to 'work hard' and eventually outrank him? That may be an option if @Mrsheeny is the awesome soldier we all hope he is but 'keep your head down and hope it'll go away' is not exactly going to solve things quickly.

If the OP thinks folks are being bullied and he has proof then he needs to engage the chain of command, that's what it's there for, make them earn their money.

If it's just handbags of course....
I think it may be more the NCO has had a bad day and wants to take it out on someone so believes he can due to his rank, so waits for an opportunity to do so in a way that he was spoken to 10-20 years ago by NCOs when he messed up.

I'm the type of person that can't let things go, so I need to do something about it. What he said to me, how it was said and how it was intended has really got my goat, that and him being probably the most jack person in the unit boils my piss.

I know that he'll have all sorts of excuses up his sleeve, if I go above his head he will bullshit his way out, that's why I was thinking of having a word direct, logging everything from now on and maybe having a word with the PSI who has said negative things about him so we could hear about him swinging his authority around.

You haven't tried so how do you know? If you don't trust your Chain of Command (and the PSI isn't in it) why do you think they may be reluctant to support you?

If you believe everyone else is on the organisation is an idiot, the problem may lie with you...

Private soldiers are 10 a penny in the grand scheme of things

I think it may be more the NCO has had a bad day and wants to take it out on someone so believes he can due to his rank, so waits for an opportunity to do so in a way that he was spoken to 10-20 years ago by NCOs when he messed up.

I'm the type of person that can't let things go, so I need to do something about it. What he said to me, how it was said and how it was intended has really got my goat, that and him being probably the most jack person in the unit boils my piss.

I know that he'll have all sorts of excuses up his sleeve, if I go above his head he will bullshit his way out, that's why I was thinking of having a word direct, logging everything from now on and maybe having a word with the PSI who has said negative things about him so we could hear about him swinging his authority around.

Do not go to the PSI, Q , PSAO or anyone else before using your immediate CoC. You will be seen in a poor light for not using your fellow reservist structure

Be as professional as you can be, do not bite, do not confront him in the TAC or pub. Stop trying to double guess what he may or may not do with some BS when the time comes to answering questions about his behaviour

If you are aware of his attitude then I can guarantee that he is a known as someone with a bad attitude by many others in the unit. The SNCOs and Officers will no doubt be aware of this.

Keeping a log is an excellent idea. The more detail you add , the more weight it will add to your highlighting this bully.

lecky

War Hero
Ask for a quiet constructive word with him. Somewhere private. Make him a brew and ask him for his council as to where he thinks you're going wrong. Humour him with his replies and act in a mature and conciliatory fashion...nodding along in thoughtful and sagely manner as he offers fatherly advice. All whilst knowing that 5 minutes earlier.... you'd just rimmed his tea cup?

Latest Threads