Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Deal with an NCO

It says they are straight.

What does it say about yours when you think him doing the right thing will get him labelled as such
There are several comments in this thread that your initial comment may well have applied to, but you have chosen to apply it to my comment.
That suggests that you are selective in who you wish to be confrontational with, or that you haven't read the entire thread.
You also seem to be struggling to understand plain English, and obviously have no grasp of human nature.
You especially seem to have no experience of interaction between groups of people in close working relationships.
If Mrsheeny does report this NCO, regardless of whether it's the right thing or not, all it will take is for one person to start mumbling about it, and from there it could either snowball or die a death.
It's my advice to him, which he can either take or ignore, in the same way he can take or ignore your advice.
I read what you advised him to do, it isn't what I would do, but your advice is valid, and the OP will form his own opinion.
You're obviously the type of person who feels nobody else is allowed to have an opinion if it differs from yours, but that's just human nature, we all have our different traits.

Thanks for the replies, I've sorted him out with pigs, what do I do with his hair and teeth? Thats the last time he makes me do press ups.

On a serious note, I think logging the occasions where he acts like a cock is a start and will start the ball rolling. Like I said he's left me alone, just recently had crossed words and I didn't know whether I was best to keep me head down or tell him to go and foxtrot himself, ask him where his medals are and challenge him to a scrap.
Don't challenge to a scrap, makes you weak. Log it and let CoC know you have the logs. I had a bully in my troop as a reserve troop commander. I never had the evidence or complaint from anyone to be able to take action. Until he was foolish enough to act the front bottom in front of me. So I pulled him up. The person being bullied had a log, shared it, and he was invited to hand his kit in and not return, eventually.

Keep a log, inform the CoC, include when he is a bully to others that you witness, you want to be able to prove a pattern of behaviour, not a one off that went too far or he got wrong.

My moral compass is not bent, but your comment is confrontational and aggressive.
What does that say about your morals?
My comment was quite clear.
I didn't say Mrsheeny would be a snitch, I said he would have the reputation of being a snitch.
Your comment is pretty rubbish to be fair. It sounds like stalk him then bribe him to leave you alone to me.

Your comment is pretty rubbish to be fair. It sounds like stalk him then bribe him to leave you alone to me.
Your interpretation of my comment is exactly that. Your interpretation, which is valid for you.
Others will see it as good advice, some won't.
The OP asked for advice, which he has been given plenty of.
It's his choice whether he chooses to take any notice, and your choice to post negative, non contributory comments.
It's the way of democracy and free speech, which I'm a very big fan of.

Set up a random Hotmail account so your comments aren't traced back to you and send an email through to his OC and copy him in... sock puppet as the wife of someone at the unit and husband is teetering on jacking the whole thing in.... doesn't need to be tearing a lump out of him, just pointing out grievances that have been noticed and that if the OC values the importance of unit harmony he needs to have a word and said NCO needs to have a word with himself...

Truxx

LE
I spent a little time with the TA. Looking back I think that I can conclude that whilst I loved it I was definitely not cut out for it.

It was an old Inf Bn, where, as far as I could see, effectiveness was inversely proportional to rank, I had huge amounts of time for the boys and girls, much less slack was cut for many of the NCOs and most (but not all) the officers. I had no problems telling them either.

So like I hinted previously, just be much much better at everything than than the bloke getting on your tits. Imagine the time when you overtake him on the promotion stakes and, by the way, you will have lots of fun on the way.

Your interpretation of my comment is exactly that. Your interpretation, which is valid for you.
It's his choice whether he chooses to take any notice, and your choice to post negative, non contributory comments.
Next time caveat it with a risk of police caution for stalking then.

Next time caveat it with a risk of police caution for stalking then.
Next time look up the definition of the criminal activity of stalking, read and understand my initial post, and see if a police caution is warranted.
You may also want to look up the criminal act of wasting police time, of which they have very little to waste.

Next time look up the definition of the criminal activity of stalking, read and understand my initial post, and see if a police caution is warranted.
You may also want to look up the criminal act of wasting police time, of which they have very little to waste.
It doesn't take much imagination to see how finding out where someone lives could go very wrong. And that's before you try and communicate with them in a boozer. It would make it more interesting if either of them were female through.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the replies, I've sorted him out with pigs, what do I do with his hair and teeth? Thats the last time he makes me do press ups.

On a serious note, I think logging the occasions where he acts like a cock is a start and will start the ball rolling. Like I said he's left me alone, just recently had crossed words and I didn't know whether I was best to keep me head down or tell him to go and foxtrot himself, ask him where his medals are and challenge him to a scrap.
I think you need to work out if you’ve had ‘cross words’ or whether you’ve ‘crossed swords’ before taking any further action...

You're handing out shit advice.

SJAR 1) Pte Sheeney is a gobby twat who can't control his anger and lacks maturity
SJAR 2) Pte Sheeney has demonstrated a mature attitude to dealing with conflict in a diplomatic fashion and is clearly ready for promotion.

He's almost written it himself:
If it were me 2 years ago I'd have thrown my kit in, offered him outside and give him a load of abuse but now I'm trying to think a bit more and not take things personally. Advice from the old heads is the order of the day.

Thus far then, the advice in respect of this J/NCO is any one or more of the following:
  • Beat him up
  • Blow him up
  • Grass him up
  • Show him up
  • Cut him up
  • String him up
It seems a little disproportionate when you realise that all the J/NCO did wrong was politely asking Mrs Heeny not to be late on parade again next week. ;)

You're handing out shit advice.

SJAR 1) Pte Sheeney is a gobby twat who can't control his anger and lacks maturity
SJAR 2) Pte Sheeney has demonstrated a mature attitude to dealing with conflict in a diplomatic fashion and is clearly ready for promotion.

He's almost written it himself:
If you think that having a quiet chat in a non confrontational way is 'shit' advice, then perhaps you need to step back and take a little time to think.
You may also want to look at the confrontational manner in which you have responded to my posts, which were aimed at Mrsheeny, not you.
You have unilaterally decided that a confrontational response to my post is required, as everybody who doesn't agree with your advice is wrong.
Reply to this if you wish, I won't be replying to you again as this thread is not about you or I.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Sometimes you’ve just gotta take it on the chin and play the game.

I frequently meet absolute bell ends in the reserves. It’s especially frustrating for me as I’m ex regular, but I’m in a branch where you can’t be promoted.

So there are a myriad of ********** out there who’ve done a 10th of the days in rig as me, but are senior to me.

Just gotta suck it up and go home happy in the knowledge that your life is better than theirs and you know more than them.

Dwarf

LE
I recall a Cpl who reduced to tears a keen-to-learn, enthusiastic lad who turned in regularly. He did this in the bar and didn't care who heard. He was also wrong in what he said.

Yet this Cpl wasn't the best at leadership, turned in regularly but preferred the skive and parade weekends. In the field he wasn't the most enthusiastic, protested at hard work, was lippy to his superiors when asked to do more than the minimum. The soldiers in his section learned more about skiving than good soldiering. He was tolerated to a point because he was always in at a time when numbers were important, he also made a point of avoiding being in my platoon as I was enthusiastic in the field and he would have had to work hard .

OP, if this JNCO is on the same lines then a talk to the CoC may well reinforce any doubts they may have about this individual. If he is not helping unit efficiency then perhaps it is worth getting the CoC to reflect. Losing a regular member who nevertheless maybe costing other potentially keen ne a good regular members may be worth it.
So CoC or PSI.

Truxx

LE
Doesn't stop them though.

It doesn't take much imagination to see how finding out where someone lives could go very wrong. And that's before you try and communicate with them in a boozer. It would make it more interesting if either of them were female through.
Where in my post did I advise Mrsheeny to find out where this NCO lives?

Thus far then, the advice in respect of this J/NCO is any one or more of the following:
  • Beat him up
  • Blow him up
  • Grass him up
  • Show him up
  • Cut him up
  • String him up
It seems a little disproportionate when you realise that all the J/NCO did wrong was politely asking Mrs Heeny not to be late on parade again next week. ;)
No one has suggested to bum his dog?

Disappointing.