Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Deal with an NCO

I can't help with the situation but the fact that you have taken the step back and not acted impulsively can only be commended. It's a maturity thing as you say, in the past it might've been different. You can gain advice,weigh up probabilities and then decide your course of action. Even if that still is removing him from his consciousness.

Dwarf

LE
I can't help with the situation but the fact that you have taken the step back and not acted impulsively can only be commended. It's a maturity thing as you say, in the past it might've been different. You can gain advice,weigh up probabilities and then decide your course of action. Even if that still is removing him from his consciousness.
What he said. I've seen a couple of ways to handle this. One is publicly asking him if he knows he is having a negative effect on people and maybe causing them to leave.Typically done in the unit bar and if done in a reasonable way and in a reasonable tone in front of people it may work. Then again it may have the opposite effect.
You do have a CoC, your Sergeant and Officer,talk to them and say what you have said on here. If they realise he is having a detrimental effect on their soldiers then they should take steps. That type of soldier is often one of the weakest at leadership and likes to make himself feel important by exercising his power. You may also be reinforcing your CoC's feelings about him if they have already realised this andmay urge them to act.
Finally drop in to the centre during the working day and chat to a PSI to ask advice about a situation with no names or pack drill. They will probably know who you are talking about and will either advise you or do something about it.

Good luck with it.

If none of the above works lurk outside his house with a baseball bat.

Last edited:
What he said. I've seen a couple of ways to handle this. One is publicly asking him if he knows he is having a negative effect on people and maybe causing them to leave.Typically done in the unit bar and if done in a reasonable way and in a reasonable tone in front of people it may work. Then again it may have the opposite effect.
You do have a CoC, your Sergeant and Officer,talk to them and say what you have said on here. If they realise he is having a detrimental effect on their soldiers then they should take steps. That type of soldier is often one of the weakest at leadership and likes to make himself feel important by exercising his power. You may also be reinforcing your CoC's feelings about him if they have already realised this andmay urge them to act.
Finally drop in to the centre during the working day and chat to a PSI to ask advice about a situation with no names or pack drill. They will probably know who you are talking about and will either advise you or do something about it.

Good luck with it.

If none of the above works lurk outside his house with a baseball bat.

Totally agree.

You could even point your CoC at this thread to show them how you feel. As I said above somewhere you know the personalities so it would be a decision you would have to make.

Chimp

ADC
Well as you are both enlisted QRs don’t cover you when off duty...

What you need is pigs, hungry ones and don’t forget to remove the teeth for the sake of the piggies digestion.

Failing that I would suggest you take a few minutes to have a brew with him. It’s never going to be an easy conversation and it’s something you need to put a great deal of thought Into. He sounds immature and misguided, probably due to lack of an adequate mentor. Give him the opportunity to correct his ways, he may not realise how damaging his approach is. Suggest alternatives, but also accept that some people may need gripping. You’re reasoning they have mortgages etc misses the point they choose to be there and at some point accepted the rules, they can hardly complain if they are held to those rules.

He could very well be right, but going about it the wrong way (guilty m’lud). Personally I’d rather have an NCO with a bit of spark, ready to make decisions and possibly mistakes along the way, than some weak, grey man type who thinks if they do nothing they can do nothing wrong.

oh and don’t listen to “he said, she said”. Make your own mind up about someone and stop playing playground politics. You’re meant to be soldiers FFS.

Awol

LE
Simples. Drop the word in his hearing that you’re handing your kit in next week, then take him to one side and say that if he doesn’t behave you’re going to turn him into liquid stewing steak because you’ve now got nothing at all to lose.

Read loads of replies from many well respected long time members on this beloved site for us reprobates, be us young old or whatever.
In these times we find ourselves at odds with snowflakes. It is now Woods 100 o'clock ..........my advice is knock the focker out, take him round the back of the sheds and give him a good shoeing. Tell your B/C/W SM why and wherefores and take a bottle of port. Job Jobbed!

You have a Pl/Trp Commander and Sgt, They are your AR command structure. Make them earn their money, rather than going straight to the PSAO or PSI. They have different roles and responsibilities.
OP - how is it that the appointments identified by His Grace, above, don't know what's going on in their unit?

In that case you're probably going to lose.

I'd be asking his Sgt for some advice on dealing with 'difficult people' and dropping in " I'm having trouble with the attitude of LCpl X...."

If he's such a massive bellend others will have noticed

LCpl? Used to call them blygemaakte troep in the army. Rifleman/pvt made happy.

If he's chucking his weight about while wielding so little authority, I think his problem is deeper than what you see. Imagine if he'd been made a sergeant or WO. Weakness masked by bluster and hot air.

Kidnap him and post the bits back to his missus.

Just seeing what the general consensus is.

There's a JNCO/NCO at my unit, in the reserves, he talks like he's Ant Middleton but comes across like Ross Kemp in Extras, all a bit cringey.

He isn't ex-regs but leads people to think he is, always throws his rank around and pulls weaker members to one side to try and intimidate and belittle them.

Recently we have crossed words. I play the game and give respect but how do I get the message across that I'll rip both arms off and hit him with the soggy ends if he thinks he can talk to me like a piece of shit? Without him pulling rank or me getting into trouble or having to change units or leave as a result of me giving him both unfiltered barrells? Or is it I've got to bend over and take it?

Looking for advice as I've got two speeds, stopped and 100mph and I'm trying to be more tactful and not go in guns blazing. If it were me 2 years ago I'd have thrown my kit in, offered him outside and give him a load of abuse but now I'm trying to think a bit more and not take things personally. Advice from the old heads is the order of the day.
Have you thought of pissing in his tea, leaving the biggest turd you can find in his bergen and superglueing his locker.

He might get the hint that he is none too popular with the lads.

Log everything, do it on the day, make it as accurate as possible and secure the document eg journal at home. This has served me well when dealing with people that play fast and loose with the truth.

Instead of a quiet word, request mediation via the CoC. It's formal, at almost the lowest level, and will make him justify his actions while you say I don't understand what I did wrong, can we work it out. If he's the turbo throbber you're portraying him as, this will probably create a massive negative reaction from him, in front of some more senior.

No matter who says what, nothing is ever anonymous. Don't say or do anything you don't want repeated at a later date. People are meant to be professional, but they/we often aren't. Loyalty and perception often gets in the way of professionalism.

With any luck, the noise you create will get him gripped, and you might see a rapid change of attitude. Worse case, he will know that he has to treat you in the manner in which he should.

If Covid wasn't an issue at the moment, and it won't always be an issue, I would suggest go looking for him off duty, find out where he drinks.
Offer to get the beers in, chat about everyday things for a while then start talking about your unit.
In a non confrontational way, try and make your concerns known to him.
Butter him up first, compliment him on some of his positive attributes, try and make it sound as though what you are suggesting, i.e., him ceasing to act like a knob, would be in his best interests, and would enhance his prospects for promotion.
Steer the conversation around to what it is you need him to hear, but make it appear as though his future is what concerns you, because he sounds like a Prima Donna.
Do all this in a matey, pally way.
If that fails, you have two choices.
Put up with his behaviour, or risk getting a reputation as a snitch.

If Covid wasn't an issue at the moment, and it won't always be an issue, I would suggest go looking for him off duty, find out where he drinks.
Offer to get the beers in, chat about everyday things for a while then start talking about your unit.
In a non confrontational way, try and make your concerns known to him.
Butter him up first, compliment him on some of his positive attributes, try and make it sound as though what you are suggesting, i.e., him ceasing to act like a knob, would be in his best interests, and would enhance his prospects for promotion.
Steer the conversation around to what it is you need him to hear, but make it appear as though his future is what concerns you, because he sounds like a Prima Donna.
Do all this in a matey, pally way.
If that fails, you have two choices.
Put up with his behaviour, or risk getting a reputation as a snitch.
Raising such issues is doing the right thing not 'being a snitch'. Your moral compass is bent.

Raising such issues is doing the right thing not 'being a snitch'. Your moral compass is bent.
My moral compass is not bent, but your comment is confrontational and aggressive.
What does that say about your morals?
My comment was quite clear.
I didn't say Mrsheeny would be a snitch, I said he would have the reputation of being a snitch.

My moral compass is not bent, but your comment is confrontational and aggressive.
What does that say about your morals?
My comment was quite clear.
I didn't say Mrsheeny would be a snitch, I said he would have the reputation of being a snitch.
It says they are straight.

What does it say about yours when you think him doing the right thing will get him labelled as such?

Thanks for the replies, I've sorted him out with pigs, what do I do with his hair and teeth? Thats the last time he makes me do press ups.

On a serious note, I think logging the occasions where he acts like a cock is a start and will start the ball rolling. Like I said he's left me alone, just recently had crossed words and I didn't know whether I was best to keep me head down or tell him to go and foxtrot himself, ask him where his medals are and challenge him to a scrap.

Latest Threads