Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Deal with an NCO

The other way to do this is use humour when he is being a bell end use some quips in the hearing of the other guys and belittle him that way. ie did you do it that way in the Regs and if he says yes ask him what unit

The other way to do this is use humour when he is being a bell end use some quips in the hearing of the other guys and belittle him that way. ie did you do it that way in the Regs and if he says yes ask him what unit
The funny thing is I've been treated with more respect and decency from the regs NCOs than this bloke, I'd have thought the opposite be true.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Either. 1. 'ave a quiet word or 2. Service Complaint. Simple really.

Tyk

LE
The funny thing is I've been treated with more respect and decency from the regs NCOs than this bloke, I'd have thought the opposite be true.

To be fair most if not all of the reg NCO's will have had some leadership training as well as their experience of managing people, they will also usually be used to having reserves occasionally helping them out. They'll treat everyone with equal contempt :D
I'll be fair here and say the best project delivery people I've ever had working for me have been serving or retired senior NCO's (all 3 arms of multiple nations) so I'm a bit biased towards their skills.

That's what I meant, if as you say he hasn't been in the Regs asking him what unit he served in and how they did it there will show he is just a bag of wind

CREATURE5334

Old-Salt
When you say 'a quiet word', do you mean a quiet off the record chat, along the lines of you need to sort your life out, or the sort were it is beyond this and it's on the personal side and is in no way constructive?

That's what I meant, if as you say he hasn't been in the Regs asking him what unit he served in and how they did it there will show he is just a bag of wind

Or it may be a red rag to a bull ?
@Mrsheeny - Take it to your own management first. Let them run with it, its part of their job.

Just seeing what the general consensus is.

There's a JNCO/NCO at my unit, in the reserves, he talks like he's Ant Middleton but comes across like Ross Kemp in Extras, all a bit cringey.

He isn't ex-regs but leads people to think he is, always throws his rank around and pulls weaker members to one side to try and intimidate and belittle them.

Recently we have crossed words. I play the game and give respect but how do I get the message across that I'll rip both arms off and hit him with the soggy ends if he thinks he can talk to me like a piece of shit? Without him pulling rank or me getting into trouble or having to change units or leave as a result of me giving him both unfiltered barrells? Or is it I've got to bend over and take it?

Looking for advice as I've got two speeds, stopped and 100mph and I'm trying to be more tactful and not go in guns blazing. If it were me 2 years ago I'd have thrown my kit in, offered him outside and give him a load of abuse but now I'm trying to think a bit more and not take things personally. Advice from the old heads is the order of the day.
eh? its the TA....ergo your hobby and a bit of part-time fun. If it really bothers you that much go and find him in civvy time and ask him why he's being a prick

Truxx

LE
Just seeing what the general consensus is.

There's a JNCO/NCO at my unit, in the reserves, he talks like he's Ant Middleton but comes across like Ross Kemp in Extras, all a bit cringey.

He isn't ex-regs but leads people to think he is, always throws his rank around and pulls weaker members to one side to try and intimidate and belittle them.

Recently we have crossed words. I play the game and give respect but how do I get the message across that I'll rip both arms off and hit him with the soggy ends if he thinks he can talk to me like a piece of shit? Without him pulling rank or me getting into trouble or having to change units or leave as a result of me giving him both unfiltered barrells? Or is it I've got to bend over and take it?

Looking for advice as I've got two speeds, stopped and 100mph and I'm trying to be more tactful and not go in guns blazing. If it were me 2 years ago I'd have thrown my kit in, offered him outside and give him a load of abuse but now I'm trying to think a bit more and not take things personally. Advice from the old heads is the order of the day.
Out-soldier the bastard.

End of chat.

I think a word with the PSI would be worth it.
The PSI is in your chain of command? OK if you're looking for advice but if you're looking to get something done, you should look nearer home.

I think a word with the PSI would be worth it.

Seriously go through your chain of command, its what they are for. If you go direct to the PSI , it could be seen as a snub from you towards them which may cause other problems for you. Use your own troop management first.

Seriously go through your chain of command, its what they are for. If you go direct to the PSI , it could be seen as a snub from you towards them which may cause other problems for you. Use your own troop management first.
But what if Bully boy is senior to the platoon commander in their actual place of work?

WightMivvi

War Hero
A couple of thoughts from an ex-MOD manager who had a fair share of bullying bosses. Although they’re from a civvy, they may still be relevant.

MOD prefers all personality clashes / tackling bullying to start with an “informal” approach. A quiet and respectful word about the situation, what he expects from you, and how his approach may undermine what he wants from you. Stick to the facts, make sure you know the rules about bullying, point out the consequences for him if you were to escalate, and try not to get heated. I did this with the most senior civvy in my unit (scary shouty career destroying Lt Col equivalent). He later said it was the nicest bollocking he’d ever had).

Is there a bullying hotline? I seem to think there was / is. If so, it‘s anonymous and any issues raised will make it back to your CO.

Buried in MOD HR are a series of documents dealing with bullying behaviour, from informal resolution all the way to dismissal of the offender. Although the ones I am think of are civvy focused, the principles are good. If you can get onto MODNET, go into the Defence Intranet, and search for bullying.

Keep a diary - dates, times, situation, what you did, what he did, resulting impacts etc. At the moment, any complaint will be your word against his. A diary can help swing things your way. Try not to let him know you’re doing this because, if things get formal, it’ll blindside him and give you an advantage.

Tyk

LE
A couple of thoughts from an ex-MOD manager who had a fair share of bullying bosses. Although they’re from a civvy, they may still be relevant.

MOD prefers all personality clashes / tackling bullying to start with an “informal” approach. A quiet and respectful word about the situation, what he expects from you, and how his approach may undermine what he wants from you. Stick to the facts, make sure you know the rules about bullying, point out the consequences for him if you were to escalate, and try not to get heated. I did this with the most senior civvy in my unit (scary shouty career destroying Lt Col equivalent). He later said it was the nicest bollocking he’d ever had).

Is there a bullying hotline? I seem to think there was / is. If so, it‘s anonymous and any issues raised will make it back to your CO.

Buried in MOD HR are a series of documents dealing with bullying behaviour, from informal resolution all the way to dismissal of the offender. Although the ones I am think of are civvy focused, the principles are good. If you can get onto MODNET, go into the Defence Intranet, and search for bullying.

Keep a diary - dates, times, situation, what you did, what he did, resulting impacts etc. At the moment, any complaint will be your word against his. A diary can help swing things your way. Try not to let him know you’re doing this because, if things get formal, it’ll blindside him and give you an advantage.

That's the escalation route I've had to exercise in the "clearing up the wreckage" I mentioned in my first post in this thread. Hopefully it can be avoided, but it's sound advice.
@Mrsheeny has said he has two speeds stopped and ludicrous so caution should be exercised, a quiet word in the shell like of a more senior NCO would be the best start (while keeping a diary on the QT as you mentioned) and then a "pleasant chat" with the offending NCO with the senior NCO present/in earshot would be worth a punt.

Latest Threads