How to colour 37 pattern webbing without blanco?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by CDT gruntfuttock, Feb 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. I have recently taken delivery of a rather well-preserved 37 pattern belt, the brass is well polished now, but the belt has been bleached or something by some nong, so it is the raw material colour and almost white.
    The question is, how do I get it to a green or khaki colour to go with DPM trousers nicely?
    I have no idea where to source blanco in NZ, so what would be a good substitute?
    Cheers.

2. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Get a 44 or 58 pattern belt instead.

3. To match wartime KG3, take one pot of Tarrago Shoe Cream No.34 Olive, add to it one teaspoon of Citadel Base Castellan Green acrylic paint.

Mix well.

Apply with a short bristled brush.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sorry about the bleach , when we had it issued in 1980 we had to clean it with something, as Blanco was no longer in use ( cancer or something trivial like that) we had to use Vim and a brush. Webbing looking good after a while, with shiny brasses to match. Shame our hands were red raw and blistered.

5. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

How about soaking in tea?

6. What sort of tea do you drink?

Besides, it doesn't colour anything well unless it's heavily sugared ;)

7. Bleached webbing was very Desert Rat: I read somewhere that the newer hands in the division even resorted to burying their webbing in the sand for a few days to get the effect. Nong or ally: it's a matter of attitude

8. You could always use boot polish, that comes up with a lovely shine. Plus it's something else to polish, so popular with a certain mentality.

In the CCF one bought 'Fleet' which was a palish green, I was very disappointed that blanco was no longer available. The cancer fear does ring a bell.

9. Think it was more to do with the end of NS and the issue of pre-coloured webbing. The amount required to keep Junior Bleeders or whoever Staff just wanted to embugger unduly busy wasn't enough to justify continued production. Once the Army's considerable stocks were depleted.... There wasn't any more.

Original blocks are starting to fetch tidy sums,

10. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Or green string.